Nihon Falcom reveals The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel anime, won't directly adapt games

Nihon Falcom's long-running The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel JRPG series of games will be getting an anime, sort of. Announced during Falcom's 40th anniversary live stream was that there would be a TV anime series project releasing next year, based on the four Trails of Cold Steel games. UserJoy Technology, Funimation, SYOU, and NADA Holdings will be involved in the anime's creation, which won't directly adapt the games--as according to the staff, there's too much content to fit into an anime series--but it will instead cover side-stories that take place during the same time as the games, while featuring an original story.

:arrow: Source translation: Gematsu

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So kind of like Dragon Quest Dai or maybe the LoH anime will still feature characters from the games with an original story?
Most likely not at all like Dragon Quest Dai, which features a whole new set of characters, story, world building, and lore.
which won't directly adapt the games--as according to the staff, there's too much content to fit into an anime series--but it will instead cover side-stories that take place during the same time as the games, while featuring an original story.​

Last edited by NyaakoXD,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This could either be very interesting or VERY VERY BAD. If this is same time side stories, we will probably get the Liberl/SSS groups, covering stuff like the SSS's time in the Bird Cage.

Off the top of my head they have potential for:

-Crow/Towa's Class
-More training of young Rean.
-Events on the other routes from CS1 (would be weird but cool going back and seeing Laura and Fie at each other's necks again!)
-What everyone was doing during CS2 before joining back up with Rean
-More adventures of the Noble Alliance Generals (IE: Aurelia)
-Rean's adventures between CS2 and the Epilogue, and the Epilogue and CS3 as the Ashen Chevalier.
-SSS during the Bird Cage
-Again, what Class 7 does when not featured during CS3 and CS4.
-Liberl Group and SSS group when not focused on during CS4.
-Scenes from the Erebonian World War.

Wonder if they'll include Hajimari into this too, if so there's even more to focus on.

Last edited by VartioArtel,

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely not at all like Dragon Quest Dai, which features a whole new set of characters, story, world building, and lore.
Oh, I see, I guess I was thinking Dai was somehow connected to the Erdrick trilogy, but it's more just a DQ pastiche. Even if that were the case, LoH will be a lot more directly connected to the source material.

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That feeling when I see the words Falcom and Legend of Heroes and immediately think somethings been localized....

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, because the story isn't convoluted at all
It really isn't convoluted in the least until you get to CS4 really. The convoluted parts are we still don't understand the Society's true goals and that makes comprehending them, even after 10 games, a complete mystery. Everything else has always been rather simple with the most confusing stuff linked to the true antagonist of CS4 and even then that's rather simple to grasp.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, games are poorly written and bland anyway, maybe it's for the better
Do you just sit on the front page of GBATemp hitting the F5 key all day like a gremlin just to be the first one to complain about everything on every single thread??? Is there anything you do like (except complaining)???

Reactions: banjo2

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really isn't convoluted in the least until you get to CS4 really. The convoluted parts are we still don't understand the Society's true goals and that makes comprehending them, even after 10 games, a complete mystery. Everything else has always been rather simple with the most confusing stuff linked to the true antagonist of CS4 and even then that's rather simple to grasp.

The fact that someone new to the series can't jump into any game in any order makes it convoluted

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that someone new to the series can't jump into any game in any order makes it convoluted

If I remember:

Sky TC is fairly standalone IF you don't visit the doors (due to a LOT of covering of events from before/after FC/SC).

Sky SC is a direct hours-after sequal of FC due to a cliffhanger they had to write into the game due to shareholders.

Cannot speak for Azure vs Zero. But pretty sure Azure ties into the ending of Zero a bit heavily so ofc can't start Azure.

CS1/3 both can exist fairly standalone.

CS2/4 both presume you've played at least CS1/3 respectively as they basically start with plots running off cliffhangers.

And CS as a whole can be played without Sky/Zero+Azure, but doing so fills in a LOT of details/information that provides far more depth.

Hajimari's the only one that more or less wants you to have played the whole series but that's because it's a giant wrapup to the entire plots started in FC (although it focuses mostly Zero/Azure and CS).

If your idea of a 'convoluted' story is that you can't begin the story at any point, then, I say this with full intent to snark, I feel sorry for your English teachers since you kept wanting to skip the first 2 books of the "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" (Sky/Zero+Azure), and then start on chapter 4 (not even Chapter 1, but Chapter 4) of "Return of the King", in terms of comparison (roughly starting on CS2) and expect to understand the plot.

There's a reason each series (sans Zero/Azure, but there's a reason for those names for that duology) has Numbers/'chapters' in their title. If you're intentionally starting on Cold Steel 2 or Sky SC and calling the story 'convoluted', again, I feel bad for your English teachers since you expect to skip chapters of one massive cohesive story and understand what's going on and a lot of missing character development. If you're starting at the start of any arc, they explain just enough to cover the events of the prior arcs without glossing their entire plots.

The only convoluted parts of Trails are understanding the Society's plans (which let's be real, we STILL don't understand the Society's true goals after 10 games in), how all plots/events lead to CS4 (which isn't even necessary to grasp to enjoy CS4), and arguably the small side story material from two manga that aren't even necessary to enjoy small subplots of CS3/4.

So no, it's not that it's convoluted, you simply think #s are for show, may I suggest you get out of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest that use #s to explain how many mainline titles they have? Cognition bias due to weird decisions tends to lead to self-generated convolution.

Last edited by VartioArtel,
Reactions: Sansgaming420

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This could either be very interesting or VERY VERY BAD. If this is same time side stories, we will probably get the Liberl/SSS groups, covering stuff like the SSS's time in the Bird Cage.

Off the top of my head they have potential for:

-Crow/Towa's Class
-More training of young Rean.
-Events on the other routes from CS1 (would be weird but cool going back and seeing Laura and Fie at each other's necks again!)
-What everyone was doing during CS2 before joining back up with Rean
-More adventures of the Noble Alliance Generals (IE: Aurelia)
-Rean's adventures between CS2 and the Epilogue, and the Epilogue and CS3 as the Ashen Chevalier.
-SSS during the Bird Cage
-Again, what Class 7 does when not featured during CS3 and CS4.
-Liberl Group and SSS group when not focused on during CS4.
-Scenes from the Erebonian World War.

Wonder if they'll include Hajimari into this too, if so there's even more to focus on.

i highlightied my wishes on your post XD

Reactions: VartioArtel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION