Nintendo is teaming up with Tag Heuer to release a limited, $2,000 smartwatch

asdasdasd.png

Mario is making his way to posh luxury with the release of a limited-edition collaboration project. Nintendo and watchmaker Tag Heuer are releasing a smartwatch that features the one and only Super Mario. The "Tag Heuer Connected x Super Mario Limited Edition" smartwatch will rock Android's Wear OS, but will come outfitted with exclusive Mario faces and animations. Only 2.000 watches will be made, and they'll come at a price: $2,150. That money will net you the watch, the prestige of owning a piece of "gaming-themed fashion tech" and all those cutesy physical activity-monitoring Mario animations. It's planned to go on sale at select Tag Heuer locations later today, though all pre-sale reservations are already sold out.

:arrow: Source

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Some IT engineers got into the computer world through gaming (so some of them might like Mario) and they're obviously a bit into technology (so some of them might like smartwatches or fitness trackers (even if they don't do anything fitness)) and/or "geek" gadgets (you know, NASA rockets in LEGO or anything Star Wars, so technology watch + Mario = yes), and their job gives them enough money for that watch.
Still not a lot of people though.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Gamers who don't exercise enough to need a fitness watch?
The exercise regimen is hardly the biggest hurdle, it's that price tag. Double the initial price tag of my PC. I got a pretty solid smartwatch for $75 years ago, still works fine but I don't really use it. So it would have to be a gamer who exercises but also has a lot of disposable income.

I would definitely like that watch but not at that price...
Good news: it'll probably sell so poorly that it drops to 75% off pretty quick. Bad news: that's still $500, and still not worth it.

Last edited by Xzi,

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The exercise regimen is hardly the biggest hurdle, it's that price tag. Double the initial price tag of my PC. I got a pretty solid smartwatch for $75 years ago, still works fine but I don't really use it. So it would have to be a gamer who exercises but also has a lot of disposable income.

Good news: it'll probably sell so poorly that it drops to 75% off pretty quick. Bad news: that's still $500, and still not worth it.
A gamer, who exercises, has a lot of disposable income in the midst of a pandemic (when job income isn't exactly as reliable as it used to be), and who wouldn't just abandon a smartwatch after a week of moderate use.

Back in my high school days, I used a regular watch quite often, since a) I didn't have a smartphone yet, and b) phones were banned anyway and had to be stowed away in lockers. Pretty much as soon as I graduated, I stopped using my watch, especially since my parents gifted me my first smartphone on my birthday (which wasn't that long after graduation); don't even know where that watch is now.
Would I be interested in a smartwatch, when I have a smartphone I keep with me pretty much everywhere? Nah.

If this was the late 20th Century, when smartphones didn't even exist yet, I'd see smartwatches being a massive thing - especially after James Bond and other fictional spies popularised the general idea. The fact that smartwatches came out after smartphones just killed 'em stone dead.

Reactions: CallmeBerto and Xzi

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If it wasn't Mario it would be interesting, but I loathe Mario as a character.

Tbh, anything Zelda related would make a cooler watch.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just to answer the question: It is for collectors and scalpers that have enough money on the side, so they can make even more money, while the actual product is never even being touched.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who likes Mario AND fancy watches? Children who can't afford it and wouldn't know how to treat a fancy watch right anyway? Gamers who don't exercise enough to need a fitness watch? Fashionistas with too much money who want the latest trend who would see this as childish?
Collectors

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh