Nintendo possibly upgrading the CPU & storage in the original Switch model, according to report

bundle_color_portable (1).jpg

The Nintendo Switch Lite has just become the latest addition to the Nintendo hardware lineup, offering the ability to play Switch games, but in a smaller form-factor, and for a little less cost. Though we likely won't be seeing a "Switch Pro" any time soon, it appears that Nintendo is looking into making a few tweaks to the existing, original Switch model. Curiously, Nintendo has filed a Class II Permission Change with the United State's FCC, and according to those documents, it appears that the Big N wants to revamp the original Switch, with a slight change to its system-on-chip (SoC) and NAND (flash storage). Filing this claim with the FCC would allow for Nintendo to sell these refreshed consoles, while avoiding the process of re-certification, and being able to keep the hardware refresh under wraps.

As to what this means for the end-user, it might not mean much of anything. On the other hand, some newer components could give a very slight boost to performance, possibly resulting in a system that doesn't run as hot, has faster load times, or maybe has a mild increase in battery life. We won't know anything official until Nintendo confirms it, or someone spots one of these upgraded models out in the wild. It wouldn't be the powerhouse people were hoping for in the rumored Switch Pro model, but with Doug Bowser confirming that the Switch Lite is the only new hardware we'll be seeing from Nintendo this year, it might be the best we can get.

:arrow: Source

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s kidt cheaper to buy the new version of the X1 in bulk than the old one, and it’ll let Nintendo add a lot of new features with an alternate firmware with the extra power. The nvidia shield and the X1 are very old now, no one is ordering millions of units of it anymore except Nintendo.
Tesla cars use X1. Only recently did Elon Musk announce Tesla working with Samsung Texas for their own chips.

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... for the GPD win. Like said before, you could get one main switch, one second hacked switch and a switch lite for that damn price. In no wait does anything weight for the GPD.
And if you read about the games and how they are mostly modded (downsclaing textures etc) then u will see, that its indeed unfair... for the GPD. :P

You seem to be missing the point, you are trying to compare a console to a PC... That's like me walking up to someone in a bicycle and telling them my Toyota Supra goes faster than their bicycle, well of course it does its a Supra vs a Bike they are in two entirely different categories. The ONLY thing similar about the GDP Win and the Switch is that they are portable, and that's where any similarities stop, when you compare two things you pick two like things that serve the same function and compare them, you don't compare a bicycle to a car, or in this case a PC to a Console/Handheld.

Furthermore, someone that's looking for something like the GDP Win isn't going to see the Switch and say "OH THAT FITS MY USE CASE" and visa versa!

Last edited by NightsEkim,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Tesla cars use X1. Only recently did Elon Musk announce Tesla working with Samsung Texas for their own chips.
Tesla hasn't used X1's in their vehicles since October 2016. Anything manufactured after that uses the Tegra X2, not the X1. Nobody really uses the X1 at a mass scale anymore besides Nintendo at this point (not counting the Jetson Nano board thing from Nvidia themselves).

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did this idea even occur to you, one is a 300 quid device, the other is twice that at least. An idea so dumbfounding it completely derailed the thread...

With that attitude, why didn't Nintendo just release a big box running an Intel-7700k with a GTX 1080 and 8GB of RAM? Who cares for portabiity and innovation?

Of course the PC is going to cost more, what are your expectations? To be able to run everything that those devices can (which will require turning settings down, anyone who's used anything up to a $500 laptop will know that not even 7th generation games run at max settings unless it's some completely 2D indie title), you have to account for a lot more for different setups and configurations than what the Switch would when not being hacked.

It's not my fault that people want to get their panties in a twist over yours truly wanting a truly more powerful Switch as opposed to a glorified tablet that misses the whole point of the Switch from the beginning. Sure, it will last a half and hour longer and comes with a d-pad...who cares if you're using a portable battery? Because if you're going on an extended trip, that's what you're gonna need to slow the Switch's battery life from dropping to zero like dropping a heavy rock from the Grand Canyon. D-pad? While I think Nintendo should have bundled a swappable d-pad of some kind for those of us who prefer to use a d-pad on the Switch, it's Nintendo with them not considering every solution or, if they did consider that idea, they thought that, with little shits having the brain size of a Tide Pod in how bored they are to try something out that's clearly soap, they forwent the idea of bundling it with the main system, which would be OK if they sold an accessory of some kind. It'd suck, but I wouldn't have to order shell replacements and some screwdrivers (and possibly some replacement screws) to solve a problem that shouldn't have even existed in the first place, sideway Joy-Cons be damned as they, outside of using gyro for MK8DX, suck to play a game with if you're not a child.

GPD WIN devices always struck me as some of those impressive-but-impractical pieces of hardware that usually outstay their welcome in a month or so. Running modern-ish PC games on a handheld is a fun idea on surface, but battery life is all over the place (especially with that x86 processor), specs are quick to get outdated (which hits PC devices much harder than console ones), and if you break something on this thing, it's going to be a hell to repair. Where Switch can't stand up in specs, it can stand up in just being more usable all around.

Depends on what you want to play with the thing. I personally wouldn't mind playing something on the devices as long as it's within reason. One problem that'd be solved would be being able to theoretically play everything on x86 Windows without having to jump through hoops like what I remember reading people did to play AM2R on the Switch by having the Switch version of Undertale and just having to work around system FW BS in general. I, for one, await the day that I can run CFW on my Switch without having to worry about updates from Nintendo (why not redirect the update path from Nintendo's servers to Atmosphere's on github, with the usual options of waiting for stable updates, betas or nightlies or whatever people call them in 2019, etc.. Just a thought!) and having to rejig everything anytime I want to go do something different. Personally, though, I have expectations that I'd describe as being realistic. IDK everything about how people got things to run on the GPD WIN 1 and 2, but one of these days I might get the damn thing and see what it can do!

Also, if you drop the thing and it breaks, maybe don't be handling portable electronic devices without giving them a case of some kind? I know, shit happens, but that just boils down to knowing what can happen and planning ahead for it!

71r3n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You seem to be missing the point, you are trying to compare a console to a PC... That's like me walking up to someone in a bicycle and telling them my Toyota Supra goes faster than their bicycle, well of course it does its a Supra vs a Bike they are in two entirely different categories. The ONLY thing similar about the GDP Win and the Switch is that they are portable, and that's where any similarities stop, when you compare two things you pick two like things that serve the same function and compare them, you don't compare a bicycle to a car, or in this case a PC to a Console/Handheld.

Furthermore, someone that's looking for something like the GDP Win isn't going to see the Switch and say "OH THAT FITS MY USE CASE" and visa versa!

Plz reread my post. You make it sound like i said the GPD Win is in any way superb to the switch. OMFG learn to read...

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plz reread my post. You make it sound like i said the GPD Win is in any way superb to the switch. OMFG learn to read...

He ain't wrong. The GPD is a very different environment to the Switch. Can you imagine what you could do if you could have unencrypted access to the Switch's filesystem? That's the main difference between a PC and a console, and I know what I for one would love outside of a meaningful hardware upgrade to the Switch. ;)

71r3n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He ain't wrong. The GPD is a very different environment to the Switch. Can you imagine what you could do if you could have unencrypted access to the Switch's filesystem? That's the main difference between a PC and a console, and I know what I for one would love outside of a meaningful hardware upgrade to the Switch. ;)
Yeah, but wasnt that stated before? And wasnt that stated by myself before in this thread? :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

"Learn to read"

-Ignores the main point of my reply entirely-

Kay.

Same answer to you: wasnt that already said by me in this thread? I said you cant compare them. Read through the whole thread, before you reply to only one comment out of many on this thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Plz slap me with facts, but GPD cant be compared to switch.
1. No native support.
2. Just check the skyrim videos and check the comments. Ppl play it with moddet textures, so they get playable framerates. (EDIT: Wasnt on the MAX, but the MAX isnt out jet, so...)
3. It needs way to much resources for the OS.

Dont get me wrong, i realy like the idea of a GPD and if i had the extra cash, i already would own one. Only its formfactor is a bit comparable.
But give a normal console player a GPD win, and hes propably gets frustrated within the first month. We here on gbatemp are the nerds, the geeks, the neets and so on, we know our electric shit. :D

Last Edit: Holy shit, screw GPD. Getting myself a switch lite, a second switch 1, and a futore pro switch for that price thou....
https://www.amazon.de/GamePad-Digital-GPD-Win-128/dp/B07DSBGYK9

It got 899$ problems.... but the bitch aint one.... :D

Here guys you have the quote...

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they increasing the battery life with this or itll be decreased even more?
Mariko is more power efficient, which would save battery. But they're also decreasing the battery capacity, likely to make it so that the new systems have the same battery life as the old ones as well as to reduce costs

D

Deleted User

Compared to a stock switch the gpd is “nifty” but overpriced. Compared to a hacked switch it is a waste of money. It just is. It should have never been brought up. Period. I think that sometimes when a device comes out it is cool to remind people of a better option sure. But it HAS to be better. And well it just isn’t. For so many reasons. Partly cause of price. Partly cause the scene is giving us so many cool and unique things to do with the switch when hacked. Even not hacked the library without homebrew is still incredibly strong. If the switch gets stadia you basically 100% wasted your money and the switch might just get stadia!

Which brings me to my next point. There is a recent forbes article that claimed the lcd panel in switch lite is going to be 1080p handheld. Well if that is true that is in fact a significant upgrade. The same article also talks about stadia. So the switch lite could definitely be a GPD killer (is it even alive what are sales like?)...

Also discussion is cool. Insults are not. The site so toxic toxic...

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Nintendo Switch Lite has just become the latest addition to the Nintendo hardware lineup, offering the ability to play Switch games, but in a smaller form-factor, and for a little less cost. Though we likely won't be seeing a "Switch Pro" any time soon, it appears that Nintendo is looking into making a few tweaks to the existing, original Switch model. Curiously, Nintendo has filed a Class II Permission Change with the United State's FCC, and according to those documents, it appears that the Big N wants to revamp the original Switch, with a slight change to its system-on-chip (SoC) and NAND (flash storage). Filing this claim with the FCC would allow for Nintendo to sell these refreshed consoles, while avoiding the process of re-certification, and being able to keep the hardware refresh under wraps.

As to what this means for the end-user, it might not mean much of anything. On the other hand, some newer components could give a very slight boost to performance, possibly resulting in a system that doesn't run as hot, has faster load times, or maybe has a mild increase in battery life. We won't know anything official until Nintendo confirms it, or someone spots one of these upgraded models out in the wild. It wouldn't be the powerhouse people were hoping for in the rumored Switch Pro model, but with Doug Bowser confirming that the Switch Lite is the only new hardware we'll be seeing from Nintendo this year, it might be the best we can get.

:arrow: Source
Very interesting, this means that this is probable what the wall street journal was talking about, but also that a "real" switch upgrade is also being made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c95QJXRKdIw&pp=ygUdcmFtYm8gMiBtaXNzaW9uIGFjY29tcGxpc2hlZCA%3D