Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

Entity3031751

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org
Dang, that's sad
Post automatically merged:

Dang, that's sad
DMCA 😡

Nakamichi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why not host it in russia and be over and done with it?
let them send as many angry emails as they want, whats the point if its hosted in a country where any and all piracy (or perceived piracy) is legal anyway?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not host it in russia and be over and done with it?
let them send as many angry emails as they want, whats the point if its hosted in a country where any and all piracy (or perceived piracy) is legal anyway?
nintendo could pressure the US gov to get involved by telling ISP's to ban russian sites and vpn's but that seems more of a trump admin thing rather than a biden (not going down the political road but that could be a responce it's called lobbying here I'm just glad SOPA (Stop online piracy act) was avoided last time

Nakamichi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nintendo could pressure the US gov to get involved by telling ISP's to ban russian sites and vpn's but that seems more of a trump admin thing rather than a biden (not going down the political road but that could be a responce it's called lobbying here I'm just glad SOPA (Stop online piracy act) was avoided last time
gotta admit tho, not the worst idea ever.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo shouldn't be able to reach the homebrew devs to send a DMCA. There should be no addresses or details for DMCA to be sent to

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
:wtf:
*inhales*-.. *SIGH!*

Okay, Nintendo clearly aren't stopping... they seem to be fueled up after their recent "wins". I guess we will eventually start to see a darknet ecosystem for distribution of much (most? all?) homebrew tools. And anecdotally: yesterday I needed to emulate a 3ds for completely legal reasons (checking pointer tagging for a runtime/vm I'm developing) and suddenly remembered citra had being recently taken down. Good thing the internet archive was around to save the day, but I wonder how long until Nintendo sends THEM a DMCA notice? We live in a weird world.

Which is why we need to pirate to actually have ownership.
View attachment 425945
YES! There is so much truth to this!!! Nintendo themselves have already proven this by shutting down online services for old consoles. People have paid money for digital titles which will later be taken away from them, simply by the will of Nintendo. Clearly they did not own those titles.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will bet you this has all been ramping up because of switch 2, and I mean that I'm guessing that switch 2 will just be a beefed up switch and new games will be playable on the original and they don't want them to be pirated.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will bet you this has all been ramping up because of switch 2, and I mean that I'm guessing that switch 2 will just be a beefed up switch and new games will be playable on the original and they don't want them to be pirated.
It is the Switch's final year and console sales have slowed down significantly, so of course they want to maximize as much profit as they can before they announce and release their next console that's been rumored for ages now.

Reactions: Ligeia

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
i wonder what they are protecting though...
i mean realistically, they are the biggest sellers in the market, nothing can top their sales. so...why tf ruin the fun for the pooor?!
its just baffling. only logical explanation would be "they are dicks".

It is the Switch's final year and console sales have slowed down significantly, so of course they want to maximize as much profit as they can before they announce and release their next console that's been rumored for ages now.
nothing ishindering their profit, thats the thing.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i wonder what they are protecting though...
i mean realistically, they are the biggest sellers in the market, nothing can top their sales. so...why tf ruin the fun for the pooor?!
its just baffling. only logical explanation would be "they are dicks".

nothing ishindering their profit, thats the thing.
To quote Stephanie Sterling: they don't just want money, they want all the fucking money that has ever existed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...