SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bros said:
It seems there is a new homebrew in developpment by a French Team ...

http://www.wii-addict.fr/forum/EXCLUPoC-La...-en-t20547.html

By the looks of things its simply a tool to downgrade an IOS (perhaps IOS34) to allow HackMii Installer to work again and also patch System Menu (probably in the same general style as StartPatch) with the existing Priiloader patch to stop deletion of HBC and DVDx, all in one tool. Perhaps it even installs IOS41 and uses it to downgrade IOS15 and removes signature check from IOS36, making it a one-run app, which makes Wii completely ready for HackMii Installer. Not a terrible idea perhaps, but also probably not one that should take too long to put together, considering most of the necessary code is available from apps such as TBR, dop-Mii and StartPatch.

iamflip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit of a bind here. I have a softmodded 4.2, but for some weird reason, some of my official games are refusing to play without asking me to update first. And I have WiiConnect24 disabled. :/

I'm reading through some of this thread. I know... getting the update through Nintendo is a bad idea. Is it still possible to safely update just the newest System Menu and IOS needed (through Simple Update with NUS and Boot Wad Manager)? Would installing Priiloader and then using the Block JODI hack prior to updating better my chances of updating safely while still keeping HBC?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iamflip said:
Bit of a bind here. I have a softmodded 4.2, but for some weird reason, some of my official games are refusing to play without asking me to update first. And I have WiiConnect24 disabled. :/

I'm reading through some of this thread. I know... getting the update through Nintendo is a bad idea. Is it still possible to safely update just the newest System Menu and IOS needed (through Simple Update with NUS and Boot Wad Manager)? Would installing Priiloader and then using the Block JODI hack prior to updating better my chances of updating safely while still keeping HBC?

The update should be fine, as its from a disc, so it is at highest 4.2. You probably have a downgraded IOS or two, or one or two missing. If you're really paranoid, you could install Priiloader and use the "Block disc updates" hack, or install that patch with StartPatch, or just always launch games via Gecko OS.

iamflip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah... I didn't think of that. Maybe it's just better to just use Priiloader and install that hack and just screw the update lol.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I've not checked throughly though..
Does 4.3 deletes out-of-region savegames? Maybe I deleted myself I don't know but while I was on 4.3E I saw my Mario Kart save had just disappeared... Later I restored to 3.2E again so I can't confirm it myself...

ps: Anyway, ignore this... possibly I deleted Mario Kart Channel using Anytitle deleter so the save got deleted too

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
iamflip said:

There are two reasons why this could happen:

1: You never updated to boot2v4, which you can do safely with DopMii.

2: The 4.2 update is detecting that your IOS222/223/249 is not the latest version and therefore wants to update it/them.

If you want to keep your cIOSes around and play 4.2 games from disc, use StartPatch to avoid disc updates.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
use nus auto download from my signature
biggrin.gif

iDarkTrace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AFAIK, JAP and KOR Wii's are screwed. We have to wait for the new HackMii Installer and new bannerbomb.

Patiently waiting... *eats oreo*
Where is the support for JAP and KOR Wiis?
frown.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
JAP and Korean wii's can be hacked if they still have a forwarder channel (Korean wii's also require a cIOS remain installed on the wii, like 250)

A new exploit (like bannerbomb) is enough to mod virgin 4.3 wii's

a new exploit and another method of restoring the trucha bug is required to mod virgin 4.3 K wiis (once a new hackmii installer comes out, they can alternatively be hacked using a new exploit + cboot2)

iDarkTrace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XFlak said:
JAP and Korean wii's can be hacked if they still have a forwarder channel (Korean wii's also require a cIOS remain installed on the wii, like 250)

A new exploit (like bannerbomb) is enough to mod virgin 4.3 wii's

a new exploit and another method of restoring the trucha bug is required to mod virgin 4.3 K wiis (once a new hackmii installer comes out, they can alternatively be hacked using a new exploit + cboot2)

My forwarder channel (Homebrew Channel) got deleted by Ninty, Smash Stack and Indiana Pwns does NOT work on JAP or KOR Wiis (I tested for JAP. Freezes when attempting. Htf does Smash Stack not work for JAP in the first place?
blink.gif
) I don't really have any other method to revive my Wii to its full usefulness.

How long has it been since the update? a month? I know the TT is obfuscating the code but I swear they are faster than that. Look at 4.2 for example, almost as if the update didn't even exist XD

Let's go Team Twiizers!! I wanna play Monster Hunter Tri and Super Mario Galaxy 2again!
yaywii.gif

*playing Dragon Quest IX*
yaynds.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
iDarkTrace said:
Let's go Team Twiizers!! I wanna play Monster Hunter Tri and Super Mario Galaxy 2again!
yaywii.gif
Team Twiizers releasing the new HackMii Installer is not necessarily going to help you. They, as a team, are not responsible for BannerBomb. The new HackMii installer probably still needs either the Indiana Pwns or Smash Stack hack to be able to launch it, so you will likely still be out of luck for a while until somebody manages to figure out the other regions of Smash Stack or finds another exploit in a game which has been released in Japan (and perhaps Korea).

And if you want to play MHT and SMG 2 again, can't you just play from the discs that you should have bought, especially if you enjoy the games so much? I guess it's not possible if you bought English versions, but then why did you buy a Japanese Wii in the first place and why would you update to 4.3 when it warns you outright that it will stop you from using the homebrew you required to play them?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
iDarkTrace said:
yaywii.gif
Team Twiizers releasing the new HackMii Installer is not necessarily going to help you. They, as a team, are not responsible for BannerBomb. The new HackMii installer probably still needs either the Indiana Pwns or Smash Stack hack to be able to launch it, so you will likely still be out of luck for a while until somebody manages to figure out the other regions of Smash Stack or finds another exploit in a game which has been released in Japan (and perhaps Korea).

And if you want to play MHT and SMG 2 again, can't you just play from the discs that you should have bought, especially if you enjoy the games so much? I guess it's not possible if you bought English versions, but then why did you buy a Japanese Wii in the first place and why would you update to 4.3 when it warns you outright that it will stop you from using the homebrew you required to play them?

Well actually they mentioned of a hackmii installer covering all regions in hackmii blog...
see dhewg's comment here : http://hackmii.com/2010/06/system-menu-4-3-update/#comments

This implies that they will come up with a new exploit for 4.3K and 4.3J... Of course this can also be a misinterpretation of wrongly/inadequately put information on my part too...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
Well actually they mentioned of a hackmii installer covering all regions in hackmii blog...
see dhewg's comment here : http://hackmii.com/2010/06/system-menu-4-3-update/#comments

This implies that they will come up with a new exploit for 4.3K and 4.3J... Of course this can also be a misinterpretation of wrongly/inadequately put information on my part too...
I saw that post too. I take it literally. The Hackmii Installer has only ever installed the HBC and BootMii on Wiis. I'm sure, in the new version, that they have those features working on all Wiis of any region, provided you have a way to launch the HackMii Installer.

Both the Twilight Hack and BannerBomb have always been kept seprate from the Hackmii Installer, and I have no reason to believe that situation will have changed. They never say they have a way of running the HackMii installer on any virgin Wii from any region, just that "There’s already a fully working installer compatible with 4.3 on all regions." There is a minor implication that there is a method for initially launching the installer for anyone, but a mod chip or pre-installed BootMii as boot2 are also valid methods for getting the installer running.

What it will do is allow you to install the new HBC on a 4.2 Wii before updating to 4.3, or allow you to install HBC on a virgin 4.3 PAL or NTSC Wii. I would be highly surprised (but pleased of course) if it added anything else.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
WiiCrazy said:

I saw that post too. I take it literally. The Hackmii Installer has only ever installed the HBC and BootMii on Wiis. I'm sure, in the new version, that they have those features working on all Wiis of any region, provided you have a way to launch the HackMii Installer.

Both the Twilight Hack and BannerBomb have always been kept seprate from the Hackmii Installer, and I have no reason to believe that situation will have changed. They never say they have a way of running the HackMii installer on any virgin Wii from any region, just that "There’s already a fully working installer compatible with 4.3 on all regions." There is a minor implication that there is a method for initially launching the installer for anyone, but a mod chip or pre-installed BootMii as boot2 are also valid methods for getting the installer running.

What it will do is allow you to install the new HBC on a 4.2 Wii before updating to 4.3, or allow you to install HBC on a virgin 4.3 PAL or NTSC Wii. I would be highly surprised (but pleased of course) if it added anything else.

Depends what you mean by "added anything else". HBC is getting feature enhancements definitely (finally getting the ability to save your preferred device to load homebrew from and also the view you prefer for sure, probably other stuff too). But yeah, I'd say the installer works on all regions, however, there is no public way to run it on 4.3K or 4.3J. My guess is TT have a secret exploit or two they haven't released, so when new System Menus are released, they have a method of loading code on an updated System, for experimentation etc., even if Ninty block all public exploits. Of course, this is simply a guess, and I could be completely wrong, but that's what I'd do anyway. And if this is what is happening, perhaps their secret exploit works on J and K Wiis? And perhaps they'll release it for those people if it exists in the first place.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Depends what you mean by "added anything else". HBC is getting feature enhancements definitely (finally getting the ability to save your preferred device to load homebrew from and also the view you prefer for sure, probably other stuff too). But yeah, I'd say the installer works on all regions, however, there is no public way to run it on 4.3K or 4.3J. My guess is TT have a secret exploit or two they haven't released, so when new System Menus are released, they have a method of loading code on an updated System, for experimentation etc., even if Ninty block all public exploits. Of course, this is simply a guess, and I could be completely wrong, but that's what I'd do anyway. And if this is what is happening, perhaps their secret exploit works on J and K Wiis? And perhaps they'll release it for those people if it exists in the first place.
Yeah, I know of other features too, like command line arguments that will finally allow us to add the nointro option to Cfg for those that dislike the current one...

And perhaps their secret method is hardware based, we know they do a lot of work with Infectus. I would hope it's software, but it is better to not be optimistic in these cases as posters on GBATemp tends to take optimistic assumptions literally and then start spreading rumours as fact. Then if the assumptions end up being incorrect, it gets ugly...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    cearp @ cearp: It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space +1