Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It seems weird to have the game called Ni no Kuni and then write all occurences of "Ni no Kuni" out of it :P (although it seems that's what the English PS3 translation did...).
To me it's more of a name than just words to describe it. Shizuku explains the concept of there being more worlds and only then mentions his world, so it'd still be quite clear. It's also more in line with the readme in the Drive folder ("We'll mainly use Japanese names (to keep it consistent with the audio)").
Which brings me to another point that I came across while skimming through the new progress (whoo, progress! :D). I saw a couple of cases of "Uwa", "Oi" and "Eeh", which (except for the last one possibly) are very Japanese exclamations. However, I'm not sure whether to put this to the translator or that things like that are up to proof-readers to work on.

Aside from all that, I've uploaded the Demo files as speadsheets in the familiar format and it turns out that the _QuestReport files are just the same file 30 times over... Easy work then, I guess.
I also ran into something for which I added a note to the readme, but I figured I'd just post it here as well: "Upside-down question marks and exclamation points are stem from exporting by the Spanish translation team and should be translated as regular question marks/exclamation points."

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
What about main/parallel world or main/another world (i hope nobody sue it :P) or Root/Branch dimentions/world.
Sadly without having played the game (neither ds or ps3) and without the knowledge Nagato was talking just in his last post, it's difficult to come up with names.
It's more like another dimention (a Stargate)? More like a dream world(the neverending story)?? More like an "interactive" dream world (The nightmare movies)?? More like the usual thinking that every decision we make create both realities??
And how are they connected?? The first world created/branched in the second (and more) worlds? Are they influencing each others??
Beware of spoilers naturally :)

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
What about main/parallel world or main/another world (i hope nobody sue it :P) or Root/Branch dimentions/world.
Sadly without having played the game (neither ds or ps3) and without the knowledge Nagato was talking just in his last post, it's difficult to come up with names.
It's more like another dimention (a Stargate)? More like a dream world(the neverending story)?? More like an "interactive" dream world (The nightmare movies)?? More like the usual thinking that every decision we make create both realities??
And how are they connected?? The first world created/branched in the second (and more) worlds? Are they influencing each others??
Beware of spoilers naturally :)

They're parallel worlds.
In this game, Ichi no Kuni (First World) is Oliver's world with the old US town, and Ni no Kuni (Second World) is the fantasy world with magic and monsters and all. There are even more parallel worlds mentioned, as the place where some sidequest monsters originate from (and a sidequest in the PS3 version even shows one, which is basically a small zone from Hotroit/Motorville with different NPCs).
Ichi no Kuni and Ni no Kuni have direct influence on each other, notably the fact that each living being has a soul-mate on the other side, sharing a soul with him. Meaning, if a certain someone is ill ("hollowed"/"brokenhearted", where he's missing some emotions), you need to find his soulmate on the other side who will probably have some problem, and fix him up. This implies that whenever someone dies, his soulmate does as well as long as their connection isn't severed... and then there are certain people without soul mates. Oliver's search for his dead mother soul mate is what sets the entire plot into motion.
Ni no Kuni humans were forbidden from visiting Ichi no Kuni because the technological shock was deemed dangerous, and it was restricted so that it's only possible to people who know magic. People who know magic in Ni no Kuni were persecuted by the big villain, and Ichi no Kuni folks don't know magic. How Oliver got to know magic while in Ichi no Kuni is a late-game plot point.

kosterix

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
What is the status of this project? Abandoned by everyone? Does anybody have an english (partially translated) rom that i can run in desmume?

kosterix

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
You should play the PS3 version, it's totally worth your time.
The DS version is unplayable unless you know japanese, you can run the rom in DeSmUme (if you have Windows), but you won't get far.
The storylines are different but ds is just as beautiful as the ps3 version.

examples:

So as you can see the quests are different as well, more geared toward stylus usage.

So the ds version includes hickory dick, bashura, main story similar.
Translating familiars will prove to be a lot of work i guess.

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What is the status of this project? Abandoned by everyone? Does anybody have an english (partially translated) rom that i can run in desmume?

The DS version is unplayable unless you know japanese, you can run the rom in DeSmUme (if you have Windows), but you won't get far.
If you take a look at the posting dates, you'll see that everything in this thread is from the last couple of days, so no, the project is not abandoned. We're looking for fluent Japanese to English translators and we have Nagato translating without long-term guarantee.
This is a project to translate the DS version of the game (hence the thread being in the NDS part of the forum), so yes, it is unplayable unless you know Japanese, but then that's why we're trying to translate it.

kosterix

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Ah i was confused by the dates on the left, under Member Since. I see that now.
I patched the nino kuni nds with dutch.patch, did not run in desmume, patched with english.patch, also did not run. Any advice?
I mean we need at least a rom that runs on some emulator...

EDIT: the english patch produces after a while a starting image but does not run:

kosterix

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Also i would try to suggest:
1) use google translate to get rid of the slow process of japanese characters -> which word to choose -> check consistency etc which is depressing.
In the first run we would yes have stupid sentences bad naming etc but if you then do a find and replace you will have many quick wins which is nice.
2) of course some editor other than hex would be needed, and some process to test for you if the rom isn't broken.

For parts of the physical book we can use an online walkthrough, translating the book is for me not a priority.

perhaps i'm noobing but can you point me where to start in the google drive folder, how do i get it to run?

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah i was confused by the dates on the left, under Member Since. I see that now.
I patched the nino kuni nds with dutch.patch, did not run in desmume, patched with english.patch, also did not run. Any advice?
I mean we need at least a rom that runs on some emulator...

How about the Japanese version? I tried it and it runs perfectly, either on hardware or emulator.
It's even playable - I finished it, even up to the bonus dungeon and the WFC sidequests.
Thanks a lot for your advice, didn't know that a PS3 version existed in English. I'll try it! It should be worth my time more than this DS game.
Of course translating the familiar names will take more time, than say, the hundred or so story text files.

NO i don't think you need the book. At most the anwer to some of the riddles, but that is much less than translating the book. Also there is an english version of the book for the ps3 version, and i would assume the books not very different.

It's nice to see that spanish version is 98% but (1) the rom for spanish version can not be downloaded and (2) I don't believe spanish people are capable of such a feat. I would gladly translate a spanish version to english for that matter.

Aw yeah.

The book is useless for the DS version. You don't need it.
Akihoro Hino sends you telepathic messages containing the rune symbols and riddles needed to progress.
(btw I wrote that online guide)

You can't buy.. err excuse me I was distracted and saying foolish things.
You can't download a game that's not in your language. An invisible force will keep you from importing downloading it

Oh, indeed Spanish people can't do something like that, it's non-Spanish people who do stuff like the Tinke tool or a certain recent Final Fantasy fan-translation. It's against the rules of nature! We all know people born in Spain have only half a brain, the poor things can't learn ARM or learn how to do Japanese to Spanish translations. To elaborate on what you said, I actually pulled the translation tools out of my ass.
Oh, that's so nice of you to use that language you insulted the people talking it, and you will be translating from it to English. It's not like we didn't post here before saying we're not interested in Spanish to English translations, or Google Translator machine translations.

Oh you're joining? Oh, joy.
Let's trash everything done so far, and use a translation service that ignores a third of the available writing systems as well as any and all grammatical and conjugation rules.

No it will never be released.

Can anyone point me to a working non jp rom (even partially translated)?

Thank you very much for your fortune telling skills. It's much appreciated.
Oh, you need a ROM? This link contains one: http://gbatemp.net/help/terms

kosterix

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Ghanmi, i have the rom, the fact that the japanese nino kuni rom runs in desmume is not the issue. It is just noted that your approach does not bear many fruits, at least none i can detect.

Actually i was referring to this walkthrough
By Montxx
is that you?

or perhaps the excellent
http://ninokuni.wikia.com/wiki/NDS_Walkthrough
?

The spanish site does not offer demo's partial plays or anything. It's a lie, check for yourself.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Could you please stop acting like teams are lying?
it's not because it's not released that it doesn't exist. the only thing you did since you register is insult and criticize the work of the other users, request translation/patched ROMs (which is forbidden on this forum, you did read the rules?) or act like other owe you results.

also please, don't triple post, there's an edit button on your message.

Reactions: jupitersj

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kosterix is the perfect example of why we chose to limit access to the drive folder...
Nikhl, we won't at first, partly because we want to stay true to the original and partly because some content is DS exclusive. However, when the translation is done we're willing to release a second patch using the PS3 localization if people want one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Funny bone is the name of a chocolate and peanut butter cake :P