Homebrew Nintendo now has a 3DS bug bounty page open

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
3 years is such a long time when you're young. 20 years was an estimate. What is it then? 17 and that's not counting betas. Feel free to say something relevant next time.

Anyone can say X is X years old.
I could also say the first version of the Internet is 100 years old.
That doesn't make it true.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Anyone can say X is X years old.
I could also say the first version of the Internet is 100 years old.
That doesn't make it true.
Yeah except you're just splitting hairs here. Saying Counter-Strike is 20 years old is much more relatively true as opposed to pulling some number out of your ass.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you even read the posts in the thread?

Yes I did read the post did you ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo should guarantee 20 grand. THEN you would have people's attention. This arbitrary bullshit is just a way to give snitches the least amount possible.

Maybe Nintendo is trying to lure Smea out :tpi:

need I remind you this is NINTENDO we
are talking about. The same company who disrespects the YouTube community giving them free advertisement. You know they're going to shaft you. So no. They don't have to give you 20k and most defintlely won't

Seems like Nintendo is really trying to crush consumer rights completely no cheats,no flash carts,no more Rom hacks & no more nand dumps if they succeed it's over :(

Last edited by SSG Vegeta,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
And if so, how exactly can they tell if a console has A9LH installed?

Forgive my questions if they are stupid.
With a background process that could scan everything running in memory while idle on the homemenu, they could identify Luma patches that shouldn't be there, and prevent any software from launching. And as far as un-A9LHaxing the console, I'm surprised Nintendo doesn't patch it yet and remove A9LH. If hackers can place files on a system, Nintendo can too. There's no reason that official signed software with full kernel and ARM9+ARM11 access can't undo A9LHax, I'd have to call bullshit. I think they're just stuck on how to implement the fix across all 3DS variants without bricking everyone's consoles.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Last edited by zoogie,

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a background process that could scan everything running in memory while idle on the homemenu, they could identify Luma patches that shouldn't be there, and prevent any software from launching.
and if such a process were implemented, shortly after a patch for luma and other cfws can be made to stub it out

And as far as un-A9LHaxing the console, I'm surprised Nintendo doesn't patch it yet and remove A9LH. If hackers can place files on a system, Nintendo can too. There's no reason that official signed software with full kernel and ARM9+ARM11 access can't undo A9LHax, I'd have to call bullshit. I think they're just stuck on how to implement the fix across all 3DS variants without bricking everyone's consoles.

and again, since we have code exec before firm loads, once whatever magic a9lh-removing function is found, we can patch it out. may take some work, but with almost full contol over the system, it makes it very hard for nintendo to win

Reactions: ManuelKoegler

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
With a background process that could scan everything running in memory while idle on the homemenu, they could identify Luma patches that shouldn't be there, and prevent any software from launching. And as far as un-A9LHaxing the console, I'm surprised Nintendo doesn't patch it yet and remove A9LH. If hackers can place files on a system, Nintendo can too. There's no reason that official signed software with full kernel and ARM9+ARM11 access can't undo A9LHax, I'd have to call bullshit. I think they're just stuck on how to implement the fix across all 3DS variants without bricking everyone's consoles.
luma update that patches out that backround process though they can't beat a9lh because the cfw can disable all the checks if we don't update till its safe luma can be updated to patch out what ever they can do a9lh has full controll so we can patch out what ever nintedo does and the can't patch us as long as we don't update untill its safe its like the cat and mouse game where nintedo and luma patch eatch other

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

shelby--san

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Thanks for the reply. Very clear explanation. :)

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With a background process that could scan everything running in memory while idle on the homemenu, they could identify Luma patches that shouldn't be there, and prevent any software from launching.

And with putting a scan in memory (which will be pretty noticeable due to the resource intensive nature of the task you're suggesting - as it will have to look in-depth for each item in memory, to prevent spoofs of "rogue" items) we can also just find that patch, and either NOP it completely so it doesn't run, or spoof the results by injecting our own code into the process to tell it "yup. We're all good!" whilst Luma patches are sitting right next to it in memory.

And as far as un-A9LHaxing the console, I'm surprised Nintendo doesn't patch it yet and remove A9LH. If hackers can place files on a system, Nintendo can too. There's no reason that official signed software with full kernel and ARM9+ARM11 access can't undo A9LHax, I'd have to call bullshit. I think they're just stuck on how to implement the fix across all 3DS variants without bricking everyone's consoles.

Nope, it's definitely not as easy as you make out [to remove A9LH].

If hackers can place files on a system, Nintendo can too. There's no reason that official signed software with full kernel and ARM9+ARM11 access can't undo A9LHax, I'd have to call bullshit.

You're forgetting A9LH hooks the system BEFORE Nintendo's software runs. We have full control, and thus can stop or start things we want even before launching the FW. We throw the first punch as it were.

Think of A9LH like a PC's Bios. The Bios is completely separate from the OS and merely "hands over" control once it does it's POST check etc (simplified of course, but that's the general idea).

If you have Malware in your BIOs (entirely possible. There was a recent Mac virus which did this) - reinstalling the OS will do NOTHING because it's in the Bios; The section of firmware which hands over to your OS. The only method to remove such malware is to completely replace the Bios chip, as flashing does not guarantee the malware will not store itself in a Bios backup (which every motherboard does in case of a bad Bios update) and re-install itself.

Same for A9LH. Nintendo cannot force A9LH out of a system because A9LH effectively resides in the 3DS' Bios. Short of removing the chip completely, you can't "shoo" it away like you can Homebrew. You can call bullshit all you like, but this is definitely NOT as simple as "patch a few things and away we go!". There was a reason some referred to A9LH as the "god exploit"[because we have full control before Nintendo's FW loads up. We can get in early, NOP any checks/attempts to use A9LH and carry on].

I think they're just stuck on how to implement the fix across all 3DS variants without bricking everyone's consoles.

Wrong. They're not doing it because of the above. They also tried sorting this mess out before, by changing how the N3DS does it's whole "crypto" thing with the kernel and that worked out....not (hey, while we release a new 3DS version with improvements, why not make it harder to crack...which didn't quite work to plan in the end..).

Our old friend Yifan Lu did a really good blog post on this before actually (find it here) but in short this was Nintendo's original crypto system to help prevent Homebrew/A9LH used in the O3Ds and here's the N3DS implementation. They tried (obviously. There's loads more activity going on in the N3DS diagram Vs the old one) but evidently failed. The funny thing is, Nintendo's "new and improved" crypto/Bootloader system is WHY A9LH is so successful (the wonderful irony).

tl;dr for those with short attention spans:

They can't remove A9LH because we get the first "hit" in early during boot. If Nintendo got in before us, then it's possible they could remove A9LH in some form but they can't because they're more a less last to boot in the boot chain. They can't change that either, short of somehow remaking how the 3DS does it's boot sequence, and even then that won't be possible in update form (it would, however, be flashed onto newer 3DS' off the production line) so existing A9LH installs will be forever safe unless the user screws up and only then will it be removed from the system (but by the user's own fault, not through Nintendo removing it).

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

Izukyun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi there aboodx ;-; i know this kind out of topic but can i ask help on making a NNiD for 3DS (iguessitcanbemadeinwiitoo)? i have problems in my 3ds (miimakerbug) and i rly rly need help ;0; i tried to pm but i dunno how to pm here sadly ;-;

D

Deleted User

We might aswell call the next update patchhax or peasanthax since the next update will be created by a hacker but approved by ninty and it will turn our 3ds's into consoles with restricted features converting people who update into peasants.

Last edited by ,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone should have waited till the game released in their region.
exactly. If you've ever illegally downloaded a game, you would know that online capabilities do not work, and essentially, when you go online, you pretty much tell the company that you have a copy of this game, illegitimate or not, and then its up to them on deciding the legitimacy by either with an account or a release date. Not going online should have been obvious, and on top of that, I still feel that the whole pokemon SM fiasco played a pretty decent role in nintendo's move with this bug bounty, possibly due to how many people it happened to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c95QJXRKdIw&pp=ygUdcmFtYm8gMiBtaXNzaW9uIGFjY29tcGxpc2hlZCA%3D