Nintendo Switch gets a price drop in Europe

swotch.jpeg

After a few years on the market, Nintendo has decided to lower the base MSRP of the Nintendo Switch all throughout Europe. In the past, the Switch retailed for £279.99/€329.99, and now, after the price reduction, the base model of the console will cost £259.99/€299.99. Switch Lite consoles will not be affected by any price change. For those that haven't yet bought one, you can grab a brand new reduced-price Switch from the official Nintendo Store, unless of course, you're waiting on the Nintendo Switch OLED version.

:arrow: Source

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just checked the Canadian Amazon price, and currently there's a $20 discount to 379.99 so it's back to the June 2018 level (somewhere mid-2019 it was raised back to the original price of 399.99).

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
In terms of cost Eu region gets the short end of the stick, coz the Euro has a higher value than the dollar, but the US msrp is $299 and Eu msrp was €330.

If the difference in value between the euro and dollar is accounted for $299 should translate to €250.

Reminds me of the Ps4 launch in 2013 with a $400 price in US and €400 in EU, gamers in europe were buying their Ps4s from US online retailers to get a lower price rather than purchase locally. Tear-downs had revealed the Ps4 has a universal power supply that accepts 100v-240v, and luckily there were no scalpers.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank God I never purchase anything on day one. I got mine a year later, and it was a $100 cheaper than it's launch price. While this does sound like a good thing, a price decrease for the launch model seems obsolete since people would rather find the improved battery version or even the Lite.

Or heck, they might even be saving up for the OLED model.

Last edited by Deleted member 534570,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank God I never purchase anything on day one. I got mine a year later, and it was a $100 cheaper than it's launch price. While this does sound like a good thing, a price decrease for the launch model seems obsolete since people would rather find the improved battery version or even the Lite.

Or heck, they might even be saving up for the OLED model.
Maybe that's something specific to your country (looking at your flag) but the price hasn't reduced much since launch in most of the world, certainly not by that much. It launched at $299 in US.
Edit: They're all the improved battery version. I don't think the OG one is made anymore.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just to free the stock as much as they can, given that the OLED model's release date is getting close, and they know after that everyone who wants to get a new Switch, will go with that.

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: Dud

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's to ruin the second hand market before the OLED comes out. Why buy a used one for 200 when you can get a new one for 250? Dirty Nintendo is dirty.
I don't think the second-hand market will ever be ruined, at least for decent-shaped unpatched consoles.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe that's something specific to your country (looking at your flag) but the price hasn't reduced much since launch in most of the world, certainly not by that much. It launched at $299 in US.
Edit: They're all the improved battery version. I don't think the OG one is made anymore.
I used to live in another country before moving to Lebanon.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still overpriced in my book. And it's even worse here. Shit's $450 in Canada after taxes. What a joke lmao. I paid $220 for mine BNIB on Kijiji, which was a great price, considering I was willing to pay no more than $300. Just doesn't make sense to invest $450 in a weak system whose games cost $90 a pop and never go the fuck on sale.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Consider that the EURO is worth more than the US DOLLAR, why was the Switch's price higher in Europe in the first place?

Deleted member 568468

State of dormancy
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Consider that the EURO is worth more than the US DOLLAR, why was the Switch's price higher in Europe in the first place?
Nintendo likes to pamper USA and Japan more. Western Europe is one of the neglected children, but.. not as neglected as Eastern Europe, which has the prices of Nintendo stuff jacked up to insane amounts due to no proper distribution.

Can you imagine that the 3DS' prices in EE barely dropped after Switch's release? Even years later?

Last edited by Deleted member 568468,

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nintendo likes to pamper USA and Japan more. Western Europe is one of the neglected children, but.. not as neglected as Eastern Europe, which has the prices of Nintendo stuff jacked up to insane amounts due to no proper distribution.

Can you imagine that the 3DS' prices in EE barely dropped after Switch's release? Even years later?

Is what Nintendo doing even legal? I mean can they get fined for this behavior by the EU or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol