cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

I was going to buy one of the first ones but it was out of stock, but there's a new version coming out that's solderless so even better! Really just plug and play (well, after disassembling ;))

Not sure why the product didn't just wait until the drive connector was included, and not need to be soldered to the motherboard... but no real complaints there.
Cool for the people who could get it early. At least now I won't need to shell out some $$$ for a nice soldering iron.

Hopefully it's around the same price ($80) :)

- I think I read it's $90 - cool

Last edited by cearp,

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Is it open source?
maybe ask on his twitter :) but i'm not sure if citrus3000psi is the sole creator.
some of the other projects are opensource, like sd2sp2 etc - https://github.com/citrus3000psi/SD2SP2

the thing is, all this work can't be cheap, and if you look on ebay/aliexpress, there are loads of chinese sellers selling the sd2sp2 - which is great, but it is important that for a major work like the gc loader, that the creators get some $ so they can work more.

as much as i am pro opensource, i don't boycott if things aren't, i fully understand their reasoning.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're in Europe, I would still wait till meneerbeer sets up distribution (especially if you're in a country that likes to screw you with customs charges).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was waiting for this to happen. I could not understand why an ODE would require soldering, when disc drives are almost always modular and not soldered on. I guess tracking down the right type of connector, or manufacturing them if they can't be found can be a challenge though.
maybe ask on his twitter :) but i'm not sure if citrus3000psi is the sole creator.
some of the other projects are opensource, like sd2sp2 etc - https://github.com/citrus3000psi/SD2SP2

the thing is, all this work can't be cheap, and if you look on ebay/aliexpress, there are loads of chinese sellers selling the sd2sp2 - which is great, but it is important that for a major work like the gc loader, that the creators get some $ so they can work more.

as much as i am pro opensource, i don't boycott if things aren't, i fully understand their reasoning.
The SD2SP2 is a very simple device, that would have been reverse engineered in minutes anyway.
I don't see this going open source any time soon, as you say, the guy has to get something in return for all the time invested in it.
But maybe in the future. If he doesn't intend to make a living from selling such devices, and just wants to get something in return to make it worth his time, he could very well open source it. Or he could keep it closed source, and use it as an income (primary or secondary), which is fine too. It's his blood, sweat and tears we have to thank, without him this wouldn't even exist.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Philipp_94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So if I (complete newbie to gc modding, just learned today) understand this correct.
You buy that, put a SD card into it, load some Homebrew/cfw stuff onto the SD and boom you got a working, back up loading and home brew able gc?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So if I (complete newbie to gc modding, just learned today) understand this correct.
You buy that, put a SD card into it, load some Homebrew/cfw stuff onto the SD and boom you got a working, back up loading and home brew able gc?
It only runs disc images by itself (though you certainly can run Swiss which can run some homebrews from the virtual miniDVD, and may support freely browsing the ODE's SD card), but yep - if you buy this, you don't need a chip, bootrom replacement, ...
You may want to also buy an SD gecko (most supported device) for any problematic homebrews, if you care for those

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
yes.

this thing is also pretty cool -https://www.badassconsoles.com/hyperboot/ - it let's you load homebrew (or games, swiss -> isos) from a gc memory card slot sd card/maybe sd2sp2. but it's because the isos are still booting from the gc memory card slot, it's not perfect compatibility.
but for $25... it's pretty good. it can be cheaper than using an expoited game + save combo, plus better since it doesn't use the disk drive.

of course, the plug and play ode (gc loader) for $90 is much better, perfect comparability is possible (currently, some rare few games have some bugs because the ODE is too fast - funny! but it's easily updateable, i guess it will be fixed)

Last edited by cearp,

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks pretty cool... and being solder less so quick between rev 1 and 2 is awesome!

The price is right

I just play GC on my modded Wii U though. I know, the av output isn't as strong as using like a Carby with DOL-001 units, but I sold my Carby because I wasn't using it much. Also prefer to not deal with another system of memory cards and go the virtual memory card route. My Wii U has still been in storage since moving too

I think this is a fantastic solution for GC hardware fans though and GB Player diehards

citrus3000psi is such a good creator, I love my DCHDMI console to pieces

Last edited by playstays_shun,
Reactions: Alexander1970

cyo_the_vile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He more or less distributes and assembles a LOT of hot game console mod kits. He is the USA distributor for GCLoader. Meneerbear is the EU distributor and actual creator of GCLoader

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1