• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Now that Daesh is done for what do with them?

• Thread starter Deleted-479522
  • Start date
  • Views 7,308
  • Replies 86

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I might tell you something that might be news to you, but smiling is a sign of happiness. :)

Now enter a study that "proves that". Now enter causality not clear to the researchers. Now all of a sudden people are telling other people to smile more, so they can be more happy.

Here is the issue I have with that. For some reason I'm actually rather empathic, and maybe a bit above average, when it comes to reading facial expressions.

I can identify a fake smile pretty much while in sleep, with my eyes closed, and the light turned off (thats not concrete thinking (allegory, metaphor, ...). And it gives me a small punch in the gut everytime I see people trying to employ their fake smile to match the occasion.

So phrases that start like:

- Smile and the world will smile at you
or
- Do good to people and the world will be good to you

to me sound like lies, that sell well. Self help books. Cheap marketing tricks. Auto suggestion, that tricks the body into producing a reaction that holds for 20 minutes top.

The entire "fake it until you make it" ethos is something thats so far removed from my personal sensibilities, that I will never agree to it, just on the surface level - because of some cheap rethorical trick, that make it sound like there is some logic behind it. There is not.

Fake your life better, and "believe in a higher power" Call it Karma, I call it the cheapest thing to make this drama sound like it was predetermined - it was not. A british politician killed a child here. For the sake of getting some facebook likes. Thats not karma either. Thats life.

And now we take a deep breath, and move on... ;)

(Concept of Karma or religion is needed for people to deal with those difficult situations - because they need to shortcut their logic to segment an issue, they cant deal with - positively - any other way. Its there to get people through difficult situations.

We dont need it for a *haha* moment, because a child has died, or a UK politician has facilitated that. Thats not karma either, but thats unforseeable consequences of political action. We call that tragedy, or irony. Sometimes even necessity.

Thats where black/dark humor originates from.)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Lets pick a different situation. Lets say, the women in the example here and her (terrorist) husband reenter the UK, as per law is their right. Lets say all risk identifiaction and mitigation, and reintegration measures fail, and her husband does - what every second nitwhit here expects him to do and blows up a group of people for "terrorism" reasons in the UK.

Do we call that Karma?
We dont.

Lets say we put this into the perspective of the west having conquered and exploited middle eastern countries for centuries.

Do we call it Karma in that context?
We dont.

In fact, we call it terrorism, and convince our societies, that its the biggest issue they face to date (it is not), and they should be very afraid (yes, please - if you've got nothing better to do). Then we use it to sell the same people another war with an entirely different country.

Because in their minds, it all blends together. They might even call it Karma at that point.

This is kind of the little lesson I want to leave this thread with. Karma is too positive of a masking term for this farce.

Last edited by notimp,

PrettyFly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I don't understand is.

Why are you so sure that the Yazidi people of Kurdistan and Iraq so thoroughly deserved to suffer mass murder and to be sold in to sex slavery, that you can not bring yourself to say the people who committed it were terrorists.

The people she helped harm were the people of that region. The born and raised there. Their fight was largely against the populace and local forces (created to fight them).

You can not claim they went there to liberate the Yazidi from Western colonialism.

I'm really struggling to understand that line of reasoning. Can you explain it more?

Last edited by PrettyFly,

PrettyFly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I might tell you something that might be news to you, but smiling is a sign of happiness. :)

Now enter a study that "proves that". Now enter causality not clear to the researchers. Now all of a sudden people are telling other people to smile more, so they can be more happy.

Here is the issue I have with that. For some reason I'm actually rather empathic, and maybe a bit above average, when it comes to reading facial expressions.

I can identify a fake smile pretty much while in sleep, with my eyes closed, and the light turned off (thats not concrete thinking (allegory, metaphor, ...). And it gives me a small punch in the gut everytime I see people trying to employ their fake smile to match the occasion.

So phrases that start like:

- Smile and the world will smile at you
or
- Do good to people and the world will be good to you

to me sound like lies, that sell well. Self help books. Cheap marketing tricks. Auto suggestion, that tricks the body into producing a reaction that holds for 20 minutes top.

The entire "fake it until you make it" ethos is something thats so far removed from my personal sensibilities, that I will never agree to it, just on the surface level - because of some cheap rethorical trick, that make it sound like there is some logic behind it. There is not.

Fake your life better, and "believe in a higher power" Call it Karma, I call it the cheapest thing to make this drama sound like it was predetermined - it was not. A british politician killed a child here. For the sake of getting some facebook likes. Thats not karma either. Thats life.

And now we take a deep breath, and move on... ;)

(Concept of Karma or religion is needed for people to deal with those difficult situations - because they need to shortcut their logic to segment an issue, they cant deal with - positively - any other way. Its there to get people through difficult situations.

We dont need it for a *haha* moment, because a child has died, or a UK politician has facilitated that. Thats not karma either, but thats unforseeable consequences of political action. We call that tragedy, or irony. Sometimes even necessity.

Thats where black/dark humor originates from.)

I mean you can refused to acknowledge whatever you want despite strong evidence base. It just is a red flag to others to devalue your opinion.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Why are you so sure that the Yazidi people of Kurdistan and Iraq so thoroughly deserved to suffer mass murder and to be sold in to sex slavery, that you can not bring yourself to say the people who committed it were terrorists.
Easy out, because I believe in (the existence of) collective delusions.

Essentially - hold people responsible on a personal level, its harder to hold them responsible on a collective one.

Also because I see how easy that can be instrumentalized.

My first "motivation" in any situation is to basically try to look at it from multiple angles, try to find the best outcome - and try to act towards it.

What happened in the (non recent) past is entirely non relevant to this approach. Help people to learn things, so they might not readily make the same mistake soon, mitigate the outcome for all people involved.

Meaning.

If the entire marketing gag of "IS fighters are not welcome back" would actually had a chilling effect (prevented people from being instumentalized in the future), I'd be reluctantly for it.

But thats not what its providing. Really. Not to anyone who can read... ;)

To me saying, that a human collective is bad, is like saying electricity is bad to some extent.

I accept, that the human subconscious is a heck of a thing. Freud apparently passed an angry and disillusioned man, because he saw how thin the veil of civilization was at the start of WW2.

So thats not what I choose to focus on, if I have the choice.

Now you can say - that victims need retaliation or "justice" for the healing process, but that doesnt have to end in blame narratives the size of "terrorism".

I very much believe, that human beings in war are different from anything armchair coaches would expect of them. And that that doesnt depend on a specific ideology or race.

In general. I might stray from that ideology (the thing I layed out overall) once in a while though.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn