Nintendo Switch official firmware version 13.0.0 available, adds Bluetooth audio support

TV4lThD.png

Put your stability jokes on hold, because it's time for a new Nintendo Switch firmware update, and it's one that offers some actual functionality, for once. Official firmware version 13.0.0 is here, and it brings with it support for Bluetooth audio devices, meaning you can now pair headphones, speakers, or earbuds with the Nintendo Switch system without the use of a third-party dongle. Of note, Nintendo specifies that Bluetooth microphones will not pair with the system, as they are not supported.

• Headphones, earbuds, speakers, and other audio devices that connect with Bluetooth can now be paired with Nintendo Switch family systems for audio output.
    • Bluetooth microphones are not supported.
    • Up to two compatible wireless controllers can be connected to the system while using Bluetooth audio.
    • Bluetooth audio cannot be used while local wireless communication is active.
    • For more information, see How to Pair and Manage Bluetooth Audio Devices.

There's more, as well. A new option allows users to update their Switch's dock, though it's a feature exclusive to the Nintendo Switch OLED dock, with its LAN port. Consoles connected to LAN can now also stay connected to the internet, even when in sleep mode. You can grab the update if you're interested in the new features, or stay on your current firmware and await the all-clear from your favorite CFW dev sources.

:arrow: Source

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder what bluetooth headset I should try. I seen many youtube videos sponsored by Raycon... But I don't know. :(
For the love of Sithis don't use Raycon, they're overpriced and not even very good. If you want a pair of headphones consider going to a store and trying some out for yourself, everyone likes different sound profiles and the switch doesn't have equalizer support to affect how they sound.

That said, if you like the form factor DankPods on YouTube reviewed raycons a while back and listed a few better alternatives you can get for less money, maybe check those out as a starting point to find some you like. But never trust anyone "reviewing" a product when they got paid to review them, most of those influencers don't know jack about the product they're reviewing and almost none of them have an inkling about sound quality.

Last edited by RAHelllord,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Last edited by hippy dave,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now they can slap bluetooth support on the new oled boxes. I don't use wireless at home, I'm a wired kinda biped. but my little cheapo wireless earbuds will be used on trips, for sure.

my guess is they have very strong bandwidth requirements for their joycons, so wasn't something they wanted to deal with. they must have squeaked out some bandwidth, enough to make a difference.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: peteruk

Guggimon

GBAtemp's Fucker, Alt Banned and McFuckaroo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hloy fuck
now if they add themes the switcb is finally compepte
Don't forgot folders :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Believe me, a lot of us are passionate about this issue too and have really wanted its inclusion since the Switch's beginning. I see it mentioned EVERYWHERE online. :hateit:

Edit: 3DS Theme support inclusion was included later in the system's life, but I don't think it was even THIS long to wait.

October 2014 from what i can see, I guess this was due to the New 3DS/ LL (XL), launched in Japan around that time and the whole face plate thing on the new 3ds??

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure they didn't include this at launch because of latency issues and how it would affect the connection with the controllers but now people won't really bash them if it sucks. I am curious to see how good/bad the quality is though

Native voicechat on the switch sucks for most games I've played it on so I don't blame them for not including it.

Update: The latency is actually not that bad with my airpods pros. I get worse latency connecting my airpods to my pc. They feel a bit sluggish in the home screen but in game they don't seem that delayed. The quality is fine.

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Yes!

The next switch should have two bluetooth modules, one for controllers and one for other devices.
Yeah right, and maybe two screens, one for...
Oh...

Wow, no latency?
Even heaven has latency...

Hold on, how can they just add this capability in a software update?
Nope. they 'merly' "unlocked" it.
It was there already.
You could use it for quite some time via nxbred and missioncontrol.

We talk about nintendo. Don't expect too much. They need to improve the switch's stability first xD
Of course it has bluetooth.

Inb4someone hacks Switch via rigged BT Headphones.
Nintendo: We brought it into this world *slams fist on desk*, and WE can take it out of it !!!11!

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll stick to the USB dongles for wireless headphones, Bluetooth headsets have way more audio delay. No thanks lol.

Why use BT headphones over the ones you can plug a USB dongle into? Those usually have reduced input lag.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll stick to the USB dongles for wireless headphones, Bluetooth headsets have way more audio delay. No thanks lol.

Why use BT headphones over the ones you can plug a USB dongle into? Those usually have reduced input lag.
Yeah, it's been years since I used BT4.1 but I do remember finding the latency unbearable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was adding some stuff to my gdevelop project and I couldnt save it cuz there was a power outage and thus no internet
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ have you played super smash flash 2?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Not really.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, ok sorry
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh, no need to apologize. Thanks for asking.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You ever played Super Mario Crossover Flash?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its one of the best Mario games in Flash, where you can choose from a number of different Nintendo characters to play as.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i already told you i did play it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Oh, I honestly don't remember, it was a long while ago I imagine.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, it was like a couple months ago
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Man, the new art of Callie from Splatoon's Twitter account looks so amazing and cute
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, any other nostalgic flash games you played?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, any other nostalgic flash games you played?