Gaming New Banning Wave Started!?

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Prime said:
I've played no games early before retail date so I hope I'm fine.

So scared tho. 360 without live is useless imo.
Same here.
Without live all you have left in single player which IMO gets boring after a while.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, I see one possible commonality between all of the banned that posted in this topic: Playing backups before the retail release date.

Perhaps this will highlight the importance of patience among the reckless.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally live rates shortly behind achievements when it comes to pointless things the 360 has. Network/splitscreen and even single player is far more fun than live for me*. Of course trying to find a co-op game nowadays is hard and after 14 years streets of rage 2 is starting to lose the charm it once had.

Then again actually paying for internet play is something I would never do, paying to be insulted by the vast majority of those I meet on live is even worse.

*qualifying remark: I tend to only dabble in consoles. PC internet/network play is far nicer than any console experience I have had.

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
man, i dont see what microsoft gain from banning people? They say to keep the company genuine and so we buy the games? Thats just stupid in my opinion! im still gunna pirate games along with the rest of the people who got banned, so what are they gunna lose? a couple of hundred in sales from each pirate every year? No, theyre just gunna lose £35 a year from each pirate, what idiots. Id buy another 360 but whats the point, it'll probs die. Fuck microsoft because theyre just losing money and not gunnna gain anything...i doubt us pirates are gunna be like "oh, fuck ive been banned! Gunna buy every game now!"

Cunts

Rebellion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jaxxster said:
man, i dont see what microsoft gain from banning people? They say to keep the company genuine and so we buy the games? Thats just stupid in my opinion! im still gunna pirate games along with the rest of the people who got banned, so what are they gunna lose? a couple of hundred in sales from each pirate every year? No, theyre just gunna lose £35 a year from each pirate, what idiots. Id buy another 360 but whats the point, it'll probs die. Fuck microsoft because theyre just losing money and not gunnna gain anything...i doubt us pirates are gunna be like "oh, fuck ive been banned! Gunna buy every game now!"

Cunts

It's sort of their tradeoff. "You can't pay for your games, you can't play with your friends." Kind of thing.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas sales. Ban consoles now , but not tags , and lots will just buy another console and carry on. Boost their Christmas numbers. Don't know why people are so pissed though , you play the backups , you take your chances and people were perfectly happy with only originals online on xbox one and backups offline only or on another box , but 360 people want to have their cake and eat it
tongue.gif

gekiwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jaxxster said:

Cunts

Why would they ban? If some one gets banned by pirating games they are not paying customers, but they made money on the console. If they get banned and payed for live they dont get a refund so MS keeps the money. Then the banned person get another console and MS sees a bit more money. Then the cycle repeats itself. So in the end they gain some money and loose some one who does not give them money.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
FAST6191 said:
Personally live rates shortly behind achievements when it comes to pointless things the 360 has.
Seconded - live is slightly ahead of achievements for me though. Live is pretty pointless, but achievements are completely pointless.

QUOTE(jaxxster @ Nov 14 2008, 11:53 PM) man, i dont see what microsoft gain from banning people?
Because they know some idiot will go out and buy another console. It makes it look like the 360 has a larger install base than it really does.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Live is fantastic, and I don't see how you could call it pointless, nor are acheivements. Both add much replay value to often short games. Up until a few days ago, I still popped GEars 1 into my 360 to play online when I was bored with COD4.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
gekiwolf said:
jaxxster said:

Cunts

Why would they ban? If some one gets banned by pirating games they are not paying customers, but they made money on the console. If they get banned and payed for live they dont get a refund so MS keeps the money. Then the banned person get another console and MS sees a bit more money. Then the cycle repeats itself. So in the end they gain some money and loose some one who does not give them money.

That'd be totally valid if microsoft weren't making a loss per console.

Also, was just playing online on my CoD:WaW backup (Yes a genuine backup, not a download! Course, it was a friends retail.) and got disconnected from live. I was bricking it thinking 'that's it, banned', turned out my router was just shitting itself.
tongue.gif

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
Personally live rates shortly behind achievements when it comes to pointless things the 360 has. Network/splitscreen and even single player is far more fun than live for me*. Of course trying to find a co-op game nowadays is hard and after 14 years streets of rage 2 is starting to lose the charm it once had.
On my first 360 I thought achievements were a joke but now I have to say they really help me finish games. We've had the talks before, an abundance of free or even paid for games often leads to games just sitting on a desk, hard drive, of even flash cart with never getting played but the achievements give me goals. I boot up and see and 120/1000 and it reminds me I never finished. On top of that Dead Rising would have been probally boring and a quick play through if there was no achievments. I beat it 2 times and took a break, then after burnout was like, "oh shit I need that savior achievment and found out there was a whole nother ending." Achievements may not be for everyone but with my A.D.D. riddled brain they helped me focus.

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Nov 14 2008, 04:25 PM) Then again actually paying for internet play is something I would never do, paying to be insulted by the vast majority of those I meet on live is even worse.
I have to say this was very hard for me to do, I mean the price is nothing in terms of killing the bank but more of a principle thing. Did I have to pay to play Tribes? UT2k4? Diablo? Then WTF should I pay for Live? But when you are worried about getting banned having a gold membership gives you one more week to get those XBLA games you crave (SSFT HD Remix please). And in the end it took me a free web cam, Uno, 200 Microsoft points and a year of live for $50 to budge.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
WeaponXxX said:
FAST6191 said:
On my first 360 I thought achievements were a joke but now I have to say they really help me finish games. We've had the talks before, an abundance of free or even paid for games often leads to games just sitting on a desk, hard drive, of even flash cart with never getting played but the achievements give me goals. I boot up and see and 120/1000 and it reminds me I never finished. On top of that Dead Rising would have been probally boring and a quick play through if there was no achievments. I beat it 2 times and took a break, then after burnout was like, "oh shit I need that savior achievment and found out there was a whole nother ending." Achievements may not be for everyone but with my A.D.D. riddled brain they helped me focus.

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Nov 14 2008, 04:25 PM) Then again actually paying for internet play is something I would never do, paying to be insulted by the vast majority of those I meet on live is even worse.
I have to say this was very hard for me to do, I mean the price is nothing in terms of killing the bank but more of a principle thing. Did I have to pay to play Tribes? UT2k4? Diablo? Then WTF should I pay for Live? But when you are worried about getting banned having a gold membership gives you one more week to get those XBLA games you crave (SSFT HD Remix please). And in the end it took me a free web cam, Uno, 200 Microsoft points and a year of live for $50 to budge.

Well seeing as I've covered the cost of my console and a year of live by flashing (you can make your mind up on how I saved the money!) I don't really mind paying the amount for live. Assuming I manage to avoid being banned everythings gonna be alright!

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JKR Firefox said:
Wait, does being banned also disable any download rights?

For example, would I no longer be able to download updates?

Console doesn't even attempt to connect to Live anymore lol so nothing can be downloaded. You can get updates from various sites across the web, including Microsoft, so thats not really a problem. I still got 800 points I wanted to spend but gonna have to wait til I get my new 360 lol.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WeaponXxX said:
FAST6191 said:

Perhaps but taking it in turns to do levels or mess around with friends/family/random passers by on otherwise single player games. On the other hand I have that many games available if it does not hold my attention (and there are more than enough games every month I can find myself still playing at 4 in the morning) then it is not worthy.
On the other hand you seem to have the idea on achievements that the developers seemed to be aiming for, more that enough people I have met take the epenis route (renting a game just for easy points........). At least buying a fast car/big TV gives you a fast car/big TV to use. On live some days I actually saw people with some skills being chastised for lack of gamerscore, at least with the being insulted I can mute you and still enjoy a challenge.

WeaponXxX said:
QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Nov 14 2008, 04:25 PM)
Then again actually paying for internet play is something I would never do, paying to be insulted by the vast majority of those I meet on live is even worse.

While the expense is not exactly bank breaking either and less than it costs for one night out add in usenet, internet and various other monthly expenses and I would have to justify it. In the contest between live and usenet (arguably an extra, especially as my ISP has an albeit slow (180kbytes/sec) giganews hookup) usenet still wins. Then again despite being able to do otherwise I am still a take my games where I can get them kind of person, if live and the minigames therein is not an option there are many other avenues.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Banned, damn it. Oh well, gonna swing by a store later and buy a new Arcade + the original copy of World at War. Gonna play pirates on my banned console and originals on my new one. Woohoo!
smile.gif

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Phew as of right now I'm still not banned
tongue.gif

MaHe said:
Banned, damn it. Oh well, gonna swing by a store later and buy a new Arcade + the original copy of World at War. Gonna play pirates on my banned console and originals on my new one. Woohoo!
smile.gif

What did you do to trigger the ban?

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Moots said:
nor are acheivements. Both add much replay value to often short games.
Replay value? There are hundreds of games for the 3 main systems, thousands more for the handhelds plus thousands of "retro" titles I've not played. Why would I want to waste time playing a game I've already finished with? "Achievements" are just a cheap/crap way of trying to make it look like a game has replay value, instead of adding more actual content. Besides - why do you need achievements to play a game again? Are you in the military and need everything structured? Can you not decide to do it for yourself? =]

QUOTE(Carnivean @ Nov 15 2008, 05:02 AM) That'd be totally valid if microsoft weren't making a loss per console.
I don't think MS haven't been making a loss on the consoles for a while and read what I actually said "It makes it look like the 360 has a larger install base than it really does." not "it makes them more money". All manufacturers lose money on consoles, which they are prepared to do in the hopes of getting the largest installed userbase (which means more developers, more games, more moneyz!!!! ;> ).

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Damn hope i don't get banned...i haven't ever connected to live or had an ethernet cable plugged to my 360 and i've played all my games after release but i still have one question, i think i might have played rock band a week or so before it was released here in sweden, you guys think that will affect anything once i coonnect to live? And if so should i just remove all the saves and history from that game and everything will be fine and dandy?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh