Nintendo Resuming Let's Play Takedowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dork

Based Nintendo, killing off the Let's Play cancer and preventing others from monetizing copyrighted material.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More than Nintendo or Youtube, it's Google the one taking down all the Videos. The system is automatic, no humans involved. You can't blame nintendo on that one. All video games companies started to say that they did not requested videos to get deleted, it a Google initiative.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I understood it was not even as much google/youtube as much as some music companies that wanted their songs flagged when included in youtube videos. I'd assume google only added their songs to the filter per their request and since people put some background music in their videos OR even the video game company contracted the wrong/overly-picky company to write their music for them or just to redistribute the soundtrack, THOSE companies are now flagging every video/game that has "their" music in it.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copyright laws are a joke, should be abolished and replaced with something made from the ground up to be sensible so shit like this doesn't ever happen.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They shouldn't be doing this without our consent, YouTube is run by retards, plain and simple. The videos fall under fair use last I checked but I could be wrong; I mean, it's basically free advertising. Not to mention the companies aren't even against people doing it, but Google is trying to be this internet Gestapo if you will.

Reactions: calmwaters

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've said it before, I'll say it again: if it's not making Youtube/Google money, it's getting taken down. No ifs, ands, or butts about it. And the sad thing is that people don't care about this. This is why they can get away with it. :(

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've said it before, I'll say it again: if it's not making Youtube/Google money, it's getting taken down. No ifs, ands, or butts about it. And the sad thing is that people don't care about this. This is why they can get away with it. :(

And that's why I think the system is flawed, broken, convoluted and needs to be rewritten. Luckily, my videos haven't been taken down as of yet, I might make a video just to solely express my hatred on YouTube's content ID detection, just to see what happens :creep: If this keeps up, I might have to upload videos on *shudder* DailyMotion or Vimeo. People should care enough to do something about it, but like you said, many don't. The thing is, what can we, those who upload, do about it? The companies' stance on the legality of uploading videos should supersede what Google says and does since it's not Google's content.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that's why I think the system is flawed, broken, convoluted and needs to be rewritten. Luckily, my videos haven't been taken down as of yet, I might make a video just to solely express my hatred on YouTube's content ID detection, just to see what happens :creep: If this keeps up, I might have to upload videos on *shudder* DailyMotion or Vimeo. People should care enough to do something about it, but like you said, many don't. The thing is, what can we, those who upload, do about it? The companies' stance on the legality of uploading videos should supersede what Google says and does since it's not Google's content.

Oh my god; Gamerspawn closed their Youtube account. They had 3 million subscribers if I remember correctly. You should do that; we need as many videos as possible declaring our hatred of Youtube.

Um, is this "Nintendo removing 'let's play' videos on Youtube" thread into a generic Youtube hate thread? I think it is.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something something Jewtube, yada yada Goygle, etc. etc. Nintendosh.

Throw on a jacket, fellas, 'cause I just hit cruise control for cool.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something something Jewtube, yada yada Goygle, etc. etc. Nintendosh.

Throw on a jacket, fellas, 'cause I just hit cruise control for cool.

Can I squeeze your tight leather jacket/pants before you take off again? Puh-lease? It won't hurt and I won't do anything suggestive. Promise.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Sweet! Finally the death of "lets-plays" the most pointless 'section' of YouTube
Hope other companies follow this!
Cmon' Microsoft!
Cmon' Sony!
Cmon' (Insert Indie Dev)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet! Finally the death of "lets-plays" the most pointless 'section' of YouTube
Hope other companies follow this!
Cmon' Microsoft!
Cmon' Sony!
Cmon' (Insert Indie Dev)

Are you shitting me? No, the most pointless part of YT would be the stupid pop music videos with more than 10,000,000 views, but that's another thread. Not all let's-play videos are bad. And besides, why would you be in favor of Google's Nazi algorithm? It flags videos that don't even violate any laws.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you shitting me? No, the most pointless part of YT would be the stupid pop music videos with more than 10,000,000 views, but that's another thread. Not all let's-play videos are bad. And besides, why would you be in favor of Google's Nazi algorithm? It flags videos that don't even violate any laws.

Just today, I said there was a troll population on here. Didn't think I'd see an example of it this soon.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just today, I said there was a troll population on here. Didn't think I'd see an example of it this soon.

Well, it was to be expected sooner or later. It's like getting gastroenteritis (stomach flu) from improperly cooked food, it's inevitable as it happens to everyone at one point or another.

Reactions: calmwaters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...guys? What is this thread doing in the "user submitted news"? So a youtube video is taken down...but that in itself doesn't prove anything. Which is proven by all this "it is nintendo! no it is youtube! no it is google!* No it is the law!" predictions going around.

There is no source, which means this is not news. Which makes it in the wrong topic.

I notice a lot of people saying "This is YouTube, not Nintendo".

Would it help if I said that I disputed the claim, Nintendo reinstated, then I redisputed, and Nintendo struck back again?
Yes. It would help if you post the communications going back and forth, and put it in the OP. You make it sound like nintendo owns youtube and kick your video (or videos) for no reason whatsoever. And I find that hard to believe.

*I'm aware that youtube is owned by google. But that doesn't mean they are automatically calling the shots

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Erm... regarding this whole "youtube is taking down the videos": technically that's correct, they have enabled a new iteration/generation/version/whatever of their content match system, which marks every video as copyright infringement that it identifies.

But (and oh boy what a big but it is (honestly no pun intended)): this system checks every video against a database of claimed copyright samples, which are provided by the copyright holders. videos that contain these samples are flagged (kinda like a malware scanner). so if someone representing ninty uploads let's say the cutscenes and soundtrack of a donkey kong game to this content match database and a let's play/speedrun/whatever video gets automagically[sic] flagged: who's fault is it really?

I say Nintys because they provided the samples, thus ordering youtube/google to check the videos for them and flag them if they match.

edit: just found a nice glove and boots video regarding this:

oh and the name of youtubes automatch system is "Content ID" in case you want to read more about it

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good job, Nintendo. Please carry on taking down videos that are entirely free advertisement and spiting your audience. :)

What's the point if they'll be taken down anyways? ;)

fucking POS google is just as much to blame ,if not more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...