Hardware No Matter how long I charge it, my 3DS turns off the instant I take the charger out

CoolCaper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything else works fine, but when I try and play Super Mystery Dungeon, it tells me that "An Unexpected Error Occurred. The System Will Restart".
Please help!?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How old is your 3DS? It sounds like you have two separate issues.

For the 3DS turning off the moment you remove the charger, that sounds like it is a dead battery that doesn't hold a stand-alone charge or provide enough voltage. See if you have any fellow 3DS buddies that you try borrowing their batteries to check against yours.

For Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, is this copy of yours a physical or digital version? If it is a digital, try backing up your save data and reinstalling the game.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
As already stated, the first issue is a battery one. Replace it and it should be fine. Avoid trying to charge it over and over because it might have a leakage and go inside the motherboard causing more problems.

For SMD, I assume it's a pirated copy since mainly those can crash on startup. If it is, go on FBI and reinstall the game seed from there. That should fix it. Otherwise, if it's a legit copy, redownload for digital version, but if it's cartridge, it could very well be a faulty one (had it happened with a game once before).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Everything else works fine, but when I try and play Super Mystery Dungeon, it tells me that "An Unexpected Error Occurred. The System Will Restart".
Please help!?
When did the battery issue start occurring? How old is the 3DS?
It's normal for battery life to be severely degraded after 3-5 years of constant use, to the point where it may only hold a charge for a few seconds, but it should still hold some charge, however little. For it to turn off instantly is uncommon, although not impossible.
I'm assuming this is something that started recently and not something which has been this way since you got the 3DS? I have to ask, since kiosk units actually behave this way by design.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that SMD has a thing where it detects when the battery is low. Maybe it has something to do with that. Maybe it detects the battery itself being dead, but the system is on so it doesn't know what to do and it kills itself resulting in an error occuring? IDK why it would do that.

CoolCaper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As already stated, the first issue is a battery one. Replace it and it should be fine. Avoid trying to charge it over and over because it might have a leakage and go inside the motherboard causing more problems.

For SMD, I assume it's a pirated copy since mainly those can crash on startup. If it is, go on FBI and reinstall the game seed from there. That should fix it. Otherwise, if it's a legit copy, redownload for digital version, but if it's cartridge, it could very well be a faulty one (had it happened with a game once before).
It was a used version, I made it to the main menu and deleted the previous adventure, and then the problem began. We're going to try one last time.
When did the battery issue start occurring? How old is the 3DS?
It's normal for battery life to be severely degraded after 3-5 years of constant use, to the point where it may only hold a charge for a few seconds, but it should still hold some charge, however little. For it to turn off instantly is uncommon, although not impossible.
I'm assuming this is something that started recently and not something which has been this way since you got the 3DS? I have to ask, since kiosk units actually behave this way by design.
Well, it's a long story, but basically my right hinge cracked and after that was fixed the system's cursor/player would move right whenever possible, then after fixing that and the screen went dark. During the repair the power went out and ever since then it's been doing this. I'm sorry I didn't give these details sooner. I was panicking a bit.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just quick tip for your new battery of course.
Never or at least try to avoid running the battery completely dead. Charge when it's at about 20 percent and charge it completely. This will make your battery last for well over 5 years. I'm still using a galaxy s4 and the battery holds charge just as it did when it was new 4 years ago.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Never or at least try to avoid running the battery completely dead. Charge when it's at about 20 percent and charge it completely. This will make your battery last for well over 5 years. I'm still using a galaxy s4 and the battery holds charge just as it did when it was new 4 years ago.
You can't really run the battery dead on the 3DS, but besides that, it's a good advice. Best is to charge when it's at 15% though (LED turns red). Avoid getting to the flashing red LED (8%) or the black screen (4%, then stays on until 2% with screen off but wifi on before turning off). My 2DS is almost 5 years old now and the battery still lasts for 6+ hours (lighting setting on 3).

It was a used version, I made it to the main menu and deleted the previous adventure, and then the problem began. We're going to try one last time.

Well, it's a long story, but basically my right hinge cracked and after that was fixed the system's cursor/player would move right whenever possible, then after fixing that and the screen went dark. During the repair the power went out and ever since then it's been doing this. I'm sorry I didn't give these details sooner. I was panicking a bit.
Try going on the system settings, check if there's any extra data and stuff for SMD, if there is, delete it all. Then see if that fixes it...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is true that discharging Lithium batteries fully is bad, but the only way that can happen is if you leave it in a drawer with low battery for a long time (months/years) so it discharges naturally, as the console will power off before the battery is fully discharged. As long as you charge it every now and then it shouldn't affect battery life.
The battery is rated for a minimum amount of charge/discharge cycles before it reaches a certain level of wear (as an example 500 cycles/70% of original capacity remaining is pretty common), discharging it until the 3DS powers off and charging it back up counts as 1 cycle, charging it back up when it's at 20% counts as 80% of a cycle, so in theory you are not gaining anything by doing that.

However, I did read somewhere about the military charge spec saying to stop charging at around 4v (probably around 80-85% charge?) or so rather than the usual 4.2v, which is supposed to make the battery last much longer, they might have a similar spec for the maximum discharge voltage. I don't know if this is true though, as it was just some random guy on another forum and I can't seem to find any info backing that up. Also, that involves only passing 4v of charge voltage to the battery, so it will naturally stop when it reaches that level. Using a normal charger that passes the full 4.2v might not give the same benefit.

But I think Samsung batteries (at least from that generation of phones) are just really good. My Note 3 battery was still going strong after 4 years, and I didn't pay much attention to how and when I charged it, although I tried to keep it from depleting completely since a dead phone is no fun.

Reactions: dsearnack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I said to my wifey earlier, "I gotta pull a Nocto card on that one." Without even thinking she...