Hacking NSMB + WiiKey v1

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my Wii to 4.2U (don't ask why, I just did). Since I have a WiiKey v1 in there, I didn't care. Of course I then wanted to play NSMB. I used bannerbomb to install HBC and BootMii (as boot2). I backed up my NAND and then trucha signed IOS36 (downgrade 15, patch, restore 15). I then loaded up DOP-IOS-MOD with IOS36, removed stubs and trucha patched IOS70. Homebrew now works.

I load up NeoGamma R8 B15, Load from . Game loads up just fine. Randomly while playing (usually within 2 minutes now) i get a disc read error. I reload through NeoGamma R8b15 and now it won't read. Ok.....restart. Load up GeckoOS 1.9.3. Load game from DVD. I start playing. 5 minutes later, disc read error.

The reason I am loading through NeoGamma or GeckoOS is because they actively remove the BCA protection (at least they are supposed to (NeoGamma since R8 b12 and GeckoOS in the latest)). Clearly they are not, or something else is going wrong here. My disc is clean and I had no errors before. I guess it COULD be PI errors, but that is highly unlikely as I have never had one before with my burning situation. So let's assume it is not a disc error.

Any thoughts? Did I miss something?

franz029

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah!, I have Wiikey v1 to just like yours and a NSMB downloaded PAL Version. Maybe the problem happens to you will happen to me someday
wink.gif
but I use USB Loader GX.

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@f1r3sh4rk

I had it working just fine like this in 3.2U. Is there something in 4.2U that is blocking NeoGamma/GeckoOS from stripping the BCA code? The whole point of this is to be able to play the 1:1 backup and not a patched copy.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
@f1r3sh4rk

I had it working just fine like this in 3.2U. Is there something in 4.2U that is blocking NeoGamma/GeckoOS from stripping the BCA code? The whole point of this is to be able to play the 1:1 backup and not a patched copy.
Install cIOS rev14

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
OrGoN3 said:
@f1r3sh4rk

Install cIOS rev14

I'm hoping that was not a serious response. I have a modchip and therefore do not need custom IOS to play backups. IOS249 is NOT needed/required. As I said, I had this working like this on 3.2U. NeoGamma/GeckoOS seem to not be removing the BCA now and I am wondering why.

Please only real posts guys, if you know what's going on.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
tattar8 said:
OrGoN3 said:
@f1r3sh4rk

Install cIOS rev14

I'm hoping that was not a serious response. I have a modchip and therefore do not need custom IOS to play backups. IOS249 is NOT needed/required. As I said, I had this working like this on 3.2U. NeoGamma/GeckoOS seem to not be removing the BCA now and I am wondering why.

That was a real post...Anyway, you say you tried Neogamma R8 beta15. Did you try the next version, beta16?

f1r3sh4rk

Trophies
XP
Country
i have 4.1e and it did it on there so think your only choice is ti patch it and the cios would help but it would have to be cios 16 but that breaks neogamma.Neogamma r16 still does the same the only way i found was to patch it but there might be a diff way.

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
OrGoN3 said:
tattar8 said:
OrGoN3 said:
@f1r3sh4rk

Install cIOS rev14

That was a real post...Anyway, you say you tried Neogamma R8 beta15. Did you try the next version, beta16?

Yes, and even beta 17. I am trying something now....got it.

The first few downloads of NeoGamma R8 I got had no WIP files. beta 17 did. But that still didn't work. It turns out the GameID for my copy is SMNE01 instead of just SMNE. After renaming the WIP file to match, it seems to be working (only time will tell).

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
tattar8 said:
OrGoN3 said:
tattar8 said:
OrGoN3 said:
@f1r3sh4rk

Install cIOS rev14

Yes, and even beta 17. I am trying something now....got it.

The first few downloads of NeoGamma R8 I got had no WIP files. beta 17 did. But that still didn't work. It turns out the GameID for my copy is SMNE01 instead of just SMNE. After renaming the WIP file to match, it seems to be working (only time will tell).
Really? They weren't already called that?
When I downloaded my copy they had the proper names... I installed that version on a friend's wii. I still use the alt-dol method because I'm too lazy to mess with it now... and it works, so why should I fix it?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gecko OS does nothing about BCA. If you have a good modchip that handles BCA, Gecko OS will be able to play the game, that's it.

Since you have a WiiKey v1, your chip won't handle BCA. Gecko OS would play it, if the BCA protection was removed. On NeoGamma you can use the included patch to remove it.

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Gecko OS does nothing about BCA. If you have a good modchip that handles BCA, Gecko OS will be able to play the game, that's it.

Since you have a WiiKey v1, your chip won't handle BCA. Gecko OS would play it, if the BCA protection was removed. On NeoGamma you can use the included patch to remove it.

Unfortunately the patch from NeoGamma isn't perfect. I renamed the WIP file to match the game ID (SMNE01 instead of SMNE) and all was good, until a few minutes ago when I got a cannot read disc error.

Edit: I wonder if I should change SMNP.wip to SMNP01.wip.....

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OrGoN3 said:
WiiPower said:

Unfortunately the patch from NeoGamma isn't perfect. I renamed the WIP file to match the game ID (NSME01 instead of NSME) and all was good, until a few minutes ago when I got a cannot read disc error.

Did you enable looking for patches? NeoGamma accepts 4 and 6 digits of the disc id for .wip files.

OrGoN3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
OrGoN3 said:
WiiPower said:

Unfortunately the patch from NeoGamma isn't perfect. I renamed the WIP file to match the game ID (NSME01 instead of NSME) and all was good, until a few minutes ago when I got a cannot read disc error.

Did you enable looking for patches? NeoGamma accepts 4 and 6 digits of the disc id for .wip files.

I did enable looking for patches. When it was simply SMNE.wip it didn't find it. I will try again tomorrow. Are you saying it should associate SMNE.wip with SMNE01 disc id?

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Easiest for me (on a 4.2U Wii with WiiKey) is run NSMBW from NeoGamma R8b7 with the alt dol method. Just throw the modified .dol on the SD card and save the config to use it. Has worked perfectly every time with an unpatched backup disc and an unpatched (but scrubbed) version on a USB stick. I run NeoGamma under cIOS249 r14 like it prefers but it should work equally as well with a trucha patched IOS36.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
did you try patching main.dol manually, and replacing the file into the iso before burning, and running it from disc channel?
You said the disc channel booting was working, but you got the 2min piracy check, so just patch the piracy check and boot with the same method.

you can patch manually the hex address from the SMNE.wip file with the wip's value

adress value
adress value
etc.

or use "Generic Wii Patcher", to automatically patch the main.dol with the SMNE.wip patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ dadadad: блядь