Nintendo Swapnote shutdown world-wide

D

Dork

"Is going to" being the keyword here. It hasn't been introduced yet, so we can't speak of any replacing taking place - a feature is taken away with nothing in exchange for it.

We are still guaranteed it non the less. To cut support immediately after an incident like this is silly and could of been handled better, but with a new and improved system coming around the corner, why waste resources on improving something that will die very soon.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We are still guaranteed it non the less. To cut support immediately after an incident like this is silly and could of been handled better, but with a new and improved system coming around the corner, why waste resources on improving something that will die very soon.

Maybe because they're leaving their customers with virtually no means of communicating with other 3DS owners. Last time I checked it was 2013, it's sort of an unacceptable scenario in this day and age.

Reactions: TripleSMoon
D

Dork

Maybe because they're leaving their customers with virtually no means of communicating with other owners of the same system. Last time I checked it was 2013, it's sort of an unacceptable scenario in this day and age.

Than I guess communication will be down for a while, and that's a shame.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Than I guess communication will be down for a while, and that's a shame.

It is indeed, hence the criticism. :)

Don't get me wrong - the situation is definitely severe and there sure as hell should've been more supervision involved, and as I've mentioned earlier, not necessarily on Nintendo's part. I definitely wouldn't want some moderation team to browse through my personal mail, it's really only the sender's and the recipient's business... hence I can only advocate more rigorous parental controls like I have earlier.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, it isn't.

This applies to every online service in the history of ever, from basic chatrooms to advanced structures like Facebook, this is the Internet and parents have to be aware of this. Nintendo had *one* job - explain to the users how Parental Controls work and how to allow their kids to only contact those people who are a part of the Friends List which should be approved by the parents. All this amounts to is shifting the blame from the parents who use the 3DS as a babysitter with no supervision at all to the company which hasn't done anything wrong. Now, instead of finding a solution to the problem, they choose to shut the whole service down because that's infinitely easier than introducing new security/monitoring/reporting protocols.
Of course, but Nintendo's online services are going to be a lot more vulnerable to this kind of thing because they're crowded with kids and are an easy target.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
No, it isn't.

This applies to every online service in the history of ever, from basic chatrooms to advanced structures like Facebook, this is the Internet and parents have to be aware of this. Nintendo had *one* job - explain to the users how Parental Controls work and how to allow their kids to only contact those people who are a part of the Friends List which should be approved by the parents. All this amounts to is shifting the blame from the parents who use the 3DS as a babysitter with no supervision at all to the company which hasn't done anything wrong. Now, instead of finding a solution to the problem, they choose to shut the whole service down because that's infinitely easier than introducing new security/monitoring/reporting protocols.
Honest question: are you a parent?

As someone who is, and who has also been somewhat mischievous as a child I can tell you that some kids will just find a way to do what they want to do. Curiosity drives them, it's not difficult to get around parental controls and the like. It's not always about negligence either some people prefer to actually spend quality time with their children when they can,
and let the kids play video games while they're busy doing chores or cooking or whatever. I can partially sympathise: last place you'd expect this kind of thing is on your kid's "game boy". Of course, as a parent I take plenty of preventative measures, but I remember being a child myself and I did plenty of things (not like this, mind you) that my parents would not have been happy about.

I also haven't seen anybody blaming Nintendo. I think if that were the case, we would have heard about all this before the service was shut down. They took a course of action they deemed appropriate, I don't see any evidence of them being pressured into it. This isn't taking a feature away either, it's retiring a service. Features are implicitly permanent, services are not. Just like how your email provider can shut down at any moment.

Reactions: NEP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a PR move... I can see it.

As a measured/considered response to a situation... nope, way into overreaction territory.

I am drawn to wonder if this with hold back on Nintendo's already barely existing desire to do anything online remotely close to properly. However I will probably be opting for the less than brilliant standpoint of "meh, not like it is going to trouble" for barring a serious u turn in Nintendo's policies (and given android and co have stepped in there I doubt it could happen) I am out from current Nintendo things and will probably look in at the end of the system's lifetime anyway.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, Nintendo, I appreciate the thought, but you can't just go "Scorched Earth!" every time shit like this happens.

Honestly, this seems more lazy than anything else.

"Hey, so a few shitheads abused our service, and I feel really bad about it. I think we should do something about it. I mean, I know we're not in any way responsible for this, but..."
"No, no, no, I get what you're saying. You're right. We should do something. But what?"
"Well, we could reach out to our users and try to emphasize and explain our existing safety features. Make sure the parents understand."
"Eh, that requires communication and outreach, and those things scare me."
"Well, alright. Maybe we could rework the existing system and improve the service. Tighten up the security or something, you know?"
"But that's work."
"Hm, you're right. Well, we could just take the whole service down and leave our customers without any alternative whatsoever until we eventually get around to bringing the Miiverse features over. No more problem!"
"Wow, dude. We don't even have to respect or trust our customers at all!"
"Exactly!"
"Man, we sure are geniuses, aren't we?"
"I wish. We're just too strawmen that Gahars is using to make a cheap point. I mean, have you ever noticed how we don't sound anything like Japanese businessmen?"
"Shit, man, you're not supposed to actually say that!"
"Oh, fuck, I didn't mea

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You know, Nintendo, I appreciate the thought, but you can't just go "Scorched Earth!" every time shit like this happens.

Honestly, this seems more lazy than anything else.
Then you have a fucked up point of view. SwapNote is one of hundreds of forms of communication, and a small one at that. Are you really fine with the thought of predators seeking out children and not only exploiting their innocence, but also likely traumatizing them for life once they understand what has actually happened, all because you want to use something like email?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Then you have a fucked up point of view. SwapNote is one of hundreds of forms of communication, and a small one at that. Are you really fine with the thought of predators seeking out children and not only exploiting their innocence, but also likely traumatizing them for life once they understand what has actually happened, all because you want to use something like email?

If anything, I'd say your view is fucked up. Just because someone doesn't agree with the orbital nuke approach, it doesn't mean they are frolicking in the tulips with pedophiles and rapists. It's not an all or nothing situation.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd tell you to get off your high horse, but I'm afraid the fall might kill you.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
What was wrong with my statement? By all means feel free to explain why you think the chat service designed solely for recreation is worth the sexual abuse of children.

Keep up the good work. I heard FOX news is scouting for talent again.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was wrong with my statement? By all means feel free to explain why you think the chat service designed solely for recreation is worth the sexual abuse of children.

Simple. Because at the core, all messenger and communication services are created for that. SMS texting, video calling, web cameras, phones themselves. You realize that it's pretty easy to get a kids' phone number online and have them text you, right? If it's this easy to do over Swapnote? What, should we just blanket kill the entire worlds cellular networks simply because it can be abused?

Everything and anything will be abused. No matter what. Just like this site could be. This very site. Your statement is false, and in my opinion, stupid as hell. Sexual abuse of children can come from absolutely every form of communication, right down to our basic speaking and visual communication.

All you can do is try to control it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sorry that I believe that a company should act in a rational, measured manner. I'm sincerely sorry for thinking a company should respect and trust its customers. I'm sorry that I only advocated for Nintendo to openly communicate with its player base and/or make improvements to its service. I'm sorry that I understand that any form of communication, from Swapnote to smoke signals, can be exploited, and that dismantling a service on that basis alone is absolutely ludicrous. I'm sorry for not being swept up in blind alarmism. I'm sorry I'm not you.

Evidently, all of the above means I support pedophilia. This is very much a shock to me, but, well, that's what I get for trying to think in a situation like this.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Simple. Because at the core, all messenger and communication services are created for that. SMS texting, video calling, web cameras, phones themselves. You realize that it's pretty easy to get a kids' phone number online and have them text you, right? If it's this easy to do over Swapnote? What, should we just blanket kill the entire worlds cellular networks simply because it can be abused?

Everything and anything will be abused. No matter what. Just like this site could be. This very site. Your statement is false, and in my opinion, stupid as hell. Sexual abuse of children can come from absolutely every form of communication, right down to our basic speaking and visual communication.

All you can do is try to control it.
This isn't used for business and nothing depends on it. It's not like shutting down phones.

SwapNote is also very different from most forms of communication. The 3DS is mainly used by children, it's already got a built in camera, and there was no way to monitor who used the SwapNote service. It hadn't crossed my mind before these incidents, but that makes it SOOOOOOOOOO much easier for online predators.

Another issue is that they can't even filter out messages by keywords, since everything is drawn.

I'm sorry that I believe that a company should act in a rational, measured manner. I'm sincerely sorry for thinking a company should respect and trust its customers. I'm sorry that I only advocated for Nintendo to openly communicate with its player base and/or make improvements to its service. I'm sorry that I understand that any form of communication, from Swapnote to smoke signals, can be exploited, and that dismantling a service on that basis alone is absolutely ludicrous. I'm sorry for not being swept up in blind alarmism. I'm sorry I'm not you.

Evidently, all of the above means I support pedophilia. This is very much a shock to me, but, well, that's what I get for trying to think in a situation like this.
Don't pull that crap, I didn't say any of those things and you know it.

The problem is that SwapNote's system is extremely flawed. If they had another form of chat where it wasn't completely unfiltered, I might agree with you. If it can't be patched to the point were it is, at the very least, as safe as chat on other systems, then it should be done away with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo