NVIDIA announces Portal with RTX, and RTX Remix modding tool that can upscale retro PC games

Almost 15 years to the day of Portal 1's release, NVIDIA is releasing a version of the game that utilizes ray tracing and AI upscaling. Portal with RTX will be free to all existing owners of Portal on Steam, featuring re-done textures and models, and better lighting--all facets of NVIDIA's RTX technology, serving as a remaster of sorts for the classic game. This news also comes with the announcement of NVIDIA releasing their new RTX Remix modding tool, which allows users to take older games and import their assets into the software, making it easier to release graphical mods for older games that wouldn't normally be able to be modded or have its textures altered. Portal with RTX showcases what can be possible with RTX Remix, with visual improvements shown in a trailer, alongside direct screenshot comparisons between older PC games like The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Mount & Blade that benefit from the ray tracing enhancements.

RTX Remix simplifies and accelerates the art remastering process using AI. AI Super Resolution increases the resolution of the extracted textures by up to 4X, turning 1080p-class textures into higher-quality 4K assets. And AI Physically Based Materials scans the game’s environment to add PBR properties to all extracted assets. As demonstrated by these screenshots from TaleWorlds Entertainment's Mount & Blade, a cobblestone floor immediately goes from a flat surface with a basic texture, to a detailed stone surface with a roughness map that interacts with light realistically.​

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RTX on the source engine? Kind of a meme post processing thing but it's cool to see the engine able to do this. Can't wait to hear Tyler McCucker tell us how this is undeniable proof that the Heavy Update is TOTALLY REAL and happening TONIGHT! or some shit.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm gonna be honest i have barely any idea as to how this works but it sounds super cool. A DX9 wrapper pulls assets into a middleman and then re-renders everything in a new viewport??? someone needs to make an in-depth write up id definitely read it even if it's all technical and confusing

EDIT: NVM its metaverse stuff :/

Last edited by orangy57,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Almost 15 years to the day of Portal 1's release, NVIDIA is releasing a version of the game that utilizes ray tracing and AI upscaling. Portal with RTX will be free to all existing owners of Portal on Steam, featuring re-done textures and models, and better lighting--all facets of NVIDIA's RTX technology, serving as a remaster of sorts for the classic game. This news also comes with the announcement of NVIDIA releasing their new RTX Remix modding tool, which allows users to take older games and import their assets into the software, making it easier to release graphical mods for older games that wouldn't normally be able to be modded or have its textures altered. Portal with RTX showcases what can be possible with RTX Remix, with visual improvements shown in a trailer, alongside direct screenshot comparisons between older PC games like The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Mount & Blade that benefit from the ray tracing enhancements.

Thats pretty cool. Probably not something I would use but its nice to see.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guess I'm the only one that doesn't give a toss about all these super high ultra arcade remix rev2 hyper edition EX plus alpha graphics.
They're nice, but me, I'd prefer more games looking like this, heh.

Reactions: draftguy
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
i'm gonna be honest i have barely any idea as to how this works but it sounds super cool. A DX9 wrapper pulls assets into a middleman and then re-renders everything in a new viewport??? someone needs to make an in-depth write up id definitely read it even if it's all technical and confusing

EDIT: NVM its metaverse stuff :/
It's "metaverse" but it's not the metaverse that Facebook or the crypto dorks keep talking about. They're talking about it in the traditional sense of it basically just being a shared 3D environment. The page for Omniverse doesn't make a single mention of any Cryptographic technology.

Edit: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/omniverse/

Reactions: orangy57

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Guess I'm the only one that doesn't give a toss about all these super high ultra arcade remix rev2 hyper edition EX plus alpha graphics.
They're nice, but me, I'd prefer more games looking like this, heh.

Holy shit I love it. Im gonna play this. And same as you, I dont even care about modern games anymore. Retro is where its at

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: gbatempfan1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".