Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Newfound%20comet.jpg

A newfound comet discovered by a telescope designed to hunt for dangerous asteroids will make its closest pass by Earth in 2013 and should be visible to the naked eye when it draws near, astronomers say.

Hawaii's Pan-STARRS 1 telescope detected the comet, which is called C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS), on the night of June 5 and 6, and the discovery was confirmed by follow-up observations with a different instrument a day later. The comet will likely come within about 30 million miles (50 million kilometers) of the sun in February or March 2013 — about the same distance as the planet Mercury, researchers said.

During its closest approach to Earth in two years, comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) likely to be visible low in the western sky shortly after sunset, weather permitting. Skywatchers interested in seeing the newfound icy wanderer should look up then, because they may never get another chance to see it.[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
spinal_cord said:
wasim said:
Will there be any kinda disaster when it pass ?
unsure.gif

I'm sure we'll be safe, it's been 65 million years since the last major astrological problem. Statistically, I think we're in a good place.
What astrological problem?? I want link to that
frown.gif

If it's about Dinosaurs then no ty lol.

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
spinal_cord said:
wasim said:
unsure.gif

I'm sure we'll be safe, it's been 65 million years since the last major astrological problem. Statistically, I think we're in a good place.
frown.gif

65 million years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8550504.stm

@OP Thanks for posting, I love space stuff
smile.gif

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Miss Panda said:
SamAsh07 said:
spinal_cord said:
wasim said:
unsure.gif

frown.gif

65 million years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8550504.stm

@OP Thanks for posting, I love space stuff
smile.gif
You're welcome.
wink.gif
I also love space stuff. LOL!
laugh.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
wasim said:
unsure.gif

Well not really, statistically we're well overdue another impact of something along those proportions.

QUOTE(SamAsh07 @ Jun 21 2011, 12:06 PM)
frown.gif

Yes it is but that was only the last truly massive one. I do believe the most recent event (in a populated area) was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaali_crater, which was relatively small, but read some of the numbers, rather bloody scary. Why no ty?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Astrological problem? Where ISN'T there a problem with astrology?
tongue.gif
Ohh you mean astronomy! These impacts continue to happen on Earth all the time though many are quite and big stuff like Tunguska will only happens every few hundred years. Noteworthy stuff continues to happen every few decades. Cataclysmic stuff statistically happens about only once every hundred million years.

It's funny how talk about a new comet immediately spurs discussion about impacts although they are the least likely aspect to consider.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Provided it swings past Earth instead of directly into it, it should be good for a romantic evening with my new lady friend.

Now I'm gonna go watch Deep Impact.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Funny, I was just watching a show on the Science channel a couple days back talking about the universe, and this exact thing came up. The meteor news itself isn't all that new. Pretty sure scientists have known about it for more than a little while. What was mentioned in the show I was watching though, was that massive meteors, bigger than Manhattan (big meteor is big), hit the Earth about every 100 million years.

We aren't due for another cataclysmic, life changing meteor in our life times by so very far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong