Sony has acquired Halo and Destiny studio Bungie

bbbbbbbb4.png

As Microsoft continues to buy up studios across the industry, Sony isn't far behind, as they have their own acquisition to announce. Bungie, known for developing the Halo series and more recently, Destiny, will be joining the PlayStation family. Sony purchased the team in a deal valued at $3.6 billion. While it may not be as staggering as the Activision deal that Microsoft made, it shows that these major studio buyouts won't be stopping any time soon.

Originally, Bungie started out as an independent developer, and would go on to be purchased by Microsoft in 2000, where they created Halo: Combat Evolved. They would stay with Microsoft until the year 2007, when they split and became their own private company. After that, Bungie signed a contract with Activision that lead to Destiny and Destiny 2.

Sony has prefaced the deal with the fact that Bungie, despite the acquisition, will remain an independent studio and publisher, and will continue to work on multi platform releases.

I am absolutely thrilled to announce a new member will be joining the PlayStation family!

I’ve been a fan of Bungie for many years. I have admired and enjoyed the games that they create – and have great respect for their skill in building worlds that gamers want to explore again and again.

Bungie makes games with outstanding technology that are enormously fun to play. They also have unmatched dedication to the communities that play their games, and everyone at PlayStation, and PlayStation Studios, will be excited about what we can share and learn from them.

I have spent a great deal of time with the senior team at Bungie and it is clear their experience and skills are highly complementary to our own.We will be ready to welcome and support Bungie as they continue to grow, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for this incredible team.

:arrow: Source

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Me initially: Omg Sony bought Halo?!??!

Me realizing Bungie gave Halo away years ago and haven't done much since: oh, neat I guess.

Feels like Sony is a jealous ex and started dating Microsoft's ex to get back at Microsoft for getting a hot new wife

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some excellent IP’s are sitting untapped in Bungie’s vault - I, for one, would love to see a new Oni or Myth game. Destiny in and out of itself has the potential for a never-ending revenue stream. Marathon could make a come-back too, not to mention that as skilled developers Bungie could try their hands at one of Sony’s IP’s - KillZone is the first thing that comes to mind.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unironically the most hilarious shit i've seen today.

Xbox: FUCK YOU PLAYSTATION WE'RE TAKING COD, CRASH AND SPYRO FROM YOU
Playstation: FUCK YOU XBOX WE'RE TAKING THE OG HALO DEVS AND DESTINY FROM YOU
Xbox: FUCK YOU PLAYSTATION
Playstation: FUCK YOU XBOX

We're living in the strangest timeline

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My take on this is that it's actually kind of a good thing seeing as how sony's lacking when it comes to multiplayer first person shooters in their exclusive library, so having Bungie revive Killzone or Resistance would be super based, and a nice response to Microsoft taking COD from them.
But jesus fuck man, the irony is extremely powerful with this one. They're like little kids, taking toys from each other lmaooo

Last edited by 64bitmodels,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that title threw me off at first ngl...
I'm not sure what Sony will gain from this, but if it results in creating new IPs, i'm all for it!

Reactions: felix.200

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My take on this is that it's actually kind of a good thing seeing as how sony's lacking when it comes to multiplayer first person shooters in their exclusive library, so having destiny revive Killzone or Resistance would be super based, and a nice response to Microsoft taking COD from them.
But jesus fuck man, the irony is extremely powerful with this one. They're like little kids, taking toys from each other lmaooo

What are they gaining exactly? Maybe premier access on "timed exclusives." They should be buying out indie devs imo.

Reactions: Snintendog

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some excellent IP’s are sitting untapped in Bungie’s vault - I, for one, would love to see a new Oni or Myth game. Destiny in and out of itself has the potential for a never-ending revenue stream. Marathon could make a come-back too, not to mention that as skilled developers Bungie could try their hands at one of Sony’s IP’s - KillZone is the first thing that comes to mind.
A new Oni would be pretty cool but rather problematic due to the IP being owned by Rockstar/Take 2.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destiny 2.

38 million users. One of the biggest properties out there.
Which is also on other platforms other than just PS.. It could work out if they're after monetary gains here, even i don't think it's that simple for a pre-existing IP.. But i thought Sony was all about games & exclusives, and that's what THEY're going for here.🤷🏻‍♂️

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Feels like Sony is a jealous ex and started dating Microsoft's ex to get back at Microsoft for getting a hot new wife
This feels more like so Microsoft getting a proper Harem while Sony is trying to step up from an anime body pillow.

Seriously though, regardless of the matter of purchase I find it odd that Bungie of all studios would be on any big radar. Destiny 2 aside its not like they have much else in their pipe. Perhaps they just do not have enough big dollars for something along the lines of T2 or perhaps go after some of their inland dev studios such as Capcom or Sega.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Could just be Sony bs locking partitions and all like lol shouldn't of removed it