GCN New to Gamecube hacking. Do I have the right idea?

DomanDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! This is my first thread here, but it's for a good reason.

Today I started wondering about softmodding my Gamecube. So far, I've gathered a few bits of information, and I'm not sure which ones are entirely correct. I have a few questions to ask:

• So first, from what I hear, I'll need a modded Wind Waker save file. If I use an already-modded Wii, what software should I use? (Answered: GCMM works.)
  • If I have the Wind Waker save, will I be able to still use the memory card? And if so, how much space will it take up? (Answered: it takes up about 100 blocks)
  • I'm planning to use an sd2sp2 adapter, will I be able to use it without a modchip? I have almost no experience with a soldering iron. (Answered: Swiss takes care of it)
  • If I run SWISS from said adapter, will I be able to run backups? (Answered: yes, also apparently Swiss isn't an acronym)
  • If I order a GBA Player without the disc, will I be able to run a backup of the disc? (Answered: yes, though Game Boy Interface is much better for this)
Thanks in advance for the answers. I've done some modding for other consoles in the past, and played around with a MIL-CD-compatible Dreamcast, but using external hardware for a system without internal storage is a whole new ballgame for me and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I do. I'm assuming it's a "yes" to most of them, but I don't want to assume before I actually buy the adapter (and maybe a new memory card if I can't use the modded one).

UPDATE: Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'm making this edit a month later to say that after a bit of experimentation, I've gotten a bit of experience with homebrew stuff. I've made a guide for complete beginners, which I'll be posting here later.

Last edited by DomanDragon,
Reactions: nWo

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So first, from what I hear, I'll need a modded Wind Waker save file. If I use an already-modded Wii, what software should I use?
GCMM or whatever GameCube memory card management software you can use.

If I have the Wind Waker save, will I be able to still use the memory card? And if so, how much space will it take up?
Yes, you will still be able to use the memory card as normal. Just not for Wind Waker, since the hacked save file is, well, hacked.

I'm planning to use an sd2sp2 adapter, will I be able to use it without a modchip? I have almost no experience with a soldering iron.
A modchip isn't necessary unless you want to boot homebrew / backups quicker than a launcher (exploited game or Action Replay).

If I run SWISS from said adapter, will I be able to run backups?
Yes. Swiss can run backups via sd card (memory card or serial 2 adapters), disc drive and disc drive replacement (WiiKey Fusion, WODE, etc).

Technically the little serial 2 adapter is just a different port for memory card slot 2, since it shares the same data lines.

If I order a GBA Player without the disc, will I be able to run a backup of the disc?
Yes, there is a free homebrew replacement for the GBA Player.

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! This is my first thread here, but it's for a good reason.

Today I started wondering about softmodding my Gamecube. So far, I've gathered a few bits of information, and I'm not sure which ones are entirely correct. I have a few questions to ask:

• So first, from what I hear, I'll need a modded Wind Waker save file. If I use an already-modded Wii, what software should I use?
  • If I have the Wind Waker save, will I be able to still use the memory card? And if so, how much space will it take up?
  • I'm planning to use an sd2sp2 adapter, will I be able to use it without a modchip? I have almost no experience with a soldering iron.
  • If I run SWISS from said adapter, will I be able to run backups?
  • If I order a GBA Player without the disc, will I be able to run a backup of the disc?
Thanks in advance for the answers. I've done some modding for other consoles in the past, and played around with a MIL-CD-compatible Dreamcast, but using external hardware for a system without internal storage is a whole new ballgame for me and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I do. I'm assuming it's a "yes" to most of them, but I don't want to assume before I actually buy the adapter (and maybe a new memory card if I can't use the modded one).

A exploited save is one way there is also GC Loader and don't buy the GC Loader Lite

Official site here

https://www.black-dog.tech/gc-loader-pnp.html

Swiss does not need a hardmod

If u get a gba player there is better software to run it

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface

Yes Swiss is all u need to pirate

Reactions: nWo

DomanDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A exploited save is one way there is also GC Loader and don't buy the GC Loader Lite
I should probably have been more specific in my first post, but I'm not looking to hardmod my console. The GC Loader looks cool and all, but I always prefer to leave my system's internals untouched. That's why I'm buying an SD2SP2, since it won't change the console's internals at all.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
after you deal with swiss you'll never want to go back.
there are some hardmods where you'll be able to boot swiss without any disc, and you'll never need the dvd drive forever. it's a better choice because the dvd drives on these consoles are dying over time.

Reactions: Shadow#1

DomanDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after you deal with swiss you'll never want to go back.
there are some hardmods where you'll be able to boot swiss without any disc, and you'll never need the dvd drive forever. it's a better choice because the dvd drives on these consoles are dying over time.
I already said it before: while I definitely will use Swiss for the games I want, I'd prefer to leave the internals untouched. I'm more a part of the crowd who likes to keep their console as close to the original as possible, with modern conveniences that don't involve tearing the console down and possibly damaging it. And besides, if I have to replace the DVD drive, I'll likely look for something close to the original.

Of course, this doesn't mean I'm against hardmodding. Sometimes a console's shortcomings can be annoying, and you have every right to fix these on your own. I personally don't care as long as I have fun.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
I already said it before: while I definitely will use Swiss for the games I want, I'd prefer to leave the internals untouched. I'm more a part of the crowd who likes to keep their console as close to the original as possible, with modern conveniences that don't involve tearing the console down and possibly damaging it. And besides, if I have to replace the DVD drive, I'll likely look for something close to the original.

Of course, this doesn't mean I'm against hardmodding. Sometimes a console's shortcomings can be annoying, and you have every right to fix these on your own. I personally don't care as long as I have fun.

In your case you can look for "SD Media Launcher" from Codejunkies.
It is an "original" disc that boots swiss easily.
sd_media_launcher_for_gc_and_w_1600958058_eacdfe15_progressive.jpg

DomanDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your case you can look for "SD Media Launcher" from Codejunkies.
It is an "original" disc that boots swiss easily.
sd_media_launcher_for_gc_and_w_1600958058_eacdfe15_progressive.jpg
I already have a copy of Wind Waker and a modded Wii I can use, though. And as I said, I'm going to be using an sd2sp2 adapter, since from what I've read, it's faster than the memory card slot.

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be a discrepancy here.
Do some research on the OG forums that were talked about 2 to 8+ years ago. Serial 2 shares the same data lines as memory card B. (Hell, if you can find it where they talked about it, link me.)

It's an obscure design on Nintendo's part, but it was also a cost saving part, like Nintendo.

DomanDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do some research on the OG forums that were talked about 2 to 8+ years ago. Serial 2 shares the same data lines as memory card B. (Hell, if you can find it where they talked about it, link me.)

It's an obscure design on Nintendo's part, but it was also a cost saving part, like Nintendo.
Ah, okay. I'm not sure where I read about it, honestly.

So does this mean having the SD2SP2 in Serial 2 will prevent me from using slot B?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ah, okay. I'm not sure where I read about it, honestly.

So does this mean having the SD2SP2 in Serial 2 will prevent me from using slot B?
You can select the drive to access in Swiss. No idea if it is be able to copy files from SD-Gecko to SD2SP2, but I have both in my GC and can access both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...