• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Net neutrality rules to be reinstated via executive order

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 2,285
  • Replies 24
  • Likes 9

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Honestly I wasn't aware this is something that could be done by executive order at all, I thought it had to go through the FCC. Happy to see it either way, and hopefully Biden starts taking aim at data caps next.

Edit: turns out I was right and Biden is only issuing a recommendation to restore NN rules via executive order. The current head of the FCC was appointed by him, however, so she is very likely to follow that recommendation.

Last edited by Xzi,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited for Net Neutrality to come back. He needs to put protections in place that permanently fuck over Ajit Pai or whatever the fuck his punchable face is.

220px-Ajit_V._Pai_official_photo.jpg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited for Net Neutrality to come back. He needs to put protections in place that permanently fuck over Ajit Pai or whatever the fuck his punchable face is.

View attachment 269628
I too hope he's miserable wherever he is now, but thankfully Jessica Rosenworcel took over as FCC chairwoman on January 21st of this year.

Reactions: Jayro

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Believe it when I see it, and a dubious use of executive power, but if it is just going to be a political football then eh. Hopefully it comes back though.

Reactions: Immortallix

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing about executive orders is that they are easily undone by the next president. Better than nothing though.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The thing about executive orders is that they are easily undone by the next president. Better than nothing though.
The executive order isn't itself being used to reinstate net neutrality rules, it's simply being used as a directive to tell the FCC to reinstate net neutrality rules. Though even then those rules can be removed by a future FCC chairperson.

Believe it when I see it, and a dubious use of executive power, but if it is just going to be a political football then eh. Hopefully it comes back though.
If anybody turned this into a "political football," it was the party that's in opposition to net neutrality for no coherent reason. They're simply allowing their constituents to be played for fools by big ISPs for a few kickbacks.

Reactions: KingVamp and Lacius

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
odd question but did apple pull out of the EU market cause of their right to repair laws>
so far they're still here :P
apple would never give up on such a giant market for a (very) minor loss in profits. That doesn't mean of course (very likely) lobby against legislation like this.

Reactions: Xzi

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when Net Neutrality got killed, and fuck all happened, despite people acting like it was the end of the world.

Remember when this was supposed to happen?
Z06WssV.jpg
The only thing that came close to that, was when every content creator company that even makes even a few TV shows/movies, decided they wanted to become Netflix.

Net Neutrality coming or going isn't going to stop Comcast from adding caps everywhere, as they were implementing those caps way before Net Neutrality died. Speaking of which, is anyone going to explain to me how Binge On didn't violate Net Neutrality?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by chrisrlink,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Remember when this was supposed to happen?
Z06WssV.jpg

The only thing that came close to that, was when every content creator company that even makes even a few TV shows/movies, decided they wanted to become Netflix.
We got data caps even in places they didn't exist before, and ISPs charging more if you don't bundle with cable TV. That was bad enough. Not to mention there's basically one option for high speed internet in most parts of the country now: either Comcrap or AT&T (who bought Time Warner IIRC).

Net neutrality on its own isn't gonna stop all this, but hopefully some of the antitrust stuff included in the executive order will.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
We got data caps even in places they didn't exist before, and ISPs charging more if you don't bundle with cable TV. That was bad enough. Not to mention there's basically one option for high speed internet in most parts of the country now: either Comcrap or AT&T (who bought Time Warner IIRC).

Net neutrality on its own isn't gonna stop all this, but hopefully some of the antitrust stuff included in the executive order will.

Go with a local ISP not a corporate one, depends on your area

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Go with a local ISP not a corporate one, depends on your area
We haven't had any local ISPs in my area since about the mid-2000s, despite being a fairly big city. They were all bought out by Comcast. I doubt this was uncommon for densely populated areas across the entire US.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM