New EZ4 SDHC in house at GBAtemp

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A heavily compressed No-Intro set is about 6.5~7GB, so you'd most likely be unable to fit it all in an 8GB microSD.
I suppose you could fit it in a 32GB card then?

Anyway, going to get one, this is amazing! :yaysp:
(unless Krikzz comes out with an RTC clock on the Everdrive GBA)

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.... perhaps the EZ Flash team heard about rumors of an Everdrive GBA and decided to produce this new EZ4 as a competing product.

That's what I'm thinking. Personally, I'll stick with my MiniSD model. Though I might consider an everdrive GBA when it comes out. Hopefully it won't use a battery-backed save...

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A heavily compressed No-Intro set is about 6.5~7GB, so you'd most likely be unable to fit it all in an 8GB microSD.

Is that across all regions, though? There's no reason to put all of those on, stick to your region plus whatever imports you'll actually play and it should be plenty of space, right? (And there's probably plenty of in region stuff worth leaving off. Mary Kate & Ashley? Yeah, really need that) :lol:

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is that across all regions, though? There's no reason to put all of those on, stick to your region plus whatever imports you'll actually play and it should be plenty of space, right? (And there's probably plenty of in region stuff worth leaving off. Mary Kate & Ashley? Yeah, really need that) :lol:
That's with similar games being compressed together in order to save storage space. Uncompressed it's about 24GB, but like you said you only need one version of a game so removing all the duplicates probably brings it down lower than that.

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the old white one with the mini sd slot. good thing I chose an adapter instead of an actual mini sd card. those things get stuck in there pretty good.

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Im waiting Everdrive GBA

BygSO7dCIAElJui.jpg

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i wonder what i will do now whit this ez iv that i have with NOR not being able to write the full 32MB :/

the new ez iv looks awesome... but its a shame i can't spend 40 bucks again for the same card...

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'm all for resurrecting the EZ4 carts I'd really like to see the Deluxe back in production but in a GBA sized case... Or better yet w/ swappable cases: a DS Lite sized and GBA sized.

If my Lite Deluxe were to die I don't think I could go back to having to burn 256Mb games to NOR.

Reactions: pelago

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just picked up an Everdrive GB and I absolutely love the thing. I didn't know we were waiting on one for GBA though. Yeah I will definitely get the Everdrive. Still might want one of these too. I wish I were still on EZTeams mailing list. Would be interesting to see how the two compare.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FAST6191: Any chance you could pass upon that request to make hard reset the default? And, again, a request for the kernel source to be open? :) As it stands, I'm rather happy at just how much effort they put into it. Though this new model tends to explain the recent update.

PS - A very nasty bug in their new boot loader. If you hold down R to update the ezfla_up.bin, it doesn't actually check that there's an ezfla_up.bin on the SD card. It'll just merrily erase the current loader, which can make it unbootable until you copy over the ezfla_up.bin and reinstall it. :~( I wonder if there's a way to fix that.

Odd, I once had to edit the name/header to match to flash an alt loader (I wanted ezf3me to load automatically to boot the NOR).

Anyway I do not speak to the EZTeam that much these days but I will pass it along when I do speak to them next. It sounded like they have some people and are potentially interested in polishing the loader up a bit, the big push/first goal presumably being the new chip(s) and SDHC support though.

I am not sure if they will open source it. The talk was for the EZ5 to be open sourced now it is not doing a lot, the EZ4 is current again so perhaps not. On the other hand I shall remind them why their 3 in 1 was the expansion pack of choice, how the ak2i rose up on the back of AKAIO, the whole DLDI thing and why things that did not manage to get the devs of pogoshell onboard faced some issues during the GBA era.

While I'm all for resurrecting the EZ4 carts I'd really like to see the Deluxe back in production but in a GBA sized case... Or better yet w/ swappable cases: a DS Lite sized and GBA sized.

If my Lite Deluxe were to die I don't think I could go back to having to burn 256Mb games to NOR.

Yeah I am not sure why they went for this model. I know some of the chip sizes kind of stalled for a hot moment but oh well.
Hopefully my stockpile of two lite deluxes keeps me going for some time to come (a shop was selling them off once for less than 20 Euros a piece, guess they did not know what they had).

Anyway I am not sure what to do for a review for this -- it is an EZ4, the features compared to some of the stuff from the height of the GBA scene are not really there (late GBA era saw ROM compression, good cheats, something approaching savestates, sleep, soft reset and a bit more). However it does run most games out there, if not then chances are it is sorted with links to http://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 and none will have slowdown that was not present in the original game.
Despite all that it is still about the only standalone GBA flash cart that you will probably be able to find today, the main exceptions being the supercard (slowdowns, low compatibility and not much fun to use) and I occasionally stumble across a firecard (usually the 16 megabyte version). Krikzz may come out with an everdrive at some point but at the same time it is not like this will stop running basically every GBA game.

I might do a combined review and usage guide, such a thing has been on the cards for quite a while actually.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I am not sure why they went for this model. I know some of the chip sizes kind of stalled for a hot moment but oh well.
Hopefully my stockpile of two lite deluxes keeps me going for some time to come (a shop was selling them off once for less than 20 Euros a piece, guess they did not know what they had).

My sour grapes about your good fortune border on hatred. Don't ever talk to me again. :-) J/K, that's a damn nice score.

Anyway I am not sure what to do for a review for this -- it is an EZ4, the features compared to some of the stuff from the height of the GBA scene are not really there (late GBA era saw ROM compression, good cheats, something approaching savestates, sleep, soft reset and a bit more). However it does run most games out there, if not then chances are it is sorted with links to http://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 and none will have slowdown that was not present in the original game.
Despite all that it is still about the only standalone GBA flash cart that you will probably be able to find today, the main exceptions being the supercard (slowdowns, low compatibility and not much fun to use) and I occasionally stumble across a firecard (usually the 16 megabyte version). Krikzz may come out with an everdrive at some point but at the same time it is not like this will stop running basically every GBA game.

I might do a combined review and usage guide, such a thing has been on the cards for quite a while actually.

I'd try to keep from comparing it to the "golden age" carts, personally. While I am quite aware of the awesomeness that was, I think most people that are looking for a GBA cart now are not. The other reason is that you can't really get those carts anymore, so comparing it to competition that for all intents and purposes no longer exists is really not a valid basis for assessment of feature set or quality... It's also a big tease and nose thumbing to people who don't own those golden age carts. You don't want to be a smug l33t bastard do you? :-D

The lack of RTC is worth mention for the Poke-Fans, but not a good reason to downgrade your score, for example. The other features of the EZ3 that were stripped for the EZ4, I wouldn't even bring up nor, again, adjust the score based on their being missing. Ammend it later if/when Krikzz's solution offers some competition. That's how I'd do it anyway.

BTW, do you happen to know the price these are supposed to sell at?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays