Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Quoting me from the other thread
My favorite part is the mental gymnastics they are going through to pin rampant piracy onto the emulator. I am pretty sure it’s not illegal to dump your own files but Nintendo seems to think it is, so wondering how that will turn out

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo has a reputation of having some kind of outstanding ninja lawyer team or something, but I don't see them getting their way with this one. Too flimsy.
I don't think Nintendo is looking to win, I think they plan on abusing the court system to bankrupt the Yuzu team. I also think they are hoping to make other emulators and homebrew projects afraid to continue.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Did nintendo never read what happened with Bleem?
Sony didn't have the backing of the DMCA. Nintendo does. If this case however wins, it will be a massive trouble for all emulators going forward.

Right now Nintendo are blaming Yuzu and Ryujinx thanks to repackers (even if I don't like them I understand why they exist and some releases are a godsend *hint The Sims*).

They seem to use the circumvention argument in the DMCA for this case.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yuzu is no different than a NES emulator. if they can take yuzu down then they can take down a NES emulator which if they could have done that they would have by now. the only thing that has changed is judges. nowadays judges have are crazy with way of interpreting law.

i hope nintendo loses. I own a couple switches and purchased zelda for the switch but played it on yuzu too. Nintendo got my money but they lost my respect going after the methods in which I enjoy things.

screw corporate control and screw nintendo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol