Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
So, my switch is now banned as of this morning. I was booting into Hekate to run Retroarch cores for the past 2 weeks. I've never used AutoRCM, never used LayeredFS. Never been a problem up until now. I *did* clear the logs yesterday night however which I have never done before, and gets up this morning to see the console banned.

To me, it seems like clearing the logs is a big red flag.
Thanks. Make sure to submit a proper report, this is an important data point (if you've already done so, my apologies).

mastermx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to check if I am banned without needing to update my switch. As I am on 3.0.0 but have used home-brew for emulation/savebackup/home-brew shop

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

xy-maps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, my switch is now banned as of this morning. I was booting into Hekate to run Retroarch cores for the past 2 weeks. I've never used AutoRCM, never used LayeredFS. Never been a problem up until now. I *did* clear the logs yesterday night however which I have never done before, and gets up this morning to see the console banned.

To me, it seems like clearing the logs is a big red flag.

Were you online before the ban wave / you cleared the log files?

Since I installed SX OS, I always deleted the logs before booting in OFW and then went online with OFW.
I have updated my back ups in OFW 3 days ago but has not yet been banned. Yesterday also loaded some updates and still no ban.

Banned: N

Used any CDN Downloader: N
Unchecked "Send Errors" in Menu: Y
Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: Y
SX OS used offline: Y
SX OS used online: N
Played with SX Backups online: N
Layered FS Used offline: N
Layered FS Used online: N
Played with Layered FS Injects online: N
Homebrew Offline: Y
Connect internet with homebrew: N
Connect to eShop during CFW: N
Played with Layered FS Injects with OwnCert.: N
Does the Eshop work: Y
Backups updated: Y OFW
WiFi settings deleted: N (not always)
Airplane mode: Y
AutoRCM: N
SX OS Version used when Online: 1.1 (not online)
Auto Game Update/Downloads deactivated: Y

Is there a way to check if I am banned without needing to update my switch. As I am on 3.0.0 but have used home-brew for emulation/savebackup/home-brew shop

You can login to your Nintendo Account, but I can't remember the right adress, maybe this https://my.nintendo.com/

Last edited by xy-maps,
Reactions: Draxzelex

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I woke up like an hour ago. Nice to see the positive feedback! Just some points I want to address.
  • I spent my entire Saturday from start to finish getting this together from reading everyone's posts (and I mean everyone's) to deciding what info to put where. Honestly, I feel its very incomplete like a credits page would be nice or a more detailed way on users to check what type of ban they have. Weird how everyone thinks its well put together, but I guess my standards are a little TOO high.
  • I see people posting whether or not they are banned so now I've gotta add all of those to the spreadsheet. It shouldn't take that long, but I'm glad that there some bans to add to add as well. Your sacrifices will not end in vain.
  • @OhhSheetz The reason I do not want to add this yet is due to 2 reasons. One is it will make it slightly harder for the chart to be read. We don't have any evidence to support sending payloads makes a difference in the type of ban as of yet. The second is that so few users who used SX OS have been banned as well as those who don't use SX OS at all. These people must overlap in the method in the sending payloads meaning it might not be that. I'll think about it at least.
  • If this got stickied, I would be ecstatic! But I have no idea what the process is like. I guess I'll start by adding a poll and seeing where it goes from there. If anyone knows what I need to do to try and get it stickied, let me know!

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The ban thread to rule them all.

I'm waiting for my license yet but I'm on 4.1 and don't pretend to use online until emunand, so unfortunately I won' be able to contribute for a while

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we make a shared Google sheet for people to add their details to at all? That would work amazingly well for correlating data for this and aid us to spot patterns etc.

I'll set one up and link here

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I now did uninstall anything which has to do with homebrew. I was using hekate and LayeredFS to test backup games. Almost every time offline while starting anything. Always offline (not sure actually) when i was starting a game, only once online while testing a homebrew app. Not banned so far, can start eShop without any trouble. Not sure about playing online games.

willdunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting someone claimed clearing log is dangerous. Is it possible that too much info are deleted and Nintendo gets suspicious?

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes all banned should be in sequential order. And the coloring should be green for Yes and red for No. this seems to be somewhat inconsistent... but really great job from the OP, this is a fair amount of work compiling this.
This is where I had to make a decision. Either I coordinated the colors to mean they were either good or bad or line them up with Y/N. I went with the latter because if I went with the former, some questions would sound awkward to answer (i.e. if Yes is good, then the pairing questions would be "Are you not banned?" or "Did you not use SX OS?") If other people find it too confusing, I'll have to edit the questionnaire and the responses. Not impossible, but as the data grows, this becomes harder and harder.

alright so here mine
layered fs n
cnd downloader n
unchecked errors n
cleared logs y
sx os n
played sx backups n
homebrew offline n
connect to e-shop on cfw y
e-shop work y
backups updated n
wifi setting deleted n
airplane mode n
auto rcm n
auto game updates y
banned N
Did you use Hekate as the only homebrew when you connected to the eShop? Also, I noticed you put homebrew offline even though you used homebrew while on the eShop. I changed your answer to yes because any homebrew/CFW=homebrew offline.

I have a homebrew virgin switch that I intend to use with SX OS. I've never done anything with this console but use it legitimately. I don't care if it gets banned, is there any grey area things I could do to sacrifice it for the greater good so we know for sure that doing X will get you banned?
What I'm really interested in is bans related to backups updated in OFW. If you can keep everything else offline with maximum protection while updating any and all backups in OFW then report a possible ban, we will have proof it is not safe.

Can we make a shared Google sheet for people to add their details to at all? That would work amazingly well for correlating data for this and aid us to spot patterns etc.

I'll set one up and link here
Unfortunately, Google Docs don't allow addition only permissions. I have opened it to allow people to freely comment so I'll take a look there from time to time.

I now did uninstall anything which has to do with homebrew. I was using hekate and LayeredFS to test backup games. Almost every time offline while starting anything. Always offline (not sure actually) when i was starting a game, only once online while testing a homebrew app. Not banned so far, can start eShop without any trouble. Not sure about playing online games.
Please fill out the form so I can clearly mark your responses. Thank you.

Indominusda1e

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Banned: N
Used any CDN Downloader: N
Unchecked "Send Errors" in Menu: Y
Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: N
SX OS used offline: Y
SX OS used online: Y
Played with SX Backups online: Y