Homebrew Nintendo releases 11.17.0-50

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This update came outta nowhere.. and i got to agree, patching bannerbomb3 was a real dick move by Nintendo. Considering they aren't/ won't be making any money from the system.
Atleast ntrboot is still an option, and only 'cause they couldn't patch it..

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing this news made me say out loud, "Ugh, REALLY?"

I don't intend to go online with any games, but FTPD is still useful. Are there instructions to setup Internet settings to point away from Nintendo's servers or something? I want to avoid future updates out of principle if I can help it, even if Luma can handle them.

Reactions: Mike_77712

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't intend to go online with any games, but FTPD is still useful. Are there instructions to setup Internet settings to point away from Nintendo's servers or something? I want to avoid future updates out of principle if I can help it, even if Luma can handle them.
I think i read somewhere here about a way to disable the update nag, but i don't know how personally. As i never encountered the update nag (even if i was on lower fw) that much for it to become a problem for me.

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You could block internet access entirely to the console if all you care about is local connectivity

dada78641

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's kind of interesting that they released it now, after the eShop has been closed. I guess they decided this would be the most effective time to patch as much as they could, since now the options are the most limited and the homebrew scene is at its least active.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's kind of interesting that they released it now, after the eShop has been closed. I guess they decided this would be the most effective time to patch as much as they could, since now the options are the most limited and the homebrew scene is at its least active.
That, or they were already sitting on the capability but wanted to wait until they were definitely not making any more money before dropping it. God knows why though. If anything they might have encouraged more legal buying by doing it before the closure.

Though they're probably aware that eshop access was a boon to the hacking community so they wanted to take that out first before trying to collapse the tunnel behind them.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
kartdlphax confirmed work on JPN. (Someone said it failed at an USA console)

4swordshax + B9STool 7.0.0 confirmed work on JPN (but initializing FAT take 20 seconds which is much longer than 11.16).

Last edited by MelonGx,

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, noooo! Sorry, I have to get really vulgar this time.

Screw you, Nintendo! After years – while the 3DS was in active support – you did not try to close the holes. Now that you pulled the plug from eShop (and legally buying games is no more), you decided to come by for a visit and :shit: shit :shit: on the carpet of the homebrew community.
woman-facepalming_1f926-200d-2640-fe0f.png
man-facepalming_1f926-200d-2642-fe0f.png

There can't be a financial motivation. Just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

=========
Incoming "I accidentally updated"-topics expected.

To all developers and reverse engineers: Thank you for your awesome work on making the 3DS better. Hopefully somebody still has some entrypoint in the drawer.

Or, hear me out, Nintendo wants no easy method to have 3ds or Wii U games. They just want people to buy a Switch because that's the main money maker. Why let people have fun on a last gen system? It's not like one of their main competitors has their Wii Era console's shop still open.

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh, noooo! Sorry, I have to get really vulgar this time.

Screw you, Nintendo! After years – while the 3DS was in active support – you did not try to close the holes. Now that you pulled the plug from eShop (and legally buying games is no more), you decided to come by for a visit and :shit: shit :shit: on the carpet of the homebrew community.

There can't be a financial motivation. Just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

=========
Incoming "I accidentally updated"-topics expected.

To all developers and reverse engineers: Thank you for your awesome work on making the 3DS better. Hopefully somebody still has some entrypoint in the drawer.

I wouldn't be surprised if higher-ups pressured the devs to do this because of the whole "It's easy to mod your 3DS" campaign on social media

Maybe them knowing about the whole campaign (people even tagged them on it) and not doing something about it could set some kind of legal precedent

Or maybe they think modded 3DSs are competition for the Switch and since they can't make any money with the hardware, are trying to kill it

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Or, hear me out, Nintendo wants no easy method to have 3ds or Wii U games. They just want people to buy a Switch because that's the main money maker. Why let people have fun on a last gen system? It's not like one of their main competitors has their Wii Era console's shop still open.
So you expect a similar update or the Wii U? And maybe the enhanced security demanding a legit ticket before download to kill off any third-party downloaders?

Are the 3DS and Wii U competitors for the Switch? In a world where the majority screams "New, new, new!"?
People buy the new stuff anyway. Look at the sales figures of the latest Zelda game. Only a small minority of gaming interested people thinks twice before throwing money into Nintendo.

Following the logic that homebrew (or specifically the omnipresent abuse of homebrew for piracy) on old consoles harms the sales of games on new consoles,... they would be in big trouble: A low-end PC will emulate tens of thousands of old games, more than anybody can play in their life. Except for: They are not in trouble and people buy new stuff like mad regardless. Newer=better

A few enthusiasts tinkering with their outdated consoles make no notable impact... But: Yes, because of behavior like this I never bought a Switch and ignore the gaming industry as such nowadays.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wonder if they fixed the crash when trying to buy DLC in Mii Plaza? At least that would be "useful".

US region temporarily won't work because only US home menu was updated. that's just a matter of me updating offsets for US otherapp.bin (and the corresponding browserhax ropbin).
So there will be a new otherapp.bin? The 11.7 one certainly had a good run. Strange that they would only update the US menu.

I suppose that means freakyhax will still work – but ninjhax will require someone to make new QR codes. And oot3dhax and stickerhax will still work – but installing oot3dhax with Powersaves will also require someone to make new save data.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: zfreeman

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Last edited by Alexander1970,
  • Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

XRTerra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you expect a similar update or the Wii U? And maybe the enhanced security demanding a legit ticket before download to kill off any third-party downloaders?

Are the 3DS and Wii U competitors for the Switch? In a world where the majority screams "New, new, new!"?
People buy the new stuff anyway. Look at the sales figures of the latest Zelda game. Only a small minority of gaming interested people thinks twice before throwing money into Nintendo.

Following the logic that homebrew (or specifically the omnipresent abuse of homebrew for piracy) on old consoles harms the sales of games on new consoles,... they would be in big trouble: A low-end PC will emulate tens of thousands of old games, more than anybody can play in their life. Except for: They are not in trouble and people buy new stuff like mad regardless. Newer=better

A few enthusiasts tinkering with their outdated consoles make no notable impact... But: Yes, because of behavior like this I never bought a Switch and ignore the gaming industry as such nowadays.

They probably won't do a Wii U update just yet, but I don't doubt once they do one it might mess with current Wii U cfw installation options and perhaps even the nshop(that's what I call it, I just don't want to get killed by the mods)

To Nintendo? Probably not. But then again, it's Nintendo. Clearly they didn't even have to shutdown the eShop in the first place because Sony didn't(because bullying works, but Nintendo fans don't want to risk losing the smell of Nintendo's left pinky toe to even consider calling them out for anything).

And yeah, it really doesn't make an impact and never has. Nintendo already made all of the money they wanted to from the 3ds and Wii U despite the fact you can still get a brand new N2dsXL at some stores. But if somebody wants to own all the n64 games they want digitally instead of paying $50 a year, that's bad from Nintendo's pov.

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I legitimately saw discussions about this around the time of the PS4 release.

The point at the time was that the PS3 dominated emerging markets, the consumer saw much more value in buying an modded old PS3 than investing in a PS4.

I thought it would be the same case with the 3DS, much more value for an modded 3DS than a locked Switch Lite, but whilst discussing it with a friend we realized that you can't find a 3DS for sale anywhere

Is this because Nintendo pulled the plug while there still was demand for the 3DS or did they recall units from stores?

It's really weird, lots of Wii Us, Wiis and DSs, but just a few 3DSs, the New 3DS is even more rare

You only find refurbished 3DSs coming from china on sites like Aliexpress

XRTerra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I legitimately saw discussions about this around the time of the PS4 release.

The point at the time was that the PS3 dominated emerging markets, the consumer saw much more value in buying an modded old PS3 than investing in a PS4.

I thought it would be the same case with the 3DS, much more value for an modded 3DS than a locked Switch Lite, but whilst discussing it with a friend we realized that you can't find a 3DS for sale anywhere

Is this because Nintendo pulled the plug while there still was demand for the 3DS or did they recall units from stores?

It's really weird, lots of Wii Us, Wiis and DSs, but just a few 3DSs, the New 3DS is even more rare

You only find refurbished 3DSs coming from china on sites like Aliexpress

I can find 3DSs with a quick search, for example here's ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=3ds&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313

They're definitely not rare, infact quite a good amount of those listings are n3ds.

If you're talking about major retailer wise, there's barely any. You pretty much have to get lucky and find one at a super market.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
(Surely they didn't patch ntrboot, though?)
They cannot patch ntrboot through a software update, it's a hardware exploit. Nintendo would have to start selling units with a new bootrom, something that's very unlikely.

Reactions: Alexander1970

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can find 3DSs with a quick search, for example here's ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=3ds&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313

They're definitely not rare, infact quite a good amount of those listings are n3ds.

If you're talking about major retailer wise, there's barely any. You pretty much have to get lucky and find one at a super market.
I was thinking more about retro, refurbished and used game stores.

It's like there is no old stock to sell, they either sold out or were sent back to Nintendo or something

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Juan's new years I forgot +1