Nintendo has no more games scheduled for release on the 3DS

ds-end-500x271.jpg

The 3DS originally launched back in 2011 as Nintendo's eighth generation handheld and a successor to the vastly popular DS. It sold relatively well with a total of 75 million units worldwide, surpassing by far its home console counterpart, the ill-fated WIi U, and its competitor, the PlayStation Vita. Despite the immense success of the Nintendo Switch, the 3DS continued to hold up pretty well thanks to its huge list of available titles appealing to a wide audience of people, with games such as Mario Kart 7 (the system's top-seller), Super Smash Bros for 3DS, Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon and many others, which helped to ramp up its sales and stay alive for over two years after the Switch's release.

But as with every product out there; no matter how popular, well-known or successful, a console has a limited timespan that must eventually come to an end. Yesterday marked the western release date of Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth, a dungeon crawler RPG spinoff of the highly esteemed Persona 5 game, and pretty much nothing else noteworthy has been released or announced aside from some titles such as Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (a remake of the original classic on the Wii) and a few Indies here and there.

The time is nigh for the 3DS, as many developers, along with their respective resources, are shifting their attention towards the Switch, thus dropping third-party support for Nintendo's previous handheld console significantly. Not to mention how the general user base has migrated towards the latter too, mainly due to the various upcoming/released games or for its hardware-related innovations and features. As a result, Nintendo of Japan's website reports that there are no more games scheduled on the upcoming releases list for the 3DS, hence leaving its lineup of games completely empty for the time being, which might upset hardcore 3DS fans.

:arrow:Source
:arrow:Source 2

Last edited by RattletraPM, , Reason: (Grammar revision and corrections asked by OP)

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder how long Online is going be up for the Wii-U and 3DS

About as long as Wii had their servers up. An easy reference: MK was released in 2008 for Wii; the servers went down in 2014. So most likely May, 2020 for Wii U and maaaaybe November 2022 for 3DS.

could get DMCA'd fined, and etc etc.

Oh, I think that's the least of their concerns. Something tells me China will play a major role, as always, with nearly every Ninty system.

Reactions: NoNAND

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In contrast to it's predecessor, the 3ds has aged rather poorly.
but let's look at the bright side of things. it did better than the Vita to say the least and than the Wii u as aforementioned in the OP.

Perhaps, it has some solid games, and being able to play Snes games on there is pretty cool, I gotta admit.

Reactions: NoNAND

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you bet! I have a handful of SNES games installed on my 3ds which I haven't got around to play them yet due to my busy daily schedule, studies and stuff.

For homebrew, 3DS is pretty darn decent I think, kinda wished the Switch had Snes games, here's hoping they showcase them at E3.

umbreon112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suspect they'll come out with a Switch-light model instead of making a new handheld console as a successor. Because really, what first party games would they be able to make for a 4DS that isn't already on Switch? (smash bros, animal crossing, pokemon, fire emblem, zelda, mario, etc. are all available/going to be released).

D

Deleted User

the 3ds is very personal to me, it is sad that no more new games are coming to the system but at least we got persona q2 to end off the library with a bang. i really love this system, there was so many good games on the system. on the switch its just noting but ports of games i have already played. honestly im okay with the 3ds dying, its been out for so long, they are bound to kill services (nintendo zone and that video player app thingy) as long as they dont kill online until a couple years later ill be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk