Hacking New 3DS XL black screens

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got this new 3dsxl on ebay, when i got it, it boots, you hear the system menu, but the screens are black. I installed b9s with a flashcart, and the screens work for that. I tried safe mode, and that worked. Ive tried to ctrtransfer, wipe the ctrnand, ctrtransfer again, etc, i cant get it to boot the home menu. (Godmode9 and other payloads still boot and display fine, along with safemode)

Edit: the camera ribbon cable was malfunctioning, and causing this

Last edited by froggestspirit,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this, although it still gives black screens with a blue led and yellow led for wifi. Booting without the SD card does the same thing
Try deleting the extdata. It's found in Nintendo 3DS\xxxx\xxxx\extdata\00000000\0000008f. For USA consoles, delete what's in bold and try booting.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, ive tried both that, and a ctr transfer i made from my working small new3ds.
Im kind of looking to completely wipe the system, i got backups of movable.sed, localfriendcodeseed_b, and secureinfo_a
Do you have Luma injected into CTRNAND? If so, with the power off, take out your SD card and then try booting the 3DS to see if you get the Home Menu to load.

If you don't have Luma injected into CTRNAND then follow this:
3ds.guide said:
Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS
  1. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  2. If you are prompted to create an essential files backup, press (A) to do so, then press (A) to continue once it has completed
  3. If you are prompted to fix the RTC date&time, press (A) to do so, then set the date and time, then press (A) to continue
    • Note that, if you had to fix the RTC date and time, you will have to fix the time in the System Settings as well after this guide
  4. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
  5. Select “Scripts…”
  6. Select “setup_ctrnand_luma3ds”
  7. When prompted, press (A) to proceed
  8. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND (lvl1) writing, then input the key combo given
  9. Press (A) to continue
  10. Press (A) to relock write permissions

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have Luma injected into CTRNAND? If so, with the power off, take out your SD card and then try booting the 3DS to see if you get the Home Menu to load.

If you don't have Luma injected into CTRNAND then follow this:
Yes, i have luma both on the sd, and injected into sysnand. Booting without the sd card gives the same symptoms as with it

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm going to try injecting a working nand from my new3ds(small) as an emunand on the xl to try and fix it
Do you mean a CTR transfer or NAND backup? A NAND backup won't work and there's no reason to extract a CTR transfer image from another console, since there are community images you can use.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean a CTR transfer or NAND backup? A NAND backup won't work and there's no reason to extract a CTR transfer image from another console, since there are community images you can use.
Im wondering whats wrong with it then...
Edit: boots now with menu sounds, screens dont turn on, and freezes shortly after
Edit2: i got it booting correctly, i unplugged a few things from the mobo, ill try plugging them back in 1 by 1 to isolate it. It was a hardware issue
It was the camera ribbon cable

Last edited by froggestspirit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/7EHimfmhrok?si=xpxDoYFxnBtuAR7P