Newo Zero 3.0 - futuristic homebrew racing game for Wii update released

GBAtemp member @newo has released version 3.0 of his futuristic, retro-synthwave homebrew racing game for Wii. The update brings 20 new courses, new music and a slew of quality of life updates.

Version 3 - November 1, 2022
  • 20 new courses (+4 per cup)
  • 2 new songs
  • Updated graphics, tunnels, suns, backgrounds and track decals
  • lap timer/clock
  • HD No Culling option in debug menu (for dolphin PC gamers)
  • Demo mode options menu
  • Background options menu (toggle buildings, signs, backgrounds, track, high contrast mode)
  • other fixes, stability and improvements

We previously covered Newo Zero in our project spotlight feature if you are interested in reading more about this homebrew project.

:arrow: Project Spotlight -NewoZero - A futuristic, retro-synthwave homebrew racing game for Wii
:arrow: Newo Zero at WiiBrew.org

Do you have a homebrew project you'd like shared here on GBAtemp?

Get in touch to discuss!

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen that game on Wiibrew. Really love the futuristic art style and overall it plays good, kinda reminds me of F-Zero.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
this is a real project. not only does @newo learn new things by creating this for his own good but also for the good of the wii scene.

:grog:
Making games from scratch or even porting them is not a simple task but there is alot of documentation and help out there for those who are interested in it.

I get asked if am gonna port it to vita or 3ds where there are more players. But its not really about the amount of players its more about being able to think about something THEN actually being able to create it.

The wii in a way is simpler than alot of these other systems at least to me. I mean there are still lots of people coding pico8 and nes games. But i do wii stuff.

Reactions: Flame and SylverReZ

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How does it "overheat" exactly? Temps are not concern when it comes to Wiis. Are you sure it's not something else, like a worn out fan or perhaps dry thermal pads?

May be the fan, I just don't wanna risk opening it as I never repaired a Wii.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only times that I've opened a Wii was to both replace the shell with a custom one, as well as install a modchip. For me it's not that too difficult to do.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been following this for a while. It's a really stunning looking game and quite fun too! I'm glad it is getting the spotlight because more people need to play and talk about it. So many cool little details.

If the author sticks with this game instead of moving on to a different project, I'd like to see some different vehicles with speed/handling/shield differences. It'd also be nice to get a new cup that focused on AI racers.

A new project, even if it's not my cup of tea, would also be interesting. The author's games have a beautiful sense of style. I always thought Newo Sky was gorgeous as well.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This has become a project that I'd like to see released in physical form. Unfortunately, I can't play as often as I wanted, but this was a homebrew project that I played with keen interest. Playing it on the real hardware is something to experience.

Reactions: SylverReZ and newo

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Wii doesn’t work right and you have a spare, then this is the perfect opportunity to learn. Maybe it’ll be an easy fix. The worst that can happen is, you permanently (subjective) damage the Wii. Then you’ll be forced to part with it. Or you can keep it for spare parts. Or make some type of art from it. Dive in! :)

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo