Nintendo Switch firmware 18.0.0 has been released

switchhhh.png

It's the first Nintendo Switch firmware update of 2024. Made available as of today is system software version 18.0.0, marking a new milestone. According to the patch notes, not much is brought to the table in this update, which features a new timer option for auto-sleep, and Korean as a supported language for the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls video. Under the hood, however, it looks there there's some substance, as it has broken support for Atmosphere. SciresM says that it'll take a few days to get around to, but expect to see a new Atmosphere update that supports version 18.0.0 in the near future.

Ver. 18.0.0 (Released March 25, 2024)​

• Added “15 Minutes” as an option for “Auto-sleep when playing on TV” in Sleep Mode Settings.
  • Added Korean as a supported language for “Nintendo Switch Parental Controls” introductory video.
    • When the console language is set to Korean, the video can be accessed from Settings > Parental Controls.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

:arrow: Source

Kawaii-Tora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For anybody who hasn't heard about the recent news, the sigpatches repo has been taken down due to a harsh DMCA claim by Nintendo. For now, if you're willing to mod your Switch on the latest firmware, do NOT update until new patches are created.
Is this relevant for people like me, who just use some homebrew like JKSE, ftpd, Edizon Overlay? No emuNAND nor playing Backups.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, just not load them any longer
Has such a change/conmit already appeared, or it will appear later in the future? If that's the case, I guess relying on a Atmosphere fork or emulation may be the only way to run game backups (dumping their contents should still work, unless it's with software signed with at least the master key for firmware 18.0.0+; it usually takes several months for such transitions to happen luckily).

Reactions: Subtle Demise

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's thread on sigpatches (up to 17, NOT the current 18). https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/

"Lockpick_RCM" is what's needed to get your keys, though please, again, this is only for before this current 18 firmware (for now). shame the github got DMCAed. I wonder if you'd find it using google using the quotes...

Just be patient for a week or something, and stay with what you have if you haven't updated anything.

Last edited by osaka35,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So, since sigpatch updater is down, and the AIO updater is (presumably) broken(?), what are we supposed to do about it?

Update how? from where? Once the sigpatch updater became a thing, sites that archived said sigpatches stopped being a thing.

Please DO NOT UPDATE your system and spare all us the infinite post about nothing working and how everybody needs to get the work done and allow you to run xxxx "Homebrew"

If you can't read the O.P. and understand it, updating will be a headache

Congrats. You won yesterdays GBATemp "Entitled Spoiled Brat of the Day" award.
We have here a ferocious competitor

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo beat Apple to 18 but don't expect to get AI from Nintendo. No self playing Switch any time soon.
You mean I can't hook a USB C camera to the Switch, show it a bunch of youtube videos, and expect it to learn how to perform the bomuhey skew trick on Metroid Dread for me? Well, that sucks :hateit::cry:

So, since sigpatch updater is down, and the AIO updater is (presumably) broken(?), what are we supposed to do about it?
Would have helped if you had the source code, learned how to compile it, and learned how to update it. I did. All I need is for Atmosphere to get updated, and I don't have to worry about searching for keys or sigpatches. Unless the crypto itself has changed. Then I'll be singing the Waterboy song... "Oh, no! I suck again!". lol

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid that Nintendo will update the 3DS next after this. I even got another 3DS on Saturday last week from eBay and it still hasn't arrived yet.
Doesn't really matter if they update the 3DS. NTRBoot and Sighax are still unpatchable. The EZ Flash Parallel has NTRBoot for $25. So it'll still be cheap and easy to softmod the 3DS no matter what Nintendo does via software updates.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please DO NOT UPDATE your system and spare all us the infinite post about nothing working and how everybody needs to get the work done and allow you to run xxxx "Homebrew"

If you can't read the O.P. and understand it, updating will be a headache
You remind me of Ted - look at your bear.

Yeah, update will break the firmware and if so, they have to wait a week or around to get Atmosphere updated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated