Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Issac said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Stevetry said:
i understand the NGp been crap but the 3ds cmon Ngmoco

"been" being used in your feelings on a device that hasn't been released yet. Okay.

To me it's obvious he's meaning "being"... Even though I don't aggree with his oppinion (since I haven't tested it myself).
But I am a bit tired of you very often bashing on non-English speaking people's "poor" English.
You're American, You speak fluent English, good for you. We got that now, please comment in a different tone if you have to point out linguistic errors.

On topic: Ngmoco sure has a point with the NGP and Smartphone app references... I mean, many of the coming apps to NGP will surely be priced fairly high just as the PSN games today (With exeption of the minis)... while iDevice apps of the same quality often are prices a lot lower.
Space invaders infinity gene, for example. iDevice: $4.99, PS3: $9.99

However, that's about the only thing I agree with... that the prices probably will be a bit meh. (What I believe, I'd love to be proven wrong).

Just pointing out Stevetry's mistake because he's been typing with his forehead ever since he joined here and his lack of common sense can be... irritating.

For same priced apps I can see your point, but I'd rather pay $10 for a good NGP app than a fifth as much for a shitty iPhone app. Quality over quantity, honestly. Plus for Space Invaders, would you rather have a full set of buttons or a touch screen? Buttons are usually better. I'd pay the extra $5 for it myself.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS and NGP can do everything that a iphone(expect make calls/ipod) can do and better...
mellow.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Guild McCommunist said:
Just pointing out Stevetry's mistake because he's been typing with his forehead ever since he joined here and his lack of common sense can be... irritating.

For same priced apps I can see your point, but I'd rather pay $10 for a good NGP app than a fifth as much for a shitty iPhone app. Quality over quantity, honestly. Plus for Space Invaders, would you rather have a full set of buttons or a touch screen? Buttons are usually better. I'd pay the extra $5 for it myself.

Oh yeah, I too think Quality over quantity of course... But sometimes pricing can be ridicolous. And I also prefer buttons most of the time, except this Space Invaders game actually
smile.gif
With the touch control you can dodge incoming bullets more easily than with the set speed of the controller version. (As in, you have way better speed!) Though your fingers / hand block the screen a lot as well..

Oh well!
smile.gif

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
The last sentence killed off any relevance of his rant.
flameiguana said:
What does the iPod touch have in terms of functionality for gaming that the NGP doesn't?
In terms of functionality for gaming... nothing?
unsure.gif
The only reason I see the iPod Touch as useful is because it is a platform that can help make life easier in ways that a gaming platform cannot, such as with convenient applications for socialization and education, on top of the multimedia platform it is based upon.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't even heard of ngmoco.
laugh.gif

I wonder what they would say if they started to develop for the 3DS eShop or the PSP2's/PS3's PSN? "Oh, the 3DS eShop / PSN is the best digital marketplace ever! Who wants to spend 300~ bucks for a dinky MP3 player?"

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate it when people make phones out to be game systems.
I hate it more when people think that the game apps can compete and beat games on devices made for gaming from companies specializing in gaming.

When both the NGP and 3DS fail to fail, he will be eating his words and wondering why a rip-off of Tetris didn't do as well as Super Mario 3DS.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry mister, what you've said is stupid. Furthermore, I've never even heard of you. Oh? Shitty day-in-the-making-of iPhone apps and games? Of course. Come back when you can make games on your own. That "casuals" won't lap up because of their idiocy.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm....who...cares? We've heard both positives and negatives about both systems from developers, and the positive comments far out weigh the negative ones. Even if they didn't, though, it's still something that we should be judging for ourselves.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
concealed identity said:
He's right, though.
Do you mind elaborating? I'm not trying to be rude, but some insight would be nice.

Nah, not rude at all, thanks for the politeness actually!

Well, regarding the 3DS, as awesome as the 3D might be, it really is gimmicky on a fundamental level; it is known to cause eye strain, it drains the batteries, and it can be turned off, meaning every game will have to be playable without it. The system itself will be great, sell a lot, and have a lot of great games, and he acknowledges that - it's just that the 3D aspect of it isn't really going to amount to much apart from developers putting a lot of effort into the 3D aspects of the intro sequence and first level of their game.

With the PSP2, of course it'll have some great games, but if the price is as high as it seems it will be, it's going to have a really tough time in the market. He's completely right about smartphones and the $1-2 games available for them, and any industry analyst will say the same thing about them taking a HUGE share of the handheld market. This will only grow as smartphones become more and more of a standard.

Apart from that, the PSP2 won't even really have a niche like the original PSP did; smartphones can play media and browse the internet probably just as well as this can, the 3DS's graphics processing power are good enough that the PSP2 isn't going to stand out on this like it did with the original PSP/DS comparison, and anybody who's going to want a better graphical experience than the 3DS isn't going to want or need it in a handheld; they'll play it at home on their PS3 or Xbox.

This will also be noticeable regarding the games as well; the two main reasons why the PSP sold as well as it did in Japan is because the price went down to that of a DS eventually, and it had a number of "must-have" titles - these titles couldn't have been made on the DS due to its hardware capabilities, and they weren't put on consoles because of the slow market penetration of the PS3 (and no market penetration of the Xbox360). Now we have a scenario where the prices will probably be around $100 different in Japan (maybe more), a home console that's in a lot of houses now (PS3), cheap and fun handheld games available at a super low price (smartphones), and a handheld system that will have WAY more users in the market as well as the ability to play pretty much any game you throw at it (3DS).

I think the PSP2's only thing going for it is that it won't become outdated anytime soon...so it might see a surge in market share towards the end of its life (much like the PSP).

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter what minor company will say, nothing is honestly going to stop how much they sell, and besides, this is fucking ngmoco and their games are... Adequate at the most. Honestly I downloaded We Rule, played for all of five minutes and deleted it. Besides even though they are cheap games, a majority of the time for people who game on consoles, it's cheap quality. I don't think a company that makes games just to pass time has any right to say that the 3DS or NGP will be bad sellers. I can't wait to see them trying to ignore this comment when they are proved wrong.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tux' said:
I don't think a company that makes games just to pass time has any right to say that the 3DS or NGP will be bad sellers.

Why? The two are completely unrelated. Even so, the companies that make games "just to pass time" seem to have a pretty great understanding of the market (Nintendo would be the easiest example to use here).

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
Tux' said:
I don't think a company that makes games just to pass time has any right to say that the 3DS or NGP will be bad sellers.

Why? The two are completely unrelated. Even so, the companies that make games "just to pass time" seem to have a pretty great understanding of the market (Nintendo would be the easiest example to use here).

Yes true that they have understanding of the market, but when a company like ngmoco says the 3DS and NGP will fail, it doesn't really make sense to me because mobile phone games are aimed at a different group of people most of the time. For example, the NGP in my opinion is more or less aimed towards hardcore gamers, while ngmoco sells games that are more or less for people who are casual gamers.

I should maybe rephrase what I said previously. They have the right to say that, just they shouldn't go flaunting it around saying the 3DS and NGP are going to fail just solely on the reason of their price(Well that's what I get out of the section for the NGP, at least).

Of course, this is just my opinion, so it doesn't really matter towards some people, and people will think otherwise.

And lastly, sorry my thoughts are all over the place, I am just a bit tired right now
wink2.gif

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
NGP dead on arrival.

This is basically the general consensus for most industry people. Especially behind closed doors. Even the retail buyers are wary. Extremely wary.

And 3D visuals are gimmicky. But they've been making 3D movies since the 50s. 3D is a gimmick that continually goes in and out of style.

tl:dr = don't buy any sony stock, gimmicks will move units.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
Well, regarding the 3DS, as awesome as the 3D might be, it really is gimmicky on a fundamental level With Nintendo it not.; it is known to cause eye strain everything cause eye strain then it only to certain people ., it drains the batteries batteries aren't infinite, 3D top 5 hours it not the best,but it doable.and it can be turned off, meaning every game will have to be playable without it. Why do some people said this? IT THERE TO BE FAIR TO EVERYONE. If it wasn't there people who can not see 3D can't used it at all, Nintendo can have that. They was being respectful for those small set of people. The system itself will be great, sell a lot, and have a lot of great games, and he acknowledges that - it's just that the 3D aspect of it isn't really going to amount to much apart from developers putting a lot of effort into the 3D aspects of the intro sequence and first level of their game.
Oh you are a expert dev now? You do not now what they going to do with the 3D and most likely it isn't that.

With the PSP2, of course it'll have some great games, but if the price is as high as it seems it will be, it's going to have a really tough time in the market. He's completely right about smartphones and the $1-2 games available for them, and any industry analyst will say the same thing about them taking a HUGE share of the handheld market. This will only grow as smartphones become more and more of a standard.
Someone already said something about this.

concealed identity said:
QUOTE(Tux' @ Mar 3 2011, 11:41 AM) I don't think a company that makes games just to pass time has any right to say that the 3DS or NGP will be bad sellers.

I hope you not trying to say all their games are "just to pass time".
mellow.gif

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tux' said:
concealed identity said:
Tux' said:

Yes true that they have understanding of the market, but when a company like ngmoco says the 3DS and NGP will fail, it doesn't really make sense to me because mobile phone games are aimed at a different group of people most of the time. For example, the NGP in my opinion is more or less aimed towards hardcore gamers, while ngmoco sells games that are more or less for people who are casual gamers.

I should maybe rephrase what I said previously. They have the right to say that, just they shouldn't go flaunting it around saying the 3DS and NGP are going to fail just solely on the reason of their price(Well that's what I get out of the section for the NGP, at least).

Of course, this is just my opinion, so it doesn't really matter towards some people, and people will think otherwise.

And lastly, sorry my thoughts are all over the place, I am just a bit tired right now
wink2.gif

I'm not so sure they are different markets though...before the DS/PSP, there was no "hardcore market" for handhelds, and I would say that even with the PSP, a lot of people who own it aren't "hardcore gamers." A lot of people who bought handhelds can find everything they need with smartphone games; the handheld market was ALWAYS more casual than the home console market, and a huge number of people who bought handheld games are going to go in the direction of smartphones when faced with the choice of $1-10 a game vs. $60 and a $400 system. Of course there will be a niche for the PSP2, but it's going to be a lot smaller than before, and very possibly not big enough to be a sustainable market, ESPECIALLY with the 3DS in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, it was maybe funny the third or fourth time companies did it +1