Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox's online services are all currently under investigation by UK govt

Xbox-One-PS4-Switch-951258.jpg

The big three gaming titans, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, are currently under scrutiny of the UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) branch, with an investigation having been opened in regards to the policies of their online services. According to the official press release, the CMA believes that the three aforementioned companies must be investigated to ensure that UK consumers are protected, and that the subscription services are legal within the country. Though there is no proof at this time that any laws have been broken, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are required to respond to the UK government with information on their respective contracts, so that the CMA can research that the terms are fair. What they appear to be looking for are incidents where customers have had trouble cancelling the services, dealt with numerous price hikes, or were forced into having to turn on auto-renew. Once the investigation concludes, a decision will be made, and either nothing will occur, or the offending party will have action taken against them.

The CMA has written to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation and Xbox requesting information about their online gaming contracts to help better understand their practices. It is also calling on customers who use these services to get in touch with the CMA and share their experiences in order to assist the investigation, which will examine several issues, including:

• are the contract terms unfair? - do the companies’ terms give them wide discretion to change the quality of the deal, for example, by reducing the number of games included or increasing the price?

• how easy it is to cancel or obtain a refund? - are there any factors that make it difficult for people to cancel their contract or get their money back?

• how fair is the auto-renewal process? - are customers clearly told that their membership will be rolled over, are they regularly reminded that they are on a roll-over contract before further payments are taken, and is auto-renewal set as the default option?

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted_413010

microsoft, sony and ninty just act as a middle man in connecting you, afaik all first party ninty games use p23p instead of dedicated servers so even then you aren't paying for server costs.

Except, I'm not aware of Nintendo actually utilizing servers in any of their current online multiplayer titles on the Nintendo Switch. :unsure:

As an actual developer of Nintendo titles (no i'm not saying I work for Nintendo i'm saying I develop titles for their systems) let me tell you they do use their own actual servers for stuff such as matchmaking but you can use your own servers if the developer prefers you just have to file that with Nintendo prior to publishing. Due to a non-disclosure agreement I have with Nintendo I am unable to disclose any information on names and etc relating to how Nintendo's servers operate.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me wonder if CMA is looking at subscribers getting banned? Does this entails on subscribers getting a pro-rated refund back for unused month that cannot be used due to a ban?
Not banned so y'all know.

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I am one of those new developers. So we have 1 title in development currently but a name has not been decided.

I wish you the very best! I don't have my Switch anymore but I remember he HD rumble was so awesome. I remember a small game called Xenodrifter, which I bought (didnt pirate) had this wonderfull rumble when you entered the water! It was so great!

Whatever you do, I hope you remember to implement and use the HD rumble! Cheers!

Awesomekid956000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMFAO
Have you heard pc? gaming on pc is free tho, even they share same server.
The entire story to force people to pay for online is Bullshit
I have to also mention PC gaming can be quite a bit more expensive compared to get into compared to console gaming. Playstation is pushing it with the PS5 prices, but PC gaming is usually around maybe $500 compared to the standard console price of 300, unlike consoles though, the pc is more than capable of upgrading through minor adjustments such as graphics cards and junk. What im trying to say is you're practically owed free online play for how much you gotta dump into it.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have to also mention PC gaming can be quite a bit more expensive compared to get into compared to console gaming. Playstation is pushing it with the PS5 prices, but PC gaming is usually around maybe $500 compared to the standard console price of 300, unlike consoles though, the pc is more than capable of upgrading through minor adjustments such as graphics cards and junk. What im trying to say is you're practically owed free online play for how much you gotta dump into it.

Also, a lot of PC online gaming isn't free and if you play a lot of online games that require servers you are likely to waste more than what Nintendo charges you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If you get a chance to get a Pi5, get it, its like 3 times as fast as the Pi4 for Emu. GameCube and Wii games even play well.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure if it would behoove me, mines that B model with 8GBs of RAM got mine OCed to 2GHz and the only two games I found that might work better N64 Killer Instinct and PSP Motor Storm Arctic Thunder
    +1
    Everything else runs fine
    1500 games and like 4700ish arcade games lol
    What is the best arcade ROM set to use?
    Using .139 and most of the games work.... Was happy to play Konami Devil World yesterday lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do you have the mini radiator cooler? I Jerry rigged a heatsink and 5volt fan from a dead graphics card on mine, but eventually wanna get a real cooler/fan.
    Pure copper heat sink kit and fans
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4