Nintendo Switch Online to launch in the second half of September

upload_2018-8-10_14-35-15.png

With the launch of Nintendo's first premium online service impending, it has today been confirmed it will be launching in the second half of September, adding a little more information to their previous prediction of just the month itself. The service will give users access to online play, a selection of online-enabled NES games, and a much anticipated online save data backup feature.

Will you be buying a Nintendo Switch Online subscription when the service launches? Are you hoping Nintendo will add something more to sweeten the deal? Let us know your thoughts.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Last edited by Scarlet,

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I pity those who say that can afford a $300 console but not spend the equivalent of $1.67 every month to play online.

Maybe you should realize that having online servers that won't run like garbage and neutralizing cheaters cost money. Everyone is doing it for at least double the price, so why are you being so harsh on Nintendo? If you ever owned a DS you'd know how much cheaters ruined online gameplay.

Are you complaining about getting free, online-enabled NES games? Would you rather want free Switch games? That would cost a lot more than $20 per year. And seeing how much garbage there's in the Switch library, it's safe to assume that you won't get to play any Splatoon.

As for me, yes, I will subscribe. Hell, maybe I'll even buy multiple years at once because of how cheap it is. I love online gaming and I hate cheaters.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I pity those who say that can afford a $300 console but not spend the equivalent of $1.67 every month to play online.

Maybe you should realize that having online servers that won't run like garbage and neutralizing cheaters cost money. Everyone is doing it for at least double the price, so why are you being so harsh on Nintendo? If you ever owned a DS you'd know how much cheaters ruined online gameplay.

Are you complaining about getting free, online-enabled NES games? Would you rather want free Switch games? That would cost a lot more than $20 per year. And seeing how much garbage there's in the Switch library, it's safe to assume that you won't get to play any Splatoon.

As for me, yes, I will subscribe. Hell, maybe I'll even buy multiple years at once because of how cheap it is. I love online gaming and I hate cheaters.
its not about the money its about the idea of it.

while sony and microsoft have a massive list of online games the switch has like 7 so it just inst worth it, nintendo doesn't use dedicated servers they just use p2p and the 20$ a year wont change that you will pay to play 7 games and use p2p really.

while on Sony and Microsoft you got over 200 games with online the switch has barely anything that is the point, people couldn't care less about nes games we have been emulating nes since gba,gc,wii,wiiu,ds,3ds srs nes can be played anywhere and everyone played those games a million times already, also they are free as long as you keep your subscription, if they were permanently free then that would be something.

but paying to play 7 games and backup saves on storage just isnt even worth 20$ IMO.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
its not about the money its about the idea of it.

while sony and microsoft have a massive list of online games the switch has like 7 so it just inst worth it, nintendo doesn't use dedicated servers they just use p2p and the 20$ a year wont change that you will pay to play 7 games and use p2p really.

while on Sony and Microsoft you got over 200 games with online the switch has barely anything that is the point, people couldn't care less about nes games we have been emulating nes since gba,gc,wii,wiiu,ds,3ds srs nes can be played anywhere and everyone played those games a million times already, also they are free as long as you keep your subscription, if they were permanently free then that would be something.

but paying to play 7 games and backup saves on storage just isnt even worth 20$ IMO.
1. More than "7 games" have online multiplayer.
2. A lot of games on PS4 and Xbox One use P2P for matches. Doesn't mean that all of them do that. The number greatly increases when we also count the games with online capabilities like scoreboards and events.
3. The Switch is one year old, of course it has less games. Especially when devs try catching up by making ports of their successful games on the Switch and everyone bitch about "Portendo"
4. Sony and Microsoft's online paid services also give you free games as long as you keep the subscription

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Maybe game companies should hire people that know a little on how to plan certain things if there only in it for profit should I enable them to buy golden toilet bowls as well because in their opinion it is a vital for day to day job as a developer to be able to their jobs?
The point where you enable or disable cheaters is rather awkward because this would make you pay for your own protection this sounds more then a racket then anything else. Want to play without cheaters you pay us extra, no logic in that sadly.
There is only one sure fire way to never encounter cheaters that is single player...

Game developers and their companies peddle so much BS that it is not funny. The classic one is that when everyone switches over to digital copy they can charge less for it because you don't need aeroplanes trucks people stores to move the product.

Online is now the frontier of Nintendo and there doing their best but the whole thing smells ...

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Nintendo should do, but probably won't because $$$. (I'm a bit out of the loop on some things, so I apologize in advance.
1. Free online cloud save backup. (Why even charge for this? Save files shouldn't even be that large anyway.)
2. Offer EVERY single NES/SNES/Famicom/Gameboy/Gameboy Color game for free with no subscription, but the online features can require payment if they wish. We are tired of buying them over and over again, just like Skyrim. The files aren't really that big anyway. Stop milking the cows already.
3. Get rid of the stupid phone app requirement for voice communication. The Switch can handle it on its just fine.
4. Actually use the money from the paid online to fully maintain, improve, and moderate online servers.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe game companies should hire people that know a little on how to plan certain things if there only in it for profit should I enable them to buy golden toilet bowls as well because in their opinion it is a vital for day to day job as a developer to be able to their jobs?
The point where you enable or disable cheaters is rather awkward because this would make you pay for your own protection this sounds more then a racket then anything else. Want to play without cheaters you pay us extra, no logic in that sadly.
There is only one sure fire way to never encounter cheaters that is single player...

Game developers and their companies peddle so much BS that it is not funny. The classic one is that when everyone switches over to digital copy they can charge less for it because you don't need aeroplanes trucks people stores to move the product.

Online is now the frontier of Nintendo and there doing their best but the whole thing smells ...
Absolutely not lol

Online gaming is like going to play laser-tag in a laser-tag room with strangers and you bring your own guns. Some of them have hacked guns/shields that give them unfair advantages/invincibility, but there's no one checking anything. If you pay the entrance, however, it's expected some control to avoid idiotic kids trying to be funny by having hacked gear. That's how it works.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1. More than "7 games" have online multiplayer.
2. A lot of games on PS4 and Xbox One use P2P for matches. Doesn't mean that all of them do that. The number greatly increases when we also count the games with online capabilities like scoreboards and events.
3. The Switch is one year old, of course it has less games. Especially when devs try catching up by making ports of their successful games on the Switch and everyone bitch about "Portendo"
4. Sony and Microsoft's online paid services also give you free games as long as you keep the subscription
online leaderboards games dont need paid online to work, they dont need it on ps4 or xb1 why would nintendo force it to need on switch?

The link clearly states local and online play most gams there only have leaderboards or local play.

1-2 switch has no online, also lots of games there didnt even released like no more heroes,redout,etc or the even cancelled steep and such.

from that list excluding free games and online leaderboards which dont need the subscription you got

puyopuyo tetris
Arms
Splatoon 2
Super bomberman R
mario kart 8
nba2k
fifa
minecraft
dragon ball xenoverse 2

dragon quest games werent even released outside japan with no english translation available.
Very rich list indeed.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: Deleted User

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once read a comment from a random person on some other board but you've all seen it in articles. If your Mario Maker levels on Wii U didn't get enough plays, the level would be automatically deleted so not to flood the servers. I'm both for and against that. There's a lot of shit levels but if I spend some time on mine and want to show it to friends later and it's been deleted...where's the fun in that? They deleted mine after a few DAYS. It wasn't the best level and it really doesn't matter how good or bad it was, they should have server capacity ready for that and instead let the level sink into the abyss like they did in LBP.

Do we want to pay for that SHIT?

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paid online for Nintendo is a joke.
On a Nintendo console you've always been able to turn it on after a year and go straight online with no payment or hoops to jump through, and thats how it should be. Nes games are worthless.
People who defend Nintendo charging for online are nothing more than corporate cocksuckers willing to bleed & lose money.
Would you trust Nintendo with your bank details? I know I wouldn't.
Nintendo can burn for all I care, they've become anti consumer.
Nintendo was for Everyone, now they're taking features away and making you pay for them, not for everyone anymore, only subscription sheep.
Nintendo can burn, the glory days are over.
A huge fk you to any weeb dork defending the paid online, killing the clean wholesome Nintendo feel.
The servers are going to be no better than we've already had, you're just goin go to be paying for them. I rarely had any problem with Nintendos servers in the past.
Hell, a dude runs a Mario Kart Wii server from his bedroom for free and Nintendo a billion dollar company needs your money to run their all of a sudden?!
Smarten up folks, your daft fools for defending the payments.
And as I said, would you trust Nintendo with your bank details or even any of your info, I know I wouldnt.

Last edited by |<roni&g,

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely not lol

Online gaming is like going to play laser-tag in a laser-tag room with strangers and you bring your own guns. Some of them have hacked guns/shields that give them unfair advantages/invincibility, but there's no one checking anything. If you pay the entrance, however, it's expected some control to avoid idiotic kids trying to be funny by having hacked gear. That's how it works.

You paid for the content not that the content was not paid for. If you get charged for it your game which features an online part is now costing extra upon the content you paid for you are paying again to play it online.

This used to be a popular service : http://kali.net/default.asp when gaming was still gaming :) Not the extortion racket it has now become ...

Reactions: |<roni&g

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh good, I wondered how long it would be until "it's only X" a month defense would be along.

Always a sign of a quality offering when the defense is "it's only X a month, you people are cheap".

Last edited by Armadillo,

mizorechan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

There aren't benefits at all for sub Nintendo Online program. Nintendo lost their main trump card, the free online. Aside from Smash Ultimate, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Pokémon games and maybe Arms or Mario Tennis, which game will use this? And the SNES and NES online stuff isn't impressive at all considering this was available a decade ago thanks to Kaillera.

And no. Paid online doesn't necessary means "no cheaters". We are talking about Nintendo which is years behind Sony, Microsoft and Steam in this matter.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to get the online sub.
Its the reason I got a second switch,to play online with of the fear of being banned.

I don't even have any games I can play online at the moment but I plan on supporting the devs.

I bought Dead Cells,then I downloaded a copy from cdnsp for the same reason

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paid online for Nintendo is a joke.
On a Nintendo console you've always been able to turn it on after a year and go straight online with no payment or hoops to jump through, and thats how it should be. Nes games are worthless.
People who defend Nintendo charging for online are nothing more than corporate cocksuckers willing to bleed & lose money.
Would you trust Nintendo with your bank details? I know I wouldn't.
Nintendo can burn for all I care, they've become anti consumer.
Nintendo was for Everyone, now they're taking features away and making you pay for them, not for everyone anymore, only subscription sheep.
Nintendo can burn, the glory days are over.
A huge fk you to any weeb dork defending the paid online, killing the clean wholesome Nintendo feel.
The servers are going to be no better than we've already had, you're just goin go to be paying for them. I rarely had any problem with Nintendos servers in the past.
Hell, a dude runs a Mario Kart Wii server from his bedroom for free and Nintendo a billion dollar company needs your money to run their all of a sudden?!
Smarten up folks, your daft fools for defending the payments.
And as I said, would you trust Nintendo with your bank details or even any of your info, I know I wouldnt.

Ok. Now, tell us how you feel about Microsoft & Sony.

Reactions: aykay55

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sony and microsoft have hundreds of online games not just a handfull and they also offer you free games, and games that are like 2 or 3 years not like nintendo who has less than 10 online games and is oferring games with 30+ years...

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't feed the troll. His post is clearly written with pure hatred and if you look closely at the points you will see that alot of them are clearly stolen from other posts in this thread. He obiously just tried to collect as much negative points as possible, not tried to express his opinion. Guess he was sitting there a sad amount of time forcing his brain in a negative mindset to come-up with new points...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro