Nintendo Switch Won't Be Getting Virtual Console

switch virtual console .JPG

If you've been wondering when you will finally be able to enjoy Virtual Console games on the Switch, you might be in for some disappointment...

Answering to Kotaku, a Nintendo Spokesperson said that “there are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems.”

“There are a variety of ways in which classic games from Nintendo and other publishers are made available on Nintendo Switch, such as through Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo eShop or as packaged collections,” the Nintendo spokesperson added. “Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online will provide a fun new way to experience classic NES games that will be different from the Virtual Console service, thanks to enhancements such as added online play, voice chat via the Nintendo Switch Online app and the various play modes of Nintendo Switch.”

:arrow: SOURCE

D

Deleted User

I was only going to get a handful of games anyway. FE6, Castlevania: Bloodlines and Castlevania 3 (JP). Missing out on these games is a disappointment and I'm not buying them at inflated prices online. But with plenty of other games available it's no big deal.

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

It sounds like he is saying that if you want to play them, you'll have to play them with enhanced features now as opposed to the original code. I.E. You should in theory be able to play something like Double Dragon in 2 player on-line, etc. Where as Virtual Consoles would not have the added benefit of on-line capabilities, and so on.
It also sounds like maybe he’s not supposed to reveal whether or not virtual console is coming. While VC might still not be coming, he said there are no plans currently. Meaning that they may bring it back, or yes - the adapted code - during e3.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But why start off with NES? Every single console has started off with NES. Why not Snes, why not N64, why not something different instead of NES ad nauseum? Come on, Nintendo.

Unless NERD develops the emulators, don't count on it.
You can always hope:
We've also heard that Nintendo Switch's Virtual Console is being engineered by (Nintendo European Research and Development) NERD, the studio behind the recent NES Mini micro-console which sold out in many stores ahead of Christmas.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This is yet another reason why the Wii U is still the best console Nintendo has ever made to date. The only game worth a damn on the switch is Mario Odyssey. Otherwise, Wii U has Breath of the Wild, and if modified, can play just about every single game nintendo has ever made over the past 30 years via VC, nintendont, or emulation.

Last edited by xpoverzion,
Reactions: dAVID_ and Zense

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is yet another reason why the Wii U is still the best console Nintendo has ever made to date. The only game worth a damn on the switch is Mario Odessey. Otherwise, Wii U has Breath of the Wild, and if modified, can play just about every single game nintendo has ever made over the past 30 years via VC, nintendont, or emulation.
Xenoblade 2, for the sake of I don't care what you think but that is the reason I bought the console back in March 2017 anyway.

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Wait for our new Classic consoles. That's the translation. :-)
With the success of the SNES classic, its undeniably one of the steps they'll take. Or like what @T-hug said,
They need to skip vc this gen so they can charge you for the games again nextgen.
If they added it to switch everyone would want their 3ds and wiiu vc content to be free. Skipping a gen allows enough time to have passed for people to be willing to shell out again.
Or they'll drip feed games to the paid sub.

Both makes sense. A money maker sense.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the success of the SNES classic, its undeniably one of the steps they'll take. Or like what @T-hug said,

Both makes sense. A money maker sense.

Well again.. VC as Nintendo intended it.. simply doesn't exist anymore because of the very nature of the games.

"Nintendo: The Virtual Console games faithfully reproduces the original game in all areas, including content, movement and expressions. Principle programming, characters, sound etc. have not been changed."

https://web.archive.org/web/2008081...mputerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=149023

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At this rate, the only features the Switch is going to have beyond playing Switch games is via homebrew. By trying to lock it down so much it seems like Nintendo have just increased the need for homebrew to a much wider audience than with the 3DS, Wii or Wii U and those were already pretty large!

OctolingRift

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone talking like it will only ever be NES games? That's all that is announced, sure, but I seriously doubt that Nintendo won't add other console games to its new service. They probably just aren't ready to announce others and might possibly be using NES as just a testing ground to see if people like the "enhanced" classic gaming idea.
Because they have it labeled as 'Nintendo Entertainment System' not something like Nintendo Classics

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so we'll be gutting and injecting NES roms into apps that will unlock low latency multiplayer for other nes roms.

Sounds like the next generation of injection apps to me.

I mean let's be honest, even CAPCOM couldn't be fucked to port their own megaman games and used an emulator themselves after lying through their teeth about this new technology they're using that wasn't snapshots of save states for the megaman legacy collections.

Last edited by Mark McDonut,

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The translation is:

"We don't really want you to play the Virtual Console games you already bought on your 3DS or Wii U, so we're re-labeling the Virtual Console as something "new" and "enchanced" as an excuse for charging you again. It's all for your sweet, sweet VC money.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The translation is:

"We don't really want you to play the Virtual Console games you already bought on your 3DS or Wii U, so we're re-labeling the Virtual Console as something "new" and "enchanced" as an excuse for charging you again. It's all for your sweet, sweet VC money.

And starting out with NES games, again, isn't all that exciting IMO. Snes and N64 would've gotten me hyped. I can use Nestopia and play them on my Wii U, what's the rush?

Reactions: dAVID_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3