Nintendo's president wants to see post launch DLC for its biggest titles

ZQJuIiI.png

Love it or hate it, downloadable content is around to stay, in both the form of minor cosmetics such as in Fortnite, or with major story and gameplay extras such as Spider-Man. In regards to Nintendo, the company seems to sit on the sidelines, offering major season passes for certain games like Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, slight additions in Breath of the Wild, or nothing at all in Super Mario Odyssey. These things might change in the near future, though, due to a new comment from Nintendo's president, Shuntaro Furukawa. During a meeting with a Bloomberg journalist, Furukawa made a handful of statements about Nintendo's current success and their plans for upcoming content on the Nintendo Switch. As far as holiday game releases go, Nintendo has nothing to announce for the Holiday 2018 season, and all their games slated for 2018 have already been in Nintendo Direct showcases. Furukawa also mentioned that Nintendo's growth as a gaming company is dependent on new titles, major content updates, DLC, and online play for the Nintendo Switch. His exact quote was:

We need continuous growth. We must keep releasing new software. That includes DLCs and other contents for big titles that are already out. And more focus on online play. Lastly, more genres and diverse games to draw in people who don't currently play on Switch.

With a such a stance on downloadable content for games that have already released, we could perhaps see DLC for titles such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which would benefit from more tracks, or Super Mario Odyssey, a game that has already seen post-launch support in the form of new costumes and the Balloon World mode, but could offer brand new experiences in the form of new levels or moons to collect.

What are your thoughts? Are you wary of a future where post-launch DLC could require you as a consumer to spend more on your favorite games, or would you prefer even more content to play through and have fun with?

:arrow: Source

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Or, as said, use the time to make new games.
The reason everyone jumped on the DLC train is because you can get away with selling it extremely unfairly priced, exploiting a person's misconception of "it's just 5 bucks bro that's like zero"
Of course, in an utopia where all the content was being sold for its realistic exact effort, making new games would always be the smartest move except in those extremely rare cases when you get a one-shot phenomenon like minecraft which you cannot replicate for reasons.

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Then you have crap-tier dlc like BOTW's that locks hard mode behind a paywall and is pretty lame with not much content for way too much. So we'll see how it goes...
Hard Mode as they did with BOTW I find acceptable, not good. Older titles had hard mode, but it was so pointless, just raising enemy damage and life and reducing yours, it is the exact same game (Master Quest was only good with the OoT version included as a bonus on GameCube, that they redesigned the game to be not only harder, but to be different as the base game so you couldnt rely on muscle memory). On BOTW the enemies are placed differently at least and it has a bit of random factor with shuffling obtainable equips around the world. My problem with BOTW DLC is the convenienceadded to the game such as masks that make finding collectables easier, warp portals, travel history, call horse from anywhere... This could be easily added inside the game, but it seems like they created problems to sell the solution later, it is not different from games filled with energy systems and microtransactions.

Last edited by Codemastershock,
Reactions: SonicMC

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would light a fire under Camelot's ass to give us another Golden Sun game on Switch, or at least bring the trilogy over in a remaster.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Better if they work on new games rather than in unwanted and not asked DLCs.
Good luck with that, lmao! I've been wanting new games, and all we're getting is shitty Wii U and 360/PS3 ports

D

Deleted User

My thoughts on this are it’s ok as long as it doesn’t degenerate into microtransactions.
For Mario Kart, DLC would be great. I find maps get a bit stale so I welcome additional DLC as long as it’s a decent pack reasonably priced.
Smash I’m a bit conflicted with. Nintendo does well in adjusting characters so it doesn’t become pay to win. Still it feels a bit like microtransactions.
Single player is also ok as long as it’s reasonably priced with fair amount of content. I didn’t feel the Zelda ones were particularly good.

Bottom line is I support if decent content at reasonable prices and doesn’t become microtransactions or pay to win.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
When you play a game that you love, don't you just want it to last a little longer? (that's what she said)
Honestly, after playing Ocarina of Time, if you could download a DLC quest that adds 10+ hours of gameplay for $10, wouldn't you do it? I know I would. This is just an example.

Recently I played Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and I absolutely loved it. When I beat the game it left a void, I'm going to wait a bit and get all the DLCs later when they release a package.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
When you play a game that you love, don't you just want it to last a little longer? (that's what she said)
Honestly, after playing Ocarina of Time, if you could download a DLC quest that adds 10+ hours of gameplay for $10, wouldn't you do it? I know I would. This is just an example.

Recently I played Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and I absolutely loved it. When I beat the game it left a void, I'm going to wait a bit and get all the DLCs later when they release a package.
Still Waiting for Ocarina of Time Ura to come out.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Nintendo is the one company that I'd willingly want to see tons of DLC for. More retro tracks for MK8D, or old school maps for Super Mario Party would have me opening my wallet so fast.
I want DLC for breath of the wild more dlc
..but first i have to finish ssome side quests

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
DLC is all good and dandy, but just do us a favor:
Don't launch DLC at the same time the game launches.
Don't charge for multiplayer maps for brawlers
DLC in the form of expansions = yes, please

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Or both. I dunno if you know this, but Nintendo is a pretty big company. They can hire devs as needed.

They are, but they do not act like they are though. They act like 'settle down bro, we can only manage a game a year lol lmao' and stuff. If they believed in hiring devs to make 1st party games they would do it already, instead of stagnating and keeping so many IPs in the dark. The only Nintendo developed game this year (so far) has been Captain Toad and it is a port. If they truly believed that, they would hire a few teams to capitalise on their games and IPs and put more games out or even help with pushing DLCs out while still developing new stuff.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How about you keep making NEW games and less ports, Nintendo?

Some DLC on Mario Kart would definitely help.

Maybe extend it to more Nintendo IPs.... I want Pikachu on a kart damnit!

It might be weird, but I'd like Mario Kart to stay Mario Kart. Link and Animal Crossing in Mario Kart is already a bit weird to me. Keep the total mash ups to Smash Bros.

Reactions: Bladexdsl
D

Deleted User

Really interesting.
People here are, for the most part, passionate gamers.
Well, it appears that DLCs are accepted by the majority nowadays.

On my side, I just boycott them (broodwar expansion pack was awesome but charge 5€ to play Yoda/Vador on soul4 was a scam).
DLCs ruined my experience of many games, P4DAN/PDf on VITA or BOTW for instance: game is incomplete, need more cash.

Tit-for-tat ? Rwaaar.

D

Deleted User

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oops, sorry for the flood...

Last edited by ,

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
When I buy a game, I want to buy the whole game.
I hate the DLCs, I consider them as: "We aren't able to finish the game in time so, buy a piece of it - we don't care if you cannot play the whole game immediately"

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I buy a game, I want to buy the whole game.
I hate the DLCs, I consider them as: "We aren't able to finish the game in time so, buy a piece of it - we don't care if you cannot play the whole game immediately"
There is a problem with that. Cut Content. Even games like Banjo Kazooie had content cut to meet deadlines so the game would release on time. With DLCs, developers can cut content to meet deadlines but instead of that content being lost forever, it can be rolled out later.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves