Homebrew Emulator NeoGeo Pocket emu for DS

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I think my NeoGeo Pocket emu is ready for a first release.

No save states yet, you should probably use a Bios (at least to get flash ram saving to work), it's still slow on NDS/NDS Lite, can't load games larger than 2MB NDS/NDS Lite.

I haven't done extensive testing of games so please tell me if games doesn't work correctly (the first boss on Sonic bugs out a lot of the time).

https://gbatemp.net/download/ngpds.37181/

Cool. What is the name of emu for DS? Those are for Windows and some for macOS: NeoPop, NeoPocott, neogpc, and Koyote.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Update with some smal fixes
* Added a new border on game screen.
* Added new setting to lower emulated cpu speed.
* Tweaked cpu register usage.
* Fixed MULA opcode.
View attachment 273820

Hi @FluBBa , thx for the update :)

I just did some tests with this new version of NGPDS, the borders are really cool, the speed seems to be a little faster but on the other hand I had a lot of games which crashed right after launching in the selection menus of each game, all fighting games except Samourai Shodown (1) no longer works, pocket tennis color does not work either, I did not make my entire catalog (the one that was compatible with the previous version of NGPDS) but on the fifteen games tested a dozen no longer work and displays the same following message :

IMG_3946.JPG

Note that the error message is very unstable, most of the time the image is scrambled like this :

IMG_3945.JPG

I will be testing my full catalog in the coming days to determine compatibility but in the meantime, just to play, I recommend using the previous version for now.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Indy13 I tried this with both my R4i clone flashcard and some of the bigger games wouldn't load right... but when launching via TWL++ everything ran fast and fine with the only noticeable problems being sound issues (mostly missing sounds for punches and kicks, bullet shots, etc). So for those running on the faster DSi with extra memory, the new version seems to be an improvement.

Edit - here are the games I tried. Everything ran full speed in DSi mode:

Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton - Generally everything seemed fine, even sounds.
Last Blade, The - Beyond the Destiny - missing fighting/blade sounds.
Magical Drop Pocket - Generally everything seemed fine, even sounds. Minor glitches for cat on title screen.
Metal Slug - 1st Mission - missing gun/explosion sounds. Minor occasional graphical glitch.
Metal Slug - 2nd Mission - missing gun/explosion sounds. Minor occasional graphical glitch.
Neo Turf Masters - missing ball hit / crowd sounds.
Puzzle Link 2 - Generally everything seemed fine, even sounds.
Samurai Shodown! 2 - Pocket Fighting Series - missing fighting/blade sounds.
SNK Gals Fighters - missing fighting/punching/kicking sounds.
SNK vs. Capcom - The Match of the Millennium - missing fighting/punching/kicking sounds.
Sonic The Hedgehog - Pocket Adventure - Generally everything seemed fine, even sounds.
Super Real Mahjong - Premium Collection - missing Mahjong tile graphics for player. Sounds mostly missing.

Last edited by wavemotion,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@wavemotion Thank you for your additional tests, not having a DSi, I could not test this new version on this hardware, I did my tests only on my DS Lite with an R4 Gold Pro SDHC 2016, I do not know what @FluBBa plans to do in the future (if he wants to make two versions of NGPDS or one version compatible with both hardware) but I am leaving an archive of the previous version attached for DS Lite owners.

Attachments

• NGPDS (old).zip
    147 KB · Views: 105

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I think my NeoGeo Pocket emu is ready for a first release.

No save states yet, you should probably use a Bios (at least to get flash ram saving to work), it's still slow on NDS/NDS Lite, can't load games larger than 2MB NDS/NDS Lite.

I haven't done extensive testing of games so please tell me if games doesn't work correctly (the first boss on Sonic bugs out a lot of the time).

https://gbatemp.net/download/ngpds.37181/
You could always integrate a paging system into your emulator, with this you can actually bypass the size limitations of the ROM image given the data needed is handled on the fly rather than being loaded all at once. Some emulators in the past have used it and it works wonders in tight technical limitations like this one.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like @wavemotion , I just did some new tests with a little more detail, I tested a catalog of sorted ngp games & homebrews (relative to their size) that worked on the previous version of NGPDS, in these tests I basically encounter two types of bug, the first (the games marked with red lines on the photo attached) is the bug described above with the message "guru meditation error", the second (the games marked with blue lines on the photo in attachment) seems to be a launch bug, upon selection, the ngp logo does not appear, only a white screen appears then the emulator freezes. Just as a reminder, all these games worked on the previous version of NGPDS.

ngp.png

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for the crashes, @Indy13 can you try this build instead?

You don't need to feel sorry @FluBBa for the crashes, on the contrary your work is enormous and it is the goal of the tests to find bugs to refine the purpose of an emulator as far as possible so then sincerely, it is above all for me to thank you for letting me take part in your project as a tester, for a basic user like me it is huge, so a very big thank you to you as well as to the developers who are doing wonders on this forum , thank you all, keep it up and bring the DS scene to life, you guys are awesome ! ;)

I tested the new build and here is my result:

All games with the second bug (those marked with a blue line in the list above) are now working.
For the other games, only gals fighters works, all the others still have this "guru meditation error" message problem.
For these tests, I used the same usual hardware configuration (ds lite + r4 gold pro sdhc 2016) and I use HBMenu 0.7.1 to launch NGPDS

On my side, I tested your last build just above and last blade + Neo Turf are working fine now with DS lite + DSTwo. Thank you so much !

Interesting because on my side, I still have the same "guru meditation error" bug with the last blade, with what are you launching NGPDS? HBmenu, YSmenu or TWL ++?

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting... in my work on the Atari emulators, the only Guru Meditation errors I got was when I overflowed the stack (usually with too much debug crap)... though often the game would just crash and nothing would show on the lower screen.

FluBBa - if you ever want a second set of eyes to look at anything, I'm happy to try and help.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed... but I'm still a tool!

:unsure::lol::D

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Interesting because on my side, I still have the same "guru meditation error" bug with the last blade, with what are you launching NGPDS? HBmenu, YSmenu or TWL ++?

I am launching it just with the .nds using the DSTwo menu, nothing more.

LB.jpg

And here on a 3DS with only a R4i :

3DS.jpg

@FluBBa, is it possible to make it compatible with DLDI patching ?

DLDI.jpg

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am launching it just with the .nds using the DSTwo menu, nothing more.

And here on a 3DS with only a R4i :

Thank you @CrashMidnick for these details, after several tries, I finally succeeded in eliminating this bug of "guru meditation error", it just needs to install the .nds file at the root of the sd card, the problem came from the launch with HBmenu 0.7.1, now all the games work fine ! ^_^

@FluBBa Do you think it would be possible to make this new version of NGPDS compatible with HBmenu 0.7.1 ?

Last edited by Indy13,

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
Yes I will make it compatible with HBMenu, they install some kind of memory checker that complains if the app behaves badly, which means I missed something in the code.
@Indy13 can you post a new image of the Guru Meditation?
About the DLDI thing, I don't know where to start looking? Might have to do with version of my devkitpro?

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
About the DLDI thing, I don't know where to start looking? Might have to do with version of my devkitpro?

To be honest I do not know why few homebrews cannot be patched, mainely NGPDS and wavemotion's Atari 8 bit emulators (they are based on Alekmaul's emulators which can be patched, your old emulators such as nitrografx are patchable too). So there must be something different with your dev tools compared to before.

Well, we are maybe two or three in the world to use slot 2 flash cards, do not spend time on it if you see this a lot of work for pretty much nothing. But I do not know why, I am still in love with my old lady (DS fat) with its M3 slot 2 card : good old time :)

EDIT : I reinstalled DLDI tool and patch was successful this time, unfortunately black screen at boot.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes I will make it compatible with HBMenu, they install some kind of memory checker that complains if the app behaves badly, which means I missed something in the code.
@Indy13 can you post a new image of the Guru Meditation?
Thank you @FluBBa :)

Here is the image of the Guru Meditation on the last version, to have this message I've used Fatal Fury F-contact, let me know if you want other Guru Meditation image with the other games who have this problem too.

IMG_3954.JPG

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to hijack @FluBBa's thread...

I didn't realize the Atari emulators I now caretake for can't be DLDI patched... I just assumed they would work the same as any other emulator built with devkit pro. I'm using libnds 1.8.0 - the latest supported (well, without pulling down custom sources) on my Ubuntu development environment. I can run all 4 Atari emus on both my R4i clone flash cards (two different manufacturers) as well as via hbmenu and, of course, via Twilight Menu. So I assumed there was never any reason to ever DLDI patch anything anymore as everything seems to "auto patch".

Admittedly, I wouldn't even know how to change it - nor if it would even be a good idea to change it.

In a quick Google search, our very own @Robz8 has this to say about libnds 1.8.0 and nds-bootstrap:

https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/nds-bootstrap/issues/937

Last edited by wavemotion,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1