Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

Nakamichi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wow, thanks to all the arguing here nintendo has won and/or lost the lawsuit and peace was restored!
Im so proud and/or disappointed in everyone here.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Make sure you buy a used Switch so that Nintendo does not profit.
That's what I do! Games and systems, all used. Only those games that I want to support the developer are worthy of paying for brand new.

I misfired with Dread, sure, but others are worthy of the investment. But not many.

calagan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Wondering if it's actually a good idea to create a LLC (Tropic Haze LLC in this case) around the development of an emulator. Is there really enough profit to be made via Patreon?

If you demonstrate that the development of Yuzu is a labour of love and that Patreon incomes are hardly enough to cover hosting costs, you will make it much harder for Nintendo to sue you.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what did the head dev said about piracy?
"might as well pirate a folder", sharing images of media running in yuzu ahead of release yada yada. Its all in the lawsuit listed as evidence
Post automatically merged:

Wondering if it's actually a good idea to create a LLC (Tropic Haze LLC in this case) around the development of an emulator. Is there really enough profit to be made via Patreon?

If you demonstrate that the development of Yuzu is a labour of love and that Patreon incomes are hardly enough to cover hosting costs, you will make it much harder for Nintendo to sue you.
You can host a project like this without any cost all on github/with github services. BTW they make 30k a month on patreon and made about 50k with the premium sales on google play.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the piracy before the release that broke the camel's back. Let's get real guys, I can understand if these are jailbroken units but these are emulated so anyone with a PC can run TOTK the week before release date.
Maybe Nintendo shouldn't be so leaky then.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
"Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release." This is load of BS by the way. Same old tactics used in the past.
Also you dont need Yuzu to play the games you need hacked switch...
ALSO! Maybe nintendo should do something about early game leaks if they dont like it instead of going against emulator.

Ill say it again, there is no damage, just benefits. They basically get free advertisement from these emulators and pirated software. I didnt see them saying TOTK or BOTW sold poorly, in fact, their mouth where full of praises how well the game sold. So what loss?! (its a rethorical question)

Nintendo are just bunch of selfish fuckers, no wonder entire gaming comunity hates them.

And for anyone saying "well they have right" please go work for nintendo and become a lawyer, youre not a real gamer.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And how would they put them out of business? Oh yeah.... From them not making money.... Due to piracy. Proving my point there m8
Disclaimer: I don't support piracy of new games that are still on shelves and deserve the price that their hardworking devs have earned. That sounds like boilerplate but it's the truth, and it's where I personally draw the line with piracy.

However, in the interest of discussing this issue properly, can you concede that pinning the blame for piracy on the developers of an emulator is myopic at best? The devs aren't the ones ripping games and sharing ROMs.
Post automatically merged:

Nintendo makes it hard these days not to despise them.
Very, very hard. They desperately need new blood and fresh thinking at the top.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I don’t think there’s any hope this time because of 2 points:
1. allow leaked game to be played before release
2. making money from patreon

point 1 makes a big difference because other emu like rpcs3 and cemu are old and its developed long after both consoles are dead, while yuzu just straight up let you play leaked game before release.
Who's gonna tell him that BOTW leaked before release?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.