Nintendo acquires Next Level Games

nlg.png

Nintendo has just announced the acquisition of Canadian video game developer Next Level Games. The latter is no stranger to Nintendo games having developed titles like Luigi’s Mansion 3, Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, the Punch-Out!! remake and the Super Mario Strikers series. The acquisition is expected to close this March 1st.

Are there any games you'd like to see emerging from this acquisition?

:arrow: SOURCE

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My examples are from the 3DS, as that shows the pedigree they're capable of, especially on the much more limiting hardware specifications of the time.

That is for a reason.
The Switch is when they didn't do as well.

This would be exactly the portfolio a corporate buyer would look for in a Gaming Company, with a history of great work and franchise IPs but also a slump so as to lower valuation and raise bargaining power.

If you're still baffled by this, then there's nothing I can really explain to you about what constitutes a good buy.
Still, if it's your money and you want to buy the best company when they're at their peak, who am I to tell you no.
just becuase a company was great on a diferent generation doesnt make it great on the next, becuase for all we know the talent might have been gone and picked up by other studios already and only the name remained.

Case in point Rare
Rare was amazing on snes and n64 days, they squeezed the hell out of the n64 made it r they wanted and even more, besides them or factor 5 i dont know who made the best games tech wise on the n64.

Then they were bought by microsoft with a console that had more than 10 times the power of the n64, most talent left and the ones that remained could even take the best that the xbox could do techwise not even close.

sometimes companys are only good because they have certain devs that really understand said hardware and make everything they can to take advantage of it, when they are bough and people leave they turn out a bad investment in the end.

And while i dont know the history of level5 i would bet many developers already left the company and the oens that are there are probably not very good, and their ips arent really worth the money they would charge nintendo to own them probably.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
odd i thought nintendo own this company all ready. also mario striker's needs more love.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
... besides GBA, DS, Wii, PS4 and Switch.
What I meant is that the 3DS is the only platform to have the Trilogy, Apollo Justice: AA, Dual Destinies, and Spirit of Justice.
The DS only has the first four games; the GBA the first three in Japanese only minus Rise From the Ashes; the Wii didn't get the 3DS titles; PS4, Switch and Steam only have the Trilogy.

D

Deleted User

I don't think you understand how speculative any acquisition is.

The rationale I have is laid out, and I could split hairs on the difference between an example company creating Nintendo games to then be bought by Microsoft and a company creating Nintendo games that stood toe-to-toe with Nintendo's own franchise to then be bought by Nintendo, but I don't see the point of elaborating further.

I put in my 2 Cents to Nintendo with my Comment, based on what I see right now in 2021 as potential.
That's about as simple as I can lay it out for anyone.

Reactions: medoli900

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the love of god give em control of Advance Wars. Intelligent systems is too focused on fire emblem to give Wars attention. It’s been over a decade since Wars had a release, and since 2005 for a good one.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'd take Federation Force in HD. It wasn't even a bad game. People were just butt hurt because it wasn't a mainline game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For the love of god give em control of Advance Wars. Intelligent systems is too focused on fire emblem to give Wars attention. It’s been over a decade since Wars had a release, and since 2005 for a good one.
I don't know why Fire Emblem is milked as much as it is.. Advance Wars would be fun on the Switch.

Reactions: banjo2

abda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

Nintendo has just announced the acquisition of Canadian video game developer Next Level Games. The latter is no stranger to Nintendo games having developed titles like Luigi’s Mansion 3, Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, the Punch-Out!! remake and the Super Mario Strikers series. The acquisition is expected to close this March 1st.

Are there any games you'd like to see emerging from this acquisition?
I need a new punch out on switch and new Super Mario Strikers. I can't stop playing it at my friend's house it's really good.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo isn't going to buy PlatinumGames (or at least anytime soon). Not because they (Nintendo) aren't interested, but more like PlatinumGames wanted to stay independent. PlatinumGames received huge investment from Tencent last year in order for the studio to self-publish their own future titles. It wouldn't make any sense for the studio to get bought out by anyone.

Also, the only reason why Nintendo bought Next Level Games now because they are forced to. Next Level Games directors were planning to sell their share. If Nintendo didn't step in and buy out the studio, it would have gone to some other company.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
cool, guess they didn't want another Rare-ware style loss, at least they learnt from their mistake and are willing to put their money down on the table to bring third parties under the wing who prove their worth to them

Nummurrow

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
What I meant is that the 3DS is the only platform to have the Trilogy, Apollo Justice: AA, Dual Destinies, and Spirit of Justice.
The DS only has the first four games; the GBA the first three in Japanese only minus Rise From the Ashes; the Wii didn't get the 3DS titles; PS4, Switch and Steam only have the Trilogy.

I know I'll probably be annoying with this, but 3DS isn't the only platform where you can play those games. There are mobile versions of Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice and the first Investigations.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know I'll probably be annoying with this, but 3DS isn't the only platform where you can play those games. There are mobile versions of Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, Spirit of Justice and the first Investigations.
But does it have the Trilogy? Does mobile have SoJ's "Asinine Attorney" extra (non-canon but funny) cases?

Nummurrow

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
But does it have the Trilogy? Does mobile have SoJ's "Asinine Attorney" extra (non-canon but funny) cases?

The trilogy isn't there but if you're expecting to have all the main games in one platform, I doubt that's going to happen anyway.

Not sure if they have those DLC's, but I'm sure both Turnabout Reclaimed and Turnabout Time Traveler (DLC's from DD and SoJ) are available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a