Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Next R4 Kernel coming soon!
Great news for R4 owners
Update: I was just informed that the new kernel, currently under development, won't be ready before a month or so. I have personally no idea why it's taking so long, I haven't been told anything else. As soon as I know more I will report it here.

As you may remember, I have the chance to be in contact with members of the R4 team and I regularly ask them about R4 kernel updates. Well, today's a lucky day: they've finally accepted to disclose information regarding the next update! So here is what I've gathered:
  • SDHC Support: I never thought this would be possible, but the exact words they used ("It Will support SDHC Card") leaves no room for doubt! SDHC, which stands for Secure Digital High Capacity, supports microSD cards capacities up to 32 Gigabytes!
  • Wii Connectivity: it appears the next kernel will have fixed Wii connectivity. This feature is notably used in the Pokémon Diamond/Pearl games.
  • Game fixes: although they haven't explicitely suggested it, I do believe and hope that the next firmware will fix compatibility for important games such as Worms Open Warfare 2 and others, that require the ARM7 Fix to work.
  • Release date: they told me they hoped the new firmware would be ready before the end of the week, but they weren't too sure about that so I wouldn't be expecting it anytime soon.
As always, I recommend that you don't get your hopes up as this is only a provisional list of features (I'm particularly doubtful about SDHC support, but we'll see) but at least we now have a clue about the next update! I'll keep you informed as soon as I receive more information.

adamrgolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait *yay*

cool.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I read adding SDHC support is possible from a firmware update, some other devices have done it already.
Yes but the R4 has not allowed for firmware updates in the past - only loader updates so it will be interesting to see if they do release a new actual firmware. Many people believe the firmware chip is not re-writeable. Maybe SDHC support can be added through the loader? Who knows...

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
From what I read adding SDHC support is possible from a firmware update, some other devices have done it already.

Yes but the R4 has not allowed for firmware updates in the past - only loader updates so it will be interesting to see if they do release a new actual firmware. Many people believe the firmware chip is not re-writeable. Maybe SDHC support can be added through the loader? Who knows...
So basically you'll need to buy an R4v2 then.

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

So basically you'll need to buy an R4v2 then.

They've already said there isn't going to be a new R4..

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To have SDHC support, they're going to HAVE to flash the chip in the R4. How can you have it in just a loader when it currently can't read an SDHC card?

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
This is great news if they pull it off. October has been a great month so far this will be the cherry on the top.
They could have added SDHC to the new R4's in the redesign as the PCB is different if you look at the photo's. Which would mean owners of the old one would be out of luck with sdhc. I just hope not. (This is not fact just my thoughts)
R4 images

kaktus.ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WEEEEEIIIII!!
biggrin.gif

Not that I really needed an update, but damn! This is GREAT news!
bow.gif

Oh, and I guess you could put a firmware update together with the loader on the microSD, SD in R4, R4 in DS, boot it up, and the firmware gets updated... right? That's the only way I can think of anyway, but who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.
The R4 team has AFAIK never lied about an update at least. So if they say SDHC support is coming, you can be damn sure it is!
tongue.gif

This is great news if they pull it off. October has been a great month so far this will be the cherry on the top.
They could have added SDHC to the new R4's in the redesign as the PCB is different if you look at the photo's. Which would mean owners of the old one would be out of luck with sdhc. I just hope not. (This is not fact just my thoughts)
R4 images
I really hope you're wrong about that, but I guess that's possible.
unsure.gif

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland

Well we can't even know if the PIC is programable via the card it self or not ( though we can suspect it isn't) but there might be some way for SDHC through loader if the PIC has an handeling method ( knows the starts location/block size)

CannonBallZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 images

Yah, I noticed that too, there are more tracks on the pcb under the sd slot for the new R4 redesign,
that was exactly what i was thinking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo