What do you think about this "hack"?

• Total voters

Sparringpartner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
the hack runs unsigned code, rendering the regionlock useless. odds are that they will be able to make a game launcher that patches the region on the fly (or if we have a cfw, they could probably disable it outright), but the absolute worst case scenario is that you have to patch the region on your game manually (breaking the digital signature, but that won't matter) and then run that.

Sounds exciting ! Thanx for the info.

Celestral

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't mind if they made it so that you can't play pirated games. I just hope they do release a way eventually to remove the region lock.
I bought my 3DS for a game that came out in America about half a year ago and hasn't been picked up yet by the European translators.
So basically I've never touched my 3DS since I bought it.
Region Lock may be for 'economic protection' but then they'd better release the games everywhere and at nearly the same time.
I don't care if I can't play pirated games, but I do want to be able to actually buy and play the games I want.
So I really hope a region unlock comes out soon(ish) or at least at all.

Reactions: Anlex and Sukeroku

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind if they made it so that you can't play pirated games. I just hope they do release a way eventually to remove the region lock.
I bought my 3DS for a game that came out in America about half a year ago and hasn't been picked up yet by the European translators.
Region Lock may be for 'economic protection' but then they'd better release the games everywhere and at nearly the same time.
I don't care if I can't play pirated games, but I do want to be able to actually buy and play the games I want.
I think someone here should discuss this with you further.

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
O O
>
__ HOHSHEET

Sorry, couldn't grasp what you said properly.
Will this hack be able to play roms?
They're all the same...

Anlex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely second this.

I really hope that they release something to remove the stupid region lock. I don't care for anything else.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely second this.

I really hope that they release something to remove the stupid region lock. I don't care for anything else.
Too bad this exploit gives kernal access. Another guy in China could figure things out within weeks or months when the exploit is released in some form factor, which is hopefully NOT a Flashcart.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Too bad this exploit gives kernal access. Another guy in China could figure things out within weeks or months when the exploit is released in some form factor, which is hopefully NOT a Flashcart.
There will be some sort of hardware requirement, even if it's not a technical requirement they'll program the software to require some cart or dongle just so they can make you pay.

Look at the PS3 scene for good examples. The first hack types needed it, but then China got it in it.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There will be some sort of hardware requirement, even if it's not a technical requirement they'll program the software to require some cart or dongle just so they can make you pay.

Look at the PS3 scene for good examples. The first hack types needed it, but then China got it in it.
Well yes (to plant the save into the game), but I meant for continued reliance. I would really love for this to NOT end up like the PS3, but im wondering how you would even start to prevent that. Could you tell me how the PS3 Dongles exactly worked, not really into the scene? Would love for this to become a bit more like what the Wii was when it came to soft modding (when you got the hack deployed on the hardware in whatever way required, you wouldn't need to rely on special Hardware mods or external devices (Like the DS and Flashcarts) to still enjoy the new experience). As said before, when your 3DS is hacked, there is the ability to retrieve the movable.sed, and theoretically (PLEASE correct if im wrong, im not a "professional") you would could sign code to be readable on the SD combined with the already planted exploit plus program.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well yes (to plant the save into the game), but I meant for continued reliance. I would really love for this to NOT end up like the PS3, but im wondering how you would even start to prevent that. Could you tell me how the PS3 Dongles exactly worked, not really into the scene? Would love for this to become a bit more like what the Wii was when it came to soft modding (when you got the hack deployed on the hardware in whatever way required, you wouldn't need to rely on special Hardware mods or external devices (Like the DS and Flashcarts) to still enjoy the new experience). As said before, when your 3DS is hacked, there is the ability to retrieve the movable.sed, and theoretically (PLEASE correct if im wrong, im not a "professional") you would could sign code to be readable on the SD combined with the already planted exploit plus program.
Originally the PS3 needed extra hardware to send it certain signals on boot. This was originally done with a USB programmer, but those got sold out everywhere very quickly as soon as everybody found out, so then people ported the code to run on everything from some phones to some MP3 players, to a Ti-8x graphing calculator (I'm not even kidding here). As long as it could send custom signals out over USB, it'd work (which means NOT flash drives). So then China started building a bunch of barebones devices that weren't much good for actual USB debugging, but had just enough programming/hardware to send the right signals to the PS3 (since the full-on devices were constantly sold-out for like months).

Well, then mods to the OS came onto the scene, and the dongles weren't needed to boot a PS3 into a hacked state. So sales dropped off. Then some Chinese team (True Blue or whatever) bought an exploit off some guy (or developed their own, it's not clear) and modified it to interact with their specific USB device (and if it didn't find it, it would not run). So not only would you need to buy a device, but you'd need to buy THEIR device. Then others like the Cobra followed, realizing that if they could put something special on their device (PS2 compatibility in Cobra's case) and then require the dongle, people would have to buy from THEM.

Naturally, people didn't like this crap, so some of them cracked the Cobra's encryption or something and then maybe made their own open-source version, or maybe they just ripped it right from the Cobra if it was Sony's update in the first place. I'm not sure on this last part, I stopped paying attention to the PS3 scene at that point.
http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-hacks-ja...tware-emulator-on-3-55-cfw-without-cobra-usb/

Also generally the purpose of exploits is to patch out the need for programs to be signed in the first place. The catch-22 there being that you normally need signed software in order to modify the OS...

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that sucks really bad, so its a matter of not letting Devs get bought out, and out competing other Teams so that want to rip people off...

Well, being able to have kernal access would allow us to unlock the system, potentially, right? We just need to have more information and documentation of the 3DS itself first?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Naturally, people didn't like this crap, so some of them cracked the Cobra's encryption or something and then maybe made their own open-source version, or maybe they just ripped it right from the Cobra if it was Sony's update in the first place. I'm not sure on this last part, I stopped paying attention to the PS3 scene at that point.
http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-hacks-ja...tware-emulator-on-3-55-cfw-without-cobra-usb/
As I understand it, teams such as TB and Cobra released their own CFW with these extra features like PS2 software emulation and playing newer games, and those CFWs only worked (fully) with their dongle, of course (they worked like a regular CFW without a dongle I gather).

The "crack" was essentially a hacked version of that CFW to remove the checks for the dongle, so that all features would be enabled without any hardware.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that's how it happened.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As I understand it, teams such as TB and Cobra released their own CFW with these extra features like PS2 software emulation and playing newer games, and those CFWs only worked (fully) with their dongle, of course (they worked like a regular CFW without a dongle I gather).

The "crack" was essentially a hacked version of that CFW to remove the checks for the dongle, so that all features would be enabled without any hardware.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that's how it happened.
Sounds probable.

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

As far as I know you can only edit the SD card extdata and SD savegames with movable.sed

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know you can only edit the SD card extdata and SD savegames with movable.sed
Ah, thank you. However, Kernal access would probably allow us to remove most checks in the first place, seeing neimod talk about it, and how it can do practically anything.

Neimod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It'll most likely be released this year-just not in january.

[11:03] <shubshub> Will the exploit be released any time this year perhaps?
[11:04] <yellows8> no idea.

What exactly makes you think it will be released "most likely" this year?
yellows said "no idea" and that's how it is. To be honest "this year" is a very, very optimistic estimation.

Makapaka12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can I ask, do you know when it will be released?
What exactly makes you think it will be released "most likely" this year?
yellows said "no idea" and that's how it is. To be honest "this year" is a very, very optimistic estimation.

Can I ask when it will be released, I am just asking because it be quite a while since the actual announcement, sorry if you hate getting messages like this.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take your time and do it right is how its done. He doesn't want it like the DSi where the hack was rendered usless to most users hours after release. TBO anytime from now till they announce the 4DS is just peachy.

@Neimod - Keep up the good work and dont let anyone make you feel rushed. Afterall, its about the thrill of the hack.

Reactions: Sparringpartner

Filipe C Bello dos Santos

Real pirates don't buy fake copies.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
U know what's strange ? when i bought mu 3ds, a yer ago, nintendo was releasing a lot of firmware patches, after neimod and yellow came up with this hack, just one was released.
It could be that 3ds firmware is getting better and don't need so many fixes, but this made me think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, eh