Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i wonder what they are protecting though...
i mean realistically, they are the biggest sellers in the market, nothing can top their sales. so...why tf ruin the fun for the pooor?!
its just baffling. only logical explanation would be "they are dicks".
they just want to control everything it's what their culture does

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask the house for a bill for Nintendo to divest or get ban in six months. Biden will probably sign it if it comes to him. Surely there will be less protest for this one than tick-tok ban. Maybe Japanese government won't stop the sale so no ban.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
they just want to control everything it's what their culture does
isnt buthism about learning you cant controll everything and you should adapt instead and be calm and breathe?
nintendo needs to breathe and relaxs, for real.
Post automatically merged:

To quote Stephanie Sterling: they don't just want money, they want all the fucking money that has ever existed
well i have a bad news for them... poor nintendo

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo, you are so done. Bye bye, Nintendo! I hope Nintendo is gone bankrupt and be extinct soon so Sony can buy Nintendo!
:rofl:

I hope you're being sarcastic. you dropped your "/s"

If not...hoooollly shit you are jaded. Too many Nintendrones to keep them afloat. Just look how they are seething with Palworld ready to come to their aid like Nintendo is their fucking daddy or something.

Nintendo really is the Apple of the video game world.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at how Mario Soccer and Switch Sports turned out, I'm not too excited for Switch 2.

And yeah, I know those are sports games, but Nintendo in the past did a solid job although for the Switch it was a disappointment.

You aren't excite to have a reported, report of remastered, reported report?

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also not excited for the so called Switch 2 either. They're just rumors... Of frocking course. I really stopped watching YouTube because of that. I believe it when Nintendo officially announces it. Rumors and leaks has to stop.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also not excited for the so called Switch 2 either. They're just rumors... Of frocking course. I really stopped watching YouTube because of that. I believe it when Nintendo officially announces it. Rumors and leaks has to stop.
I'd be surprised if Nintendo still kept using Switch by 2025 considering how old the tech is. MK1 had to be downgraded to be playable on that tablet.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be surprised if Nintendo still kept using Switch by 2025 considering how old the tech is. MK1 had to be downgraded to be playable on that tablet.
I'm not surprised. Ofcourse Nintendo is known to use old tech or low specs tech. Rumors are still rumors, and those rumors are still going on for years not to forget. I wouldn't be surprised at all when and if we ever see a new system maybe even by the year of 2027 or even 2030. The Switch is doing too well.

But they actually have to come up with a new system for the simple reason that's hacked to death already. But they rather do DMCA's anyway.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there's a switch 2 and it has backwards compatibility with the switch that's why they waited until now to dmca all the switch hacks. it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
there's a switch 2 and it has backwards compatibility with the switch that's why they waited until now to dmca all the switch hacks. it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together.
Nah I think the last straw was switch games being played on Android phones. Why DMCA because of supposed backwards compatibility when switch games right now are being emulated?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah I think the last straw was switch games being played on Android phones. Why DMCA because of supposed backwards compatibility when switch games right now are being emulated?
Consoles:
SNES was GB BC (with the Super Game Boy adapter)
GCN was GB/GBC/GBA BC (with the Game Boy Player attachment)
Wii was GCN BC
Wii U was Wii/GCN BC (via hacking)

Handhelds:
GB Color was GB BC
GBA was GBC/GB BC
NDS was GBA BC
NDS Lite was GBA BC
3DS was NDS BC

Switch err... Nothing

The next Switch better at least be compatible with old Switch carts.

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Safe to say Nintendo are gearing up to release their next piece of hardware. Will be mediocre outdated hardware just like the Switch. The next Nintendo gaming device will have worse native performance than a Switch emulator on a mid range PC running 4k 60fps.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Safe to say Nintendo are gearing up to release their next piece of hardware. Will be mediocre outdated hardware just like the Switch. The next Nintendo gaming device will have worse native performance than a Switch emulator on a mid range PC running 4k 60fps.
"Switch 2" is my last hope that Nintendo will release Mario Kart 9 as I've been waiting for years and I'm god damn tired of Mario Kart 8.

Nintendo better not re-release Mario Kart 8 again as that would just be f*ckin' annoying, but they probably will as it'll still sell well.

Also, I'm interested in Mario Odyssey 2 and that better not have DLC packs as it's the standard these days.

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amen. :grog:
As soon as Prime 4 gets released, I'm done with anything Nintendo going forward.
A Steam Deck or a proper gaming PC will do it from there on, they completely lost a customer here.

The only way I'd see myself going back to purchasing their shit is if they open a Steam-like store front where you can actually do a one-and-done purchase for the ROM/ISO files themselves of their games, so you can play them outside of shitty Nintendo hardware. I'm sick and tired of them forcing you into their hardware to play the games. Until then, they'll get nothing out of me anymore.

Imagine if movies or music were locked to a certain hardware, absolutely insane, videogames should not have an exemption to that, the customer is allowed to enjoy what they purchased anywhere they see fit, not how the multi-billion corpo wants you to.
First of, a very obligatory reaction clip because "I'm not buying from x anymore" is yet another meme to add next to such classics such as "Let's just do Piracy!" and "They'll never take our mirrored reuploads!"

Back during the absolute clownshow that was when the Dolphin team tried to get thier emulator on Steam, while browsing what others though outside of the major social media networks and gbatemp (think something like Hacker News for example), there was a particular comment left by someone that I once saved since made me ponder the ol' orb.

"Stop simping for a company that clearly fucking hates you. I've stopped feeling sorry for nintendrones that keep getting sued and screwed over by nintendo over and over again.

I felt sorry the first time, the second time, the third time, the fourth time, fifth time and the sixth time, etc, but at this point anyone that still tries to do this shit and gets fucked over is clearly asking for it.

Nintendo has spent the past decades making abundantly fucking clear beyond a shadow of a doubt what their policy on this shit to the point where I don't blame it anymore because even the rocks are aware by now, but ******* still go "ITS OK MUH NOSTALGIA WILL SHIELD ME FROM A LAWSUIT THIS TIME SURELY".

I'm not even against piracy and I think digital preservation is a good cause, but holy shit ******* get a clue already. The games aren't even that fucking good."

Looking at how the DMCAs from Nintendo since that one has come from the same basic reason, it makes you wonder why dispite it being very blatent that Nintendo absolutely hates people who do things like emulation or the hacking of thier consoles (alongside the consumers who benefit from it due to knowing about it) and are this willing to do anything they legally can (especally since they still have that estimated $9 billion in investment funding lying arround in thier back pockets, which they still haven't used) and the open secret that Homebrew and Emulation has a not so biased focus on Nintendo's consoles and by extention the products.

It makes you wonder why there are people who still bother investing thier time into something that will get struck down inevitibly instead of something that will both last longer and be far more impactful as far as Open-Source software goes.

Whatever Nintendo's Next console is, no matter the specs or if it becomes a smash hit or becomes the next Wii U in terms of sales, it will absolutely be a test for the people who like hacking consoles or emulating the latest and greatest consoles they can get working on PC can keep thier hands away from doing that becuase Nintendo will double down on thier current efforts to keep emulation and homebrew from thier actual consumerbase (Parents, Children, and the Nintendrones that live and breathe the brand).

If the people who Nintendo would target if they try and start work on any new emulator or way to get CFW into the next console fail to keep away, it'll only blow a hole in the console hacking space purely becuase of the big Nintendo console to make homebrew for will be mostly off-limits besides people who know how to actually use software or file sharing sites that allow for annonmitity such as croc to send the console exploits or emulators without painting a target on themselves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...