NetEase invests $100 million dollars into Bungie

IMG_8250.jpg

Bungie, the developer of Destiny and creator of the Halo franchise, is taking steps to become a self-publishing game studio. Part of this plan entails a new partnership with NetEase, a major game publisher in China, who has just invested a staggering $100 million dollars into Bungie. Neither company gave specific details as to what this investment will eventually lead to, but Bungie states that they plan to use this as an opportunity to become "an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously--Destiny and new worlds to come." implying that they'll be working on more games in the future.

Bungie also wants to stress that fact that this won't impact Destiny players, and that the company is still very committed to still creating content and experiences for that franchise.

:arrow: Source

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm honestly surprised someone would invest that much money in Bungie right now. They aren't exactly in their prime at the moment.
they are victim of an awful long-term partnership with activision focused on shitting out destiny episodes. well, they made an idiotic choice to agree to it in the first place, but once so much capital has been invested all they can do is keep going and hope for the best. i think most of the issues regarding destiny 2 are about the monetization of the endgame/bonus content, though i dont follow the game. it's probably easy to see the PR disasters are the fault of the publisher.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are victim of an awful long-term partnership with activision focused on shitting out destiny episodes. well, they made an idiotic choice to agree to it in the first place, but once so much capital has been invested all they can do is keep going and hope for the best. i think most of the issues regarding destiny 2 are about the monetization of the endgame/bonus content, though i dont follow the game. it's probably easy to see the PR disasters are the fault of the publisher.

Oh I understand why Bungie looks the way they do now, but all the same, they don't look like the greatest of devs at the moment.

Reactions: DarthDub and Steena

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
so they want to become an AAA studio now, it doesnt help that their most famous franchise is slipped through their fingers and ended up on microsoft ones...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really glad that Bungie will get to self publish now. If you look at Destiny pre-release, around the H3ODST days, they had planned for Destiny to be a thing for a while and it was their big project. They really wanted to make another big universe like Marathon or Halo. I think Activision really fucked with that a lot though, and you can see it in the first release of Destiny. The game was a barren wasteland in regards to content, and it wasn't until they released The Taken King, which was essentially a huge rerelease of the game on top of having a fucking awesome expansion that the game finally got closer to what it was meant to be.

To be honest, they should have ported Destiny 1 to PC instead of just Destiny 2, because people could see the massive differences in practices regarding DLC and I think everyone would just go to Destiny 1 instead of 2. The point I'm making with this incoherent post is that Activision is literally the devil and should have gone bankrupt in the Atari days.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad investment imo. Sure you could say that Activision is to blame but in the end it's still bungie's fault for Destiny and Destiny 2.

I will never forgive them for when they ousted Marty O'Donnell. Bungie is just a husk of what it used to be.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, it's almost entirely Bungie's fault actually. They arranged a change in the DLC plan for major releases only, just to go back to quarterly releases WITH DLC. Mind you the way it was is as it is now but with no Microtransactions. NONE.

For the Story about that:
Sometime after TTK, they arranged a change in the contract itself so they could release larger content releases with DLC to make up for the quarterly DLC technically going away (hence RoI being a sort of 2nd Comet despite no DLC between TTK and it). They HAD to do this because their map editing software is a complete and absolute nightmare, and to quote; they had to leave the computers on overnight to ensure they had loaded in time for work the next morning (edit 2: presuming there wasn't an error or the computer crashed or some other nightmare).

But then they pulled a fast one on us with D2. They brought the DLC back in, on top of the microtransactions. And based on what we can tell and have heard from leaks, it's the same map editor bs.

There's no way that 'pandering to casuals' would make D2 release with functions missing that even BASE D1 HAD. And no way Activision would tell them to remove those either. There's no way Activision told Bungie to change the story, there's no way Activision was involved in the Music of the Spheres drama as they had no control over the musical IP.

It's all been bungie from the start. The only thing Activision's done far as we can tell is give them a request to have 3 games for 10 years with comet releases in between each game and smaller DLCs (which were taken out of the equation thanks to the above noted contract rework).

This is pure Bungie greed. They do less than the minimum expected of them, and they for the most part are an echo chamber of bad ideas. There was an idea that echo'd in bungue released during the Community Summit that was HORRIBLY lauded by the players who were called to the summit. I mean it was unanimous hatred. And there's plenty of horror stories of former Bungie Reps who have been repeating this Echo chamber exists.

And let's not get started on the lore. To quote Sagira from the OFFICIAL LORE COMIC which contradicts even in-game events:
Sagira said:
"Later Haters".
PS: I wish that quote was a joke. See: http://puu.sh/AxV5W/499368b293.jpg Found on Page 8 of https://comics.bungie.net/en/2/fall-of-osiris/.

Edit 3: This includes the Music of the Spheres incident, which occurred recently, in which they C&D'd someone who had spent years trying to find and discipher the original Music of the Spheres Marty O'Donnell had created, suceeded, and then months later Bungie C&D'd them and have done nothing since.

This hatred of Bungie basically comes from them wanting to rip the guts out of everything from D1 they ever did, and change it to a far worse product.

Last edited by VartioArtel,
Reactions: ShinAbo and Steena

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WEIRD, EVERYONS' TALKING how Activision fucked Bungie, but how didn't Activasion didn't touch Blizzard's Overwatch, really weird.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bungie also wants to stress that fact that this won't impact Destiny players

I would really rather it did affect the players, since that might give the game a fighting chance...

Cool, Halo: Battle Royale.
Because all NetEase makes are BR games.

Bungie does not own the rights to Halo. They were on a contract from Microsoft up until 2010. The last Halo game made by bungie themselves was Reach.

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
I would really rather it did affect the players, since that might give the game a fighting chance...

Bungie does not own the rights to Halo. They were on a contract from Microsoft up until 2010. The last Halo game made by bungie themselves was Reach.
Hm, the more you know :P

Reactions: BORTZ

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't mind if they returned to doing a new arena shooter similar to Halo. But perhaps with all the focus being on the multiplayer.
It'll never happen but I always love the gunplay in Bungie games. It's always very satisfying. Destiny 2's multiplayer is a bit of a headache if you aren't interested in the story part of things, and it's clear it's just tacked on. Despite that it's STILL a lot of fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong