Hacking Question New switch and fresh install

ReDEyeDz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Just bought a Switch and I'm a little bit overwhelmed by all the stuff people talk about in this subforum.
First of all, it's a 3.0.1 version and I didn't connect it to the internet yet. I ordered SX PRO and it's on it's way and will be here in like 2 weeks from now.
What are my actions should be right now? Well, besides buying an sd card and type-c cable.
3.0.1 should be safe to hack, right? (XAJ400211) I heard it's only 4.x.x+ versions that have hardware fix on them.
I guess I'm safe to update it to the latest version as I wouldn't be able to play newest games otherwise?
Thanks in advance

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a Switch and I'm a little bit overwhelmed by all the stuff people talk about in this subforum.
First of all, it's a 3.0.1 version and I didn't connect it to the internet yet. I ordered SX PRO and it's on it's way and will be here in like 2 weeks from now.
What are my actions should be right now? Well, besides buying an sd card and type-c cable.
3.0.1 should be safe to hack, right? (XAJ400211) I heard it's only 4.x.x+ versions that have hardware fix on them.
I guess I'm safe to update it to the latest version as I wouldn't be able to play newest games otherwise?
Thanks in advance
OK, personally, and I'm sure many will have other ideas, but as you're getting SX Pro, in order to play any currently available games I'd first update my fiormware to 5.1.0 latest.
Get an exfat formatted SD card, pop it in and let the Switch auto update the driver to support exfat.
Saves all the fussing around with splitting large files etc and AFAIK only Lakka needs Fat 32 these days.
5.1.0 also seems the most compatible version for HBL (at least I've had no issues with any of it).

Then read up how to take a NAND dump and get that done just in case something goes badly wrong in future so you can restore it back.
For that you'll need to find out about how to put in RCM mode and push a payload (I used CTCaer 3.2).
That's really the only complicated bit but there's plenty of good tutorials here.
If you don't want to try to short pins, just wait til you get your Pro/dongle to do that bit.

Once you get your Pro, just follow the instruction on sx.xecuter.com - it's pretty easy to setup and use especially if you have a dongle.
I put mine in AutoRCM mode so I didn't need to keep using a jig.

Then fill her up with xci's or nsps of your backups - works a bit like FBI on the 3DS.

This is all based on my experience and I've been perfectly happy playing any games and emulators etc without hardly any issues to date.
I think the SX Pro for $40 or so is well worth it.

Reactions: ReDEyeDz

ReDEyeDz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
OK, personally, and I'm sure many will have other ideas, but as you're getting SX Pro, in order to play any currently available games I'd first update my fiormware to 5.1.0 latest.
Get an exfat formatted SD card, pop it in and let the Switch auto update the driver to support exfat.
Saves all the fussing around with splitting large files etc and AFAIK only Lakka needs Fat 32 these days.
5.1.0 also seems the most compatible version for HBL (at least I've had no issues with any of it).

Then read up how to take a NAND dump and get that done just in case something goes badly wrong in future so you can restore it back.
For that you'll need to find out about how to put in RCM mode and push a payload (I used CTCaer 3.2).
That's really the only complicated bit but there's plenty of good tutorials here.
If you don't want to try to short pins, just wait til you get your Pro/dongle to do that bit.

Once you get your Pro, just follow the instruction on sx.xecuter.com - it's pretty easy to setup and use especially if you have a dongle.
I put mine in AutoRCM mode so I didn't need to keep using a jig.

Then fill her up with xci's or nsps of your backups - works a bit like FBI on the 3DS.

This is all based on my experience and I've been perfectly happy playing any games and emulators etc without hardly any issues to date.
I think the SX Pro for $40 or so is well worth it.
This is exactly the answer I wanted. Thank you very much. I'll just wait for the jig to backup nand then.
I heard AutoRCM mode has some problems with battery usage and sleep mode/charging. Is it still true or are there fixes for that? And what sd card would you suggest? People say Samsung EVOs are good. I'm using 64gb on my 3ds, but I guess I need minimum of 128 for Switch tho.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is exactly the answer I wanted. Thank you very much. I'll just wait for the jig to backup nand then.
I heard AutoRCM mode has some problems with battery usage and sleep mode/charging. Is it still true or are there fixes for that? And what sd card would you suggest? People say Samsung EVOs are good. I'm using 64gb on my 3ds, but I guess I need minimum of 128 for Switch tho.
I think there were battery issues in the past but these are long resolved now.
I've not had any problem staying in AutoRCM and using sleep mode. Like maybe a 5% drain overnight.
Just keep in mind it's still best to try to not let your Switch get to 0% if in AutoRCM mode as you may need to charge it on the dock for many hours if that happens.
Keep it in Sleep mode when not using and charge regularly and you'll be fine.

Re cards, I use Sandisk 200Gb and 400Gbs and they work great. Samsung are a good brand too. Just remember if you're buying a card that seems too cheap to be true it's probably is a fake.
Invest some proper cash in a good quality card so you don't get burnt down the line. 200Gb seems the sweet spot these days in terms of cost/Gb.
Basically bigger the better as you'll be suprised how quickly you can fill it up with a few games, updates and DLC as well as retro roms/other HB etc.

ReDEyeDz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Basically bigger the better as you'll be suprised how quickly you can fill it up with a few games, updates and DLC as well as retro roms/other HB etc.
That's for sure. Filling a disk with stuff is never a problem :)
Any specific stuff I need to know about usb-type-c cable or everything works? All my phones and tables are usb now.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's for sure. Filling a disk with stuff is never a problem :)
Any specific stuff I need to know about usb-type-c cable or everything works? All my phones and tables are usb now.
I think most USB C->A cable work if they support OTG.
I used the one that came with my Pro Controller. That is well known to be sound.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, For my birthday I will go to the movies and then we will go to a restaurant where...