OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nintendofuse.com
XP
Country
United States
I am very interested in creating a new Wii Homebrew Application in the form of an interactive Rosary. However I am completely new to Wii Homebrew programming. I am a professional Visual Basic.NET developer but I know next to nothing about C or C++. I am currently looking at C++ tutorials for Windows development and have had some success with Console Applications but I haven't made it to Windows GUI yet. I am completely willing to put in the time to educate myself so please do not suggest that as I am already starting down that path.

Every tutorial I have found on developing a Wii Homebrew application have all been difficult for me to follow or I can never get the examples to compile. I am using the latest DevKitPro and libogc ( I just downloaded the latest version today May 26, 2010), but I am finding it to be very difficult. Also I know of no way to test any homebrew on my pc so anything I try to develop I can only test when I get home in the evening (which being married and having a 2 year old is not very easy). The computer I am using to develop on is my work laptop it is running Windows 7 64 bit, not sure if that matters.

What I would like to do is create an interactive Rosary because I know there is nothing out there like that now in the Wii Homebrew scene. Here is what I hope to achieve:

Picture of a rosary as the main image. Each bead is interactive in that when the user points at a bead certain information or prayers will be displayed
Allow user to choose which mystery they want to meditate on (depending on which mystery they choose the Rosary beads will reflect that information/prayers)
Have music playing in the background (can be turned off or on)
Wiimote integration
Assigning options or choices to button presses (or just adding a new menu when the home button is pressed)

I just want to know if anyone can and is willing to give me any advice or maybe point me in the right direction. And if anyone has the time and is willing maybe you could help me along here in the beginning. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeremy

Serious replies only please.
p.s. - I was interested in LibWiiGui but that might be too much for me to start with. Then I figured I could try and model my code after the BibleQuiz game or RedSquare, those look to be good examples. Just a thought.

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Draw the images on the screen and if the wii point is pointed on a bead, have an action where the bead enlarges or glows or whatever. If the player presses A or some such button while selecting a bead, a bow or panel or other method of message display appears where it has the information of the prayer.

Just my initial thoughts.

JHardin1112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nintendofuse.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you, that is a great idea. I appreciate the suggestion, now I just need to figure out where to start. If I could get DevKitPro to work or compile something, I could go from there
smile.gif

JHardin1112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nintendofuse.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your encouragement. I know Wii Homebrew is popular and I just want to make the Rosary available in this way if people want to use it. And those tutorials were the first I ever looked at and also they got me interested in Wii Homebrew development. I am just having a tough time getting DevKitPro set up with the necessary libraries, but I will prevail. Thanks again, I'll post progress when I have made some.

JHardin1112

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nintendofuse.com
XP
Country
United States
Just checking in here, I had to start from the beginning to understand how to code on the Wii and I've been messing around with a lot of source code from other persons apps. I messed around with Windows Console apps and then moved into some basics of SDL, but finally I believe I may have settled on using GRRLIB to write this project. I just started working with the latest version yesterday so I will post some updates hopefully within the next week.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/rI5IRxpcwDk?si=g8PPkbkjsSuwpjZW +1