• Replies 658
  • Likes 4

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The Gameboy Micro history repeats again, in 10 years or so this 2DS will be very rare and expensive ya know ;). But yeah, I agree, this is the Gaming WTF Moment of the year.

Even Miley Cyrus will be shadowed by the 2DS memes nao.

992991_10201811742157367_1552419885_n.jpg

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now, this thing is ugly but anyone with destructive kids or kids in their family, this is a good thing to buy. I have 2 cousins and a niece that have destroyed their 3DS and they never play in 3D mode. So if you get a cheaper model that looks to be a bit tougher than a normal 3DS its a good buy.

Er?...it's probably the complete opposite, hinges aside. Since you could close the 3DS, the damn thing was near indestructible. I know mine got launched a few times by... accident, not a damn scratch on it. Everything works fine.
Chances are if kids are going to break a 3DS, they'll have a 2DS down in no time flat.
Frankly if kids destroy a 3DS, that should be it. They're clearly no where near old enough or mature enough to be responsible for an expensive piece of hardware.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was GBAtemp around back when the DS was originally announced? I'd be willing to bet that there was a bunch of negative feedback about the two screens being a silly gimmick that would cause all the GBA momentum to be lost. Same thing with the Wii remote.

This is Nintendo we're talking about here. I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to creating something different. I'm assuming battery life will be improved as well. Combine that with the better price, and no hinges to worry about breaking, and I could see moms picking this up in droves for their young children.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Developers don't have as much impact on the 3D effect as one might think - the SDK does most of the job on the basis of distance in the Z-plane (depth). The models are either in the foreground or in the background, that's the gist of it.

Well, most of them are like that, but not all. For example the next Phoenix Wright game, the devs said it was pretty hard to get the 3D effect exactly how they wanted during the scene where Phoenix points his finger. z.z

Orsted

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.lukiegames.com
XP
Country
United States
I kind of like it design-wise. It seems like they went for a setup that would make it incredibly hard for children to break it and removed the feature that would give them poo-eyes. If only they realized that very young children are the most untamable demographic.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Noticed something looking at the 2DS again...

IT OPNLY HAS ONE SPEAKER NO WAY NO DICE ASKJHDLKJASHDLAJSH WTF NINTENDO YOU ARE KILLING YOURSELF!!

;O;OOOO;MG;

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, you know this console has moar games than psvita? and it's better cuz it's nintendo! ;o;
The 3DS will be more expensive in a few days to make the price difference bigger!, and the best: it's all worth it!
~ValwinV2

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This can't be real; just... can't be. Just... why are they releasing this? I guess it does sound nice to have a DS, a 2DS, and a 3DS in your handheld collection :wtf:. All they need to complete the circle is the 4DS, which can play games that evolve through the months you play them. It's kind of like evolving Pokemon; it takes time to evolve them, but it's worth it.

Odnetnin46

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone in this thread is missing the point of the 2DS. It's meant for two things:

1. Cost-reduction.
2. A younger audience.

I'll agree it looks like a piece of toast and unergonomic as hell, but it's aimed at children under 7 years old. Fitting, as it looks like a Fischer-Price toy, and is cheaper than the real thing, also like a Fischer-Price toy.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Er?...it's probably the complete opposite, hinges aside. Since you could close the 3DS, the damn thing was near indestructible. I know mine got launched a few times by... accident, not a damn scratch on it. Everything works fine.
Chances are if kids are going to break a 3DS, they'll have a 2DS down in no time flat.
Frankly if kids destroy a 3DS, that should be it. They're clearly no where near old enough or mature enough to be responsible for an expensive piece of hardware.
It might be sturdy when it's closed, but if it drops while playing (which is somewhat likely to happen with young kids) it won't be closed.

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
It's ugly but...

According to Fils-Aime, the idea for the 2DS came from wanting to appeal to younger consumers, as the standard 3DS is aimed at players age seven and up.

...it's not exactly aimed at anyone who would be on this board. It's aimed at little kids who would be (more) likely to break the hinge.

Then again, this is the internet so... have fun tearing it apart.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I don't get how people can say this is pointless... This is the smartest thing they did in a long time.

I think it is great how at this point Nintendo is going to provide a handheld-experience on so many different ways for people suiting their needs and also their financial-situation!

This thing strips everything that made the original 3DS pricier as it should have been: clamshell and 3D-screen!

In a nutshell:
-people who have enough money for a "normal system" that is more portable: 3DS
-people who have enough money for a "normal" but also want a bigger system (the ones who mostly play at home or on the workplace or something): 3DS XL
-people who don`t have enough money but still want to play 3DS-games: 2DS

I play every game with 3D but even if I wouldn't play the games in 3D I wouldn't buy a 2DS because of its design (without clamshell) and because my financial situation is good enough to get a normal 3DS and I would just rock the 3D-slider to the bottom. People who aren't in a fortunate situation like that but want to play 3DS-games have be content with a less premium device with no 3D (a feature that is pure luxury but completely optional in the first place!).

You can get from point A to point B with a VW and a Audi - So Volkswagen provided a two ways to do that: a luxurious way and a not so luxurious way. That`s why they are on top of their game!

So finally through this the install base will be broadened even greater too and the software sales will increase as well! Smart...
Or, you know, you can just get a cheap 3DS second hand.

I swear, even bullshit looks better than this.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Pros:
1. looks like tablet (for tablet-crazed folks)
2. no hinges to break.
3. should button looks cool
4. proper start and select buttons revived.
5. Home button is also a cooler button than before./

Cons:
1. It's hideous.
2. No Wifi button (not that I could see one, I saw the slot for stylus, button for sleep, power button, earpiece jack, streetpass light, wifi light)
3. It's height is comparable to a closed/folded 3DS, and its length is to a Open/unfolded 3ds. means BULKIER.
4. Mono-audio
5. NO 3D (previous models have 3D, which you turn off if you don't want it)
6. Firmware definitely > 4.5 (for folks wanting GW3DS)
7. It has a sleek design, which is regarded as ugly to many.
8. No second circle pad (really, again Ninty?)
9. No Power saving (I mean, why did they remove that?)
10. It's an unpleasant sight that can kill the living and wake the dead, and proceed to kill the dead cause it's just so horrid

I know, I've said it's ugly 3 times.
It's not that ugly, I just can't stand it right now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Had to break down and turn on my AC today. 89 degrees in May. Bet August/September is gonna be...