Nintendo has reportedly gone after the Super Mario 64 PC port, making copyright claims over it

Mario-64-PC-1024x508.jpg

As many expected, Nintendo is likely going after the recently released fanmade Super Mario 64 PC port. After gaining notoriety and popularity throughout the internet, certain YouTube videos and Reddit posts featuring gameplay recordings of the port have been copyright claimed. It appears that Wildwood Law Group LLC, a group that has previously assisted Nintendo in these matters, is responsible for going after the uploads of the game. Not only that, but TorrentFreak is also reporting that they got ahold of a complaint that Nintendo filed with Google, in regards to a Google Drive download link of the game, with the statement, "The copyrighted work is Nintendo's Super Mario 64 video game, including the audio-visual work, software, and fictional character depictions covered by U.S. Copyright Reg No. PA[REDACED]." Links containing a download to an .XCI Nintendo Switch port of the game also appear to have begun making the rounds as well. Seeing that the group behind the Super Mario 64 PC port uploaded the complete game online all at once, many users have probably already backed it up to a variety of sources.

:arrow: Source

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the day i get shook about a bunch of sonic weirdos is the day i leave the internet forever.
i think its less about sonic and more so about nintendo just continually taking shits on their fan projects
Nintendo doesn't even bother to put some form of virtual console onto the switch other than the switch online service which doesn't even have n64 games
And for the people who don't own a Wii or a wii U, they have to resort to illegal methods to play
and really, would you perfer SM64 in the original 4:3 aspect ratio at 480p or SM64 in 16:9 at 1080p

Reactions: arjunpatel

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think its less about sonic and more so about nintendo just continually taking shits on their fan projects
Nintendo doesn't even bother to put some form of virtual console onto the switch other than the switch online service which doesn't even have n64 games
And for the people who don't own a Wii or a wii U, they have to resort to illegal methods to play
and really, would you perfer SM64 in the original 4:3 aspect ratio at 480p or SM64 in 16:9 at 1080p
i'm all for this thing existing %100. I just get annoyed when people put them on blast not to mention a ton of legitimate reasons why the 64 patent is still important but it really hasnt been that long.

i do want to try this I found some ported version to switch. but let nintendo do whatever they want like everyone says it makes little difference

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling Nintendo listens to the customers of Japan more. As, majority of the popular franchise games and consoles are developed and programmed there.

For all we know, Japan is very anti-n64. I would doubt it. But then again, Japan doesn't seem to have an extremely massive Homebrew and hackers/modders community(I didn't check any sources, just a wild guess that I like).

Japan is also very poor compared to some countries, too. Not ALL of the people are. According to my sources, Japan is one of the worst places for poverty, too. Especially in children.

Another thing I have thought about, Japan is quite a busy place. Many of the people who live there might not have time to play games like we do.

But Nintendo takes Japan as their number one place to sell products, and well, it is.

This is just my take on this whole thing. I could go deeper, but I wont to save time.

Reactions: IncredulousP

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling Nintendo listens to the customers of Japan more. As, majority of the popular franchise games and consoles are developed and programmed there.

For all we know, Japan is very anti-n64. I would doubt it. But then again, Japan doesn't seem to have an extremely massive Homebrew and hackers/modders community(I didn't check any sources, just a wild guess that I like).

Japan is also very poor compared to some countries, too. Not ALL of the people are. According to my sources, Japan is one of the worst places for poverty, too. Especially in children.

Another thing I have thought about, Japan is quite a busy place. Many of the people who live there might not have time to play games like we do.

But Nintendo takes Japan as their number one place to sell products, and well, it is.

This is just my take on this whole thing. I could go deeper, but I wont to save time.
"Japan is very anti-n64."
I guess everyone jumped on the sony bandwagon back then lmfao
But yeah you're right
it's the biggest problem with nintendo really- but at the same time i can't blame them that much- theyre a japanese company at heart
I don't really know how many people buy nintendo's consoles over here in the US. If it's the majority of the sales nintendo gets then yeah- they should listen to the western audience more
Plus, many of the ideas that are suggested by the western audience are ideas that could heavily alter nintendo's state in the industry- for the better
Especially the ones concerning their mediocre online features and services (we shouldnt need a phone to Voice chat, bring back virtual console, improve netcode in general, bring back themes from the 3ds, integrate a chat like discord into the switch, allow us to record more than 30 seconds of gameplay, etc)
I guess that's what nintendo of america is for though..

Last edited by 64bitmodels,

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
"Japan is very anti-n64."
I guess everyone jumped on the sony bandwagon back then lmfao
But yeah you're right
it's the biggest problem with nintendo really- but at the same time i can't blame them that much
I don't really know how many people buy nintendo's consoles over here in the US. If it's the majority of the sales nintendo gets then yeah- they should listen to the western audience more
Plus, many of the ideas that are suggested by the western audience are ideas that could heavily alter nintendo's state in the industry- for the better
Especially the ones concerning their mediocre online features and services (we shouldnt need a phone to Voice chat, bring back virtual console, improve netcode in general, bring back themes from the 3ds, integrate a chat like discord into the switch, allow us to record more than 30 seconds of gameplay, etc)
I guess that's what nintendo of america is for though..
Now, I'm all down for Nintendo giving us more attention, too. But at the same time would that really benefit Nintendo? Everyone gets upset at them for being selfish. When in reality... Well that's just how it fucking is now isn't it?

It's insane really, Nintendo is already CRAZY successful. Why would they need to do more? Throwing themselves out into America might be the WORST idea for them. Why? Well, we would be expecting even MORE from them. While I would be happy if they did give us more attention, I am also glad they do not. Nintendo is already doing great. Mind you, they started as a CARD company. And then were hosts for SEX hotels in japan! They have come a long way dude.

I feel like they should just keep going. They keep enough people happy, plus. In all reality. MAJORITY of the consumers of things like the Switch for example aren't modding or using homebrew. They just buy the carts like normal people. And don't think anything of it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't aggressively defend your copyright, it can be held as evidence in court as to why you don't deserve it any more. Seriously, if you become too popular and don't defend it, then you lose it. Ot is a broken system, but watcha gonna do.

That being said, it sucks. Especially fan projects that never get finished. All those chrono trigger fan projects that never finished because they announced wayyy too early. Sadness. But glad this one was done at least. And the switch one.
No. That's trademark. You could theoretically allow people to pirate something for 30 years, and still be well within your rights to make a claim on it whenever you wanted

Reactions: Ryccardo

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
I know, so the sources might be okay. Still not sharing my stuff though.
That might be smart. Really, really REALLY smart lmfao.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Will this pc port be acceptable for speed runs? So we won't end up in a situation like that DK world record guy.
You are best to ask the people who run the speed-run community.

They tend to follow the law, so I wouldn't know for sure.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the sources and I'm trying to make some QoL changes.

Guess I'm never releasing that.

Edit:
You do need the ROM to build it.

Releasing a delta of the changes of your source to a known/fixed point from the straight decompilation seems to be the order of the day. There are still some things able to be done but as it is arguably your own work (law here is rather hazy, and case law likely to apply to such an instance even harder to come by -- on the one hand cheats and ROM hacks have existed for decades and in some cases even ruled legal, in other cases see what various Blizzard vs the world cases came up with and managed to have fly in court) and presumably in and of itself does not facilitate anything then.

The trick will probably be making it so mere mortals can compile it. Personally I am thinking codeblocks as a good target for that one; sure it is massive compared to other choices but it is potentially plug and play by clicking on icons, command line loses about half your audience right off the hop and if you find yourself messing with paths in Windows (ever had a mingw or cygwin install that did not go there?) that is more like 99%. Microsoft compilers are an option but given the state of flux their compiler world exists in most of the time I would like to be able to stand a chance of doing this 10 years out without some kind of code refactor because they dropped something or messed with libraries too much, or people having to pay for something because why not. The delta is a harder one for while GIT makes short work of such things it is not as nice as some of the binary patchers in some ways.

Edit
Will this pc port be acceptable for speed runs? So we won't end up in a situation like that DK world record guy.
There are about 500 speedrun communities with even more interpretations of what is acceptable, and that is without getting into the TAS world.
That said while I can see some counting it the N64 is still reasonably available, as is Nintendo's own emulated versions, so it will probably not have a difficulty of finding the real deal exception made and most of the ones I see are sticklers for accuracy, even if you can ensure accuracy because you have the code right in front of you and know the hardware it runs on.
If it is that much nicer to play though that people will gravitate towards it you can always start your own run.

Last edited by FAST6191,

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Releasing a delta of the changes of your source to a known/fixed point from the straight decompilation seems to be the order of the day. There are still some things able to be done but as it is arguably your own work (law here is rather hazy, and case law likely to apply to such an instance even harder to come by -- on the one hand cheats and ROM hacks have existed for decades and in some cases even ruled legal, in other cases see what various Blizzard vs the world cases came up with and managed to have fly in court) and presumably in and of itself does not facilitate anything then.

The trick will probably be making it so mere mortals can compile it. Personally I am thinking codeblocks as a good target for that one; sure it is massive compared to other choices but it is potentially plug and play by clicking on icons, command line loses about half your audience right off the hop and if you find yourself messing with paths in Windows (ever had a mingw or cygwin install that did not go there?) that is more like 99%. Microsoft compilers are an option but given the state of flux their compiler world exists in most of the time I would like to be able to stand a chance of doing this 10 years out without some kind of code refactor because they dropped something or messed with libraries too much, or people having to pay for something because why not. The delta is a harder one for while GIT makes short work of such things it is not as nice as some of the binary patchers in some ways.

It's not that hard to ship a handful of binaries and make it plug and play. A couple text fields and a button and you can automate the rest.

Still not doing it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bet it's going to be a category.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a little annoying from our point of view, but the anger is not justified. Its their property and they have a right to defend it.

If you took years out of your life making something, especially something that represents your source of livelihood, then someone copied it, in this case not even creatively, just bit for bit. Then gave it away to everyone for free, you'd probably be pretty pissed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Let me finish do the harder drugs