Nintendo: Xenoblade, TLS, Pandora to US? LOLNOPE.

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
tigris said:
But to be fair, we get screwed over waay more than you NA guys here in the EU..
frown.gif
Yeah I dunno why Europe get more love here >.<
Before that we got games months after US with a higher price and now NoE translate games in 4-6 languages and NoA don't want to bring them to the US?

kicknhorse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
squirrelman10 said:
Fail nintendo cmon seriously why not try to sell to Americans are we not the driving force of their popularity and their income my goodness if it werent for America helping them out they would still be in ruins after WWII those gerks (yes i know we dropped 2 bombs on them but they were being dicks and not surrendering, we told them to and they should have listened, but alas we are at their mercy of entertainment sigh)

Anyway, my understanding was that the 3DS was not completely region locked. I was reading that the option is there to region lock cartridges, but it is entirely up to the developer whether they want to or not.

If the developers wanted a game to be region-free then it is entirely possible.

And I agree, Europa gets screwed over much more then the Americas do. But as usual I guess American's do not take much notice of anything outside their own continent.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kicknhorse said:
squirrelman10 said:
Fail nintendo cmon seriously why not try to sell to Americans are we not the driving force of their popularity and their income my goodness if it werent for America helping them out they would still be in ruins after WWII those gerks (yes i know we dropped 2 bombs on them but they were being dicks and not surrendering, we told them to and they should have listened, but alas we are at their mercy of entertainment sigh)

*snip*

Anyway, my understanding was that the 3DS was not completely region locked. I was reading that the option is there to region lock cartridges, but it is entirely up to the developer whether they want to or not.

If the developers wanted a game to be region-free then it is entirely possible.

And I agree, Europa gets screwed over much more then the Americas do. But as usual I guess American's do not take much notice of anything outside their own continent.

The thing about Europe though is in many instances you still get the games nowadays. You're not gimped out of first party Nintendo titles that the rest of the world gets outside of your region.

I mean shit, the days of Chrono Trigger not being available to PAL users (I can't think of a major game outside of this) were issues over a decade ago, and companies have gotten a lot better at releasing stuff to the worldwide market.

L4D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well u can always blame Reggie for not even pushing for RPG Localization, he doesn't even play games let alone runing Nintendo NOA
rolleyes.gif

basf11214

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefreak94 said:
NoA, you disappoint me
frown.gif

Also this is offtopic, but why is there region lock? Is it to force people to mod their systems so they can play games that don't come over to them? Yes, this is a serious question >.>

This prevents you from arbitraging price differences between the various regions. Imagine what people would do if the same game is $20 in the US but $45 in the UK (due to various causes...currency exchange rates for example). It would ruin the UK game retailers' bottom line if lots of people started importing from the US.

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
MigueelDnd said:
Is it wrong that I expected this? Except for the Bieber reference by Nintendo, I somehow knew it would end like this. I hope this decision doesn't carry over to the 3DS and WiiU (by not localizing RPGs although with Tales of the Abbys 3D this doesn't seem to be the case)...

Edit: typo.

I don't think it's supposed to be a Bieber reference. That saying was around before he was born.

Not that I'm Nintendo (I wish) but aren't they kind of shooting themselves in the foot? If there is support for these games in the US (and support = sales) why not bring it over. It's not like they would have that much work to do anyway if they're being released in Europe already.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Operation Rainfall just became Operation Downpour.

They are not going to give up. The Facebook, Twitter, Amazon and physical letter campaigns is just the beginning. They plan to do something on Gamescon as well, and many, many more ideas are flourishing from the community.

NoA, prepare. Do not forget that you are in the entertainment market, and if you refuse to deliver the very product that makes you famous, you will suffer from the rage of the masses.

D

Deleted User

The spam fest on Facebook is starting to get scary not gonna lie. They really should just work on letters and maybe emails. Spamming Facebook is child's play.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSVAV said:
NoA, prepare. Do not forget that you are in the entertainment market, and if you refuse to deliver the very product that makes you famous, you will suffer from the rage of the masses.

Because Nintendo is so well known for RPG games?

I know Monado (Xenoblade) preorders on Amazon got it ranked to #1 temporarily but it's not enough to convince them to localize that alone or even The Last Story or Pandora's Tower. Nintendo is in the market nowadays to push millions of units, not thousands.

If Nintendo consider their 2 million-selling Wii Music a "flop", then I doubt they'll be taking risks with JRPGs in America.

EDIT: Also, Operation Downpour?

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Just a few examples that Nintendo messes with us non-japanese - because don't get the false image, even though we'll *probably* get Xenoblade (if it won't get "cancelled", in which case I wouldn't be too surprised) other game releases still messed with us big-time:

(yy/mm/dd)

Super Smash bros Brawl:
JP - 08.01.31.
US - 08.03.09.
EU - 08.06.26.
AUS - 08.06.27.

3 months between US and EU release. And what was added? Nothing, nil, zilch, zero. I downloaded a pirated NTSC-to-PAL conversion because yeah, damned region lock.

Trauma Center Second Opinion:
JP - 06.12.02.
US - 06.11.19.
EU - 07.08.10.
AUS - 08.08.28.

9 months between US and EU release and almost 2 F*****G YEARS between US and AUS release - though it's somewhat better as US was released before JP. Though I don't exactly know how the game is received in Japan.

Trauma Center New Blood:
JP - 08.01.17
US - 07.11.20
EU - 08.11.07

1 year to EU release. Yeah. I got fed up, imported it and used the damn region freeing disc - which resulted in the game being black-and-white.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the new world
JP - 08.06.26
US - 08.11.11
EU - 09.11.13
AUS - 09.11.26

Again 1 year, but this time, I went with the USB loader solution because I learned from New Blood.

Kirby's Epic Yarn
JP - 10.10.14.
US - 10.10.17
EU - 10.02.24
AUS - 11.02.25

Relatively good (4 months), but I wasn't interested in this one.

So yeah, big N isn't new to messing with us, both US and EU. That's why I didn't buy a DSi and went with a regular DS Lite - no region lock. And while the X360 also has a region lock, it would be difficult to list 10 A-list games with timed region-exclusivity and being non-region-free. Whereas on Wii, EVERY game is non-region-free. And the PS3 is completely region free.

However, with USB loaders around, importing from US to EU or the other way around is relatively easy. JP games on the other hand have the inevitable language barrier (and in the case of JRPGs it's even higher than usual) which is difficult to circumvent as few people speak japanese fluently, and fan translations are rarely completed. So as long as we're getting TLS, Xenoblade and Pandora's tower each for at least one of the EU/US regions, those with USB loaders (which probably includes the majority of tempers) will be able to enjoy the game.

In my opinion, Nintendo deserves every kick in the teeth they get, including their website/databases being hacked, modchips, flashcarts and/or softmods for all their consoles. Why do you suppose one of the first softmods was the disc that allowed other-region games to be played (I don't remember the name, it made the system menu go blurry for a moment when inserted).

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Refering to my previous post, in the main Rainfall website, there's a big news with the name "Operation Downpour".

Link: http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/2011/06/time-for-action.html

Also, to "product", I refer to "entertainment". Nintendo were the first big company in electronic entertainment, and now they are refusing to deliver just that, entertainment. Or are you going to say that Xenosaga, a 100+ hour RPG with an immense world to explore, Last Story, a JRPG whose combat system is just insane and that it's "open world-ness" is comparable to what a WRPG can offer (so it IS suitable to the American market, and will probably be a big hit), and Pandora's Tower, one of the most intense action games of the platform.

Remember Tales of Symphonia? That splendid JRPG game, all alone, allowed the GC and the game itself to take it to the top of the US charts, even surpassing PS2 games. Okay, it was not released by Nintendo, but it was a hit. Now NoA has the potential to make 2 and probably 3 BIG hits, where they are the only ones taking the money. What's wrong with it?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
basf11214 said:
This prevents you from arbitraging price differences between the various regions. Imagine what people would do if the same game is $20 in the US but $45 in the UK (due to various causes...currency exchange rates for example). It would ruin the UK game retailers' bottom line if lots of people started importing from the US.
yeah I know the sermon
customers should not importing anything because its the end of the world
only corps may import stuff because they can export jobs at the same time to keep the balance

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I have strong belief that the issue doesn't lie in Nintendo Ltd. being evil, because let's be honest, they aren't. The issue probably lies in that it's an M rated title for the Wii, in the US. It's bound to probably cause a havoc in PR hell, so to say. This image should say enough about the matter:

arcrise_beforeafter.jpg

Now look me in the eyes and tell me American consumers aren't gonna complain about this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHe2Mbci5YI