Tutorial NOOB friendly guide to Downgrading your 3DS (From FW <10.7!!)

Didja downgrade successfully from 10.4/10.5/10.6 ?

• O3ds yes

Votes: 137 41.6%
  • O3ds no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • New 3DS yes

Votes: 128 38.9%
  • New 3DS no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I'll wait until yls8/smea releases an entrypoint for me

Votes: 73 22.2%

• Total voters

AsemuAsuno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to let every one know I used this tutorial and OOT 3d the select version with AR Power saves cost around 45. USD and works great. 10.6 3ds xl old.

Edit for some reason I can't use the oot to boot into homebrew after downgrade.

Are you using the right ropbin after the downgrade? You need to use the 9.2 ropbin and nto the 10.6 lol

Basically use the 9.2 version of the save and not the 10.6

Last edited by AsemuAsuno,

adam1290

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes if you could that would be great. ll look forward to hearing back.

I've just successfully downgraded from 10.6 to 9.2 very very easily with OOT and powersaves. I used this tutorial (I'll past it below) to get the entry point working and then after that just followed the guide on the first page here.

Dayle Hall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just successfully downgraded from 10.6 to 9.2 very very easily with OOT and powersaves. I used this tutorial (I'll past it below) to get the entry point working and then after that just followed the guide on the first page here.

I also managed to pick up a copy of oot and a action replay. Managed to downgrade and install the Emunand. now looking to install arm9 hax

adam1290

Trophies
XP
Country
I also managed to pick up a copy of oot and a action replay. Managed to downgrade and install the Emunand. now looking to install arm9 hax
I now nothing about armloader9hax, I previously installed RXTools on a 4.5 O3DS so am just doing the same as it does everything I want!

Dayle Hall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I now nothing about armloader9hax, I previously installed RXTools on a 4.5 O3DS so am just doing the same as it does everything I want!

Niether did i but i been reading up on it and its meant to be more stable with faster and more reliable boots...

If you decide to go down that root check this out https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Its really clear and easy to understand.

digitalforums

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
im on 10.5 and cannot even get the broswerhax to run, so cannot downgrade with this.
does anyone have any more info on running the browserhax.

i can load it all up but it freezes everytime on the orange colour, and ive tried about 50 times now.

Darkgilson

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank you for this awesome tutorial !!
I went from stock 10.5 new 3DS Europe version to 9.2, without a single issue, very clear !

Ok, now that I have the "golden firmware"...
What is the next step ?
I would like to have a safe way to keep it, install homebrews the easy way, and "have fun". Is custom firmware the only possibility ?
I have to say I'm very confused about all these emunands stories...

Thank you !

Coraje187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using the right ropbin after the downgrade? You need to use the 9.2 ropbin and nto the 10.6 lol

Basically use the 9.2 version of the save and not the 10.6

Yes I did that, but I'm going to recheck everything and try again. What it keeps doing is starting but crashes back to home screen.

Edit figured it out the program said the wrong one yellow help out. Working great now.

Last edited by Coraje187,

yoshimashi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO HARDMOD IS REQUIRED. (But you can backup your NAND before downgrade as an extra precaution)
EDIT: SafeSysUpdater added only to check your downgrade files
EDIT2: A better proof video added.
EDIT3: This will also work on 10.7, but you will need OOT3Dhax or Ninjhax for that.

Aah, Nintendo patched memchunkhax again, but partially (again). So as expected, we can now again downgrade our consoles from 10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7 ( to 9.2. Yeah, No joke.
You can wait for yellows8 to release browserhax/menuhax if you're on 10.6/10.7, or you can proceed if you have 10.4/10.5 w/ Menuhax or 10.6/10.7 with Ninjhax/OOThax.

PLEASE USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU ARE ON 10.3 OR UNDER.

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title in order to not get bricked! Also, remove any DNS which blocks updates, so that you can update if you softbrick.

I will not be responsible for any bricks, so proceed with caution. And remember, OLD 3DS and New 3DS have different downgrade packs, so always double check what you're downloading. Old 3DS Packs will work fine with 2DS.

You can't just use OOTHax with a copy of OOT.You will have to install OOTHax on it, with another entrypoint/another 3DS with Homebrew access/Datel Powersaves. Click here if you have a copy of OOT without homebrew.

Requirements:
-You console with FW 10.7/10.6/10.5/10.4

-Homebrew Entrypoint:
10.6/10.7: OOTHax or Ninjhax, cuz Menuhax and browserhax dont work (currently) on 10.6 or 10.7.
10.4/10.5: OOTHax, Ninjhax, or Menuhax. If you don't yet have menuhax, use the browserhax workaround to get browserhax for installing menuhax.

-SafeSysUpdater, to check your downgrade pack.

-The new sysUpdater for memchunkhax2.1 from here

-Your console's 9.2 downgrade pack from 'that iso site' [or 'that chaosful site'. Google this:
MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions) Cha0s Em3rald ]
If you think Google is failing you, we have DuckDuckGo, Yahoo, Bing (XD) , etc.

Dont use Old 3DS pack for a New 3DS, or a New 3DS pack for an Old 3DS/2DS.

-You are recommended to do a system format before downgrading, as it drastically reduces the chances of a brick. Also backup your SD Card, format it, then copy all files back. That would reduce brick chances too.

Instructions:
1. Put the sysUpdater.3dsx in /3ds/sysUpdater on your SD Card, and the SafeSysUpdater.3dsx in /3ds/SafeSysUpdater folder.
2. Put the downgrade pack cia files in /updates on your SD Card
3. Start homebrew using your entrypoint
4. Select SafeSysUpdater and press A to check the files. Don't press Y to downgrade, please don't.

5. Only if it says everything is good, exit back to The Homebrew Launcher, and start the sysUpdater.Also:

6. Press Y to downgrade.
7. Wait
8. Boom! You downgraded your console from 10.7/10.6/10.5/10.4 to 9.2!
Now install CFW, and probably arm9loaderhax, and enjoy!

You can check whether you downgrade was complete or not, here.

Don't do any of this, or get a brick:
- Put your 3DS on Sleep Mode during the downgrade process
-Switch Off you 3DS during the downgrade process
-Use Old 3DS downgrade files for a
New 3DS or New 3DS downgrade files for an Old 3DS or 2DS
-Downgrade while your console's battery is low
-Or anything stupid which might interrupt the downgrade process

Proof that this works:

No sound in this one too, sorry.
I was using an EmuNAND 10.6. But no CIA manager, not even the earlier sysUpdater works on 10.6 Firmwares (through Homebrew Launcher, not CIA versions of them), cuz memchunkhax2 was patched. But now, this sysUpdater works, cuz memchunkhax2.1 :)

I have an emunand 10.6 that i'm trying to downgrade to 9,2 but even after sysupdater told me that i downgraded successfully, I checked my system settings and i'm still on 10.6 instead of 9.2. What should i do?

Last edited by yoshimashi,

Zyrmkel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO HARDMOD IS REQUIRED. (But you can backup your NAND before downgrade as an extra precaution)
EDIT3: This will also work on 10.7, but you will need OOT3Dhax or Ninjhax for that.

Aah, Nintendo patched memchunkhax again, but partially (again). So as expected, we can now again downgrade our consoles from 10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7 ( to 9.2. Yeah, No joke.
You can wait for yellows8 to release browserhax/menuhax if you're on 10.6/10.7, or you can proceed if you have 10.4/10.5 w/ Menuhax or 10.6/10.7 with Ninjhax/OOThax.

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 title in order to not get bricked! Also, remove any DNS which blocks updates, so that you can update if you softbrick.

I will not be responsible for any bricks, so proceed with caution. And remember, OLD 3DS and New 3DS have different downgrade packs, so always double check what you're downloading. Old 3DS Packs will work fine with 2DS.

You can't just use OOTHax with a copy of OOT.You will have to install OOTHax on it, with another entrypoint/another 3DS with Homebrew access/Datel Powersaves. Click here if you have a copy of OOT without homebrew.

Requirements:

-Homebrew Entrypoint:
10.6/10.7: OOTHax or Ninjhax, cuz Menuhax and browserhax dont work (currently) on 10.6 or 10.7.
10.4/10.5: OOTHax, Ninjhax, or Menuhax. If you don't yet have menuhax, use the browserhax workaround to get browserhax for installing menuhax.

-Your console's 9.2 downgrade pack from 'that iso site' [or 'that chaosful site'. Google this:
MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions) Cha0s Em3rald ]

-You are recommended to do a system format before downgrading, as it drastically reduces the chances of a brick. Also backup your SD Card, format it, then copy all files back. That would reduce brick chances too.

Instructions:
1. Put the sysUpdater.3dsx in /3ds/sysUpdater on your SD Card, and the SafeSysUpdater.3dsx in /3ds/SafeSysUpdater folder.
4. Select SafeSysUpdater and press A to check the files. Don't press Y to downgrade, please don't.

5. Only if it says everything is good, exit back to The Homebrew Launcher, and start the sysUpdater.Also:

6. Press Y to downgrade.
7. Wait

Proof that this works:

I was using an EmuNAND 10.6. But no CIA manager, not even the earlier sysUpdater works on 10.6 Firmwares (through Homebrew Launcher, not CIA versions of them), cuz memchunkhax2 was patched. But now, this sysUpdater works, cuz memchunkhax2.1 :)

You should update this guide to just use SafeSysUpdater, it works on 10.4+ and has the proper sort order for cias so nfirm downgrades last. The only real issue some might have is the current 9.2.0-20J doesnt pass the md5 checks and we'd need more people who've successfully downgraded using this pack to come forward on the SSU thread before changing the md5 checks

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
im on 10.5 and cannot even get the broswerhax to run, so cannot downgrade with this.
does anyone have any more info on running the browserhax.

i can load it all up but it freezes everytime on the orange colour, and ive tried about 50 times now.
Main page, there is a link to browserhax.
You should update this guide to just use SafeSysUpdater, it works on 10.4+ and has the proper sort order for cias so nfirm downgrades last. The only real issue some might have is the current 9.2.0-20J doesnt pass the md5 checks and we'd need more people who've successfully downgraded using this pack to come forward on the SSU thread before changing the md5 checks
Check this:
No,after sysupdater did everything it restarted when i pressed b.
I used ocarina as entry point,checked the files with safesysupdater and i formatted everything before starting.
Don't use safesysupdater for downgrade,i tried it 2 times and 2 times i got a broken firmware.

Last edited by Salamencizer,

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Requirements:

-Homebrew Entrypoint:

Instructions:

6. Press Y to downgrade.
7. Wait

Proof that this works:

As I recall, for JP N3DS you need to delete one of the cias in the cia pack. However this isn't mentioned in the guide. Is this no longer necessary?

Zyrmkel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it is!

Why is this cia always included in the 9.2-J cia pack? Wouldn't it be wiser for the original uploader to remove it to begin with instead of having each individual delete it?
it would be even wiser if the downgraders we use just skipped that file entirely for the 9.2J pack

Zyrmkel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Main page, there is a link to browserhax.

Check this:
just did a couple tests from 10.7 sys, using both sysUpdater and SSU and managed to get the exact same downgrade, downgrade checker spit out the same extra titles and expected X version titles, so I don't see why not?

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im trying to downgrade my N3DS on 10.6E to 9.2E im pretty sure ive downloaded all the right files but my check keeps failing at MD5>/updates/0004001000022000.cia

Any1 have any ideas?
Its either corrupted or somethings up with your SD. Format Sd and redownload the update files and check again. PM me were you got the files from and ill check em out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can i use friendhax - btw nice guide :)
the fucks friendhax?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1