NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, in fact we are in the thread of this homebrew right now! :D V3 is beta and doesn't have all features yet, i'm using V2.11-2, you can find it here.
The one you linked is Version 2? But the old one crashes for me. Using V3 cuz of it. This should be the same as my old one?

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The one you linked is Version 2? But the old one crashes for me. Using V3 cuz of it. This should be the same as my old one?
yeah, V3 doesn't have an image viewer yet, V2 works fine at least for me, you can try it out it was built with a more recent version of libnx, so the buttons work on newer firmware. That was the only problem I had with the original V2.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, V3 doesn't have an image viewer yet, V2 works fine at least for me, you can try it out it was built with a more recent version of libnx, so the buttons work on newer firmware. That was the only problem I had with the original V2.
V2 just never booted for me lol with latest firmware

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Joel16,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It should work, i'm on 10.0.2 and the version I linked works fine for me. Btw, V2 also has support for zip/rar/7z etc. I just didn't noticed until now.
Yup doesn't work for me I get " this software must be closed because an error occured"
I renamed the nro though. But shouldnt matter.

Any fix?

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

Synecdoche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had an odd issue with this where opening the app would straight up crash the Switch, newest Atmo and on firmware 10.

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can no longer compile version 2.1.x under libnx 3.3.0 Is it possible that the source code would have to be adapted?

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The error messages when compiling usually give a pretty good clue what needs fixing.
Unfortunately, I am overburdened in this respect. Perhaps you have the necessary information for me, what I have to do for it?

Attachments

• 2020-05-28 15_38_18-Transfer Manager.jpg
    2020-05-28 15_38_18-Transfer Manager.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 176

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've cleaned this up a bit more now with the upcoming branch and wish to continue working on this project (hopefully without any distractions this time!). There's going to be many changes between the old and new NX-Shell. I won't be bringing back certain features like FTP anymore since FTPD recently got updated and also uses imGui. You're much better off using that on its own, rather than having it embedded into NX-Shell. NX-Shell (next) will be more focused on pure file management features. Such as the basic file managing functionalities like copy, move, delete, along with some multi-media functions such as opening/viewing images, text, music etc (as well as setting archive bit).

Also checkboxes are coming back in the next update :)
xvu56xm.jpg

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Joel16 That's great news! Will it also be possible to edit files (like ini, txt, etc.) and will it still support unpacking zip archives (maybe other archive formats as well)?

Reactions: Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Joel16 That's great news! Will it also be possible to edit files (like ini, txt, etc.) and will it still support unpacking zip archives (maybe other archive formats as well)?

The next update which should hopefully come in soon most likely won't include text editing, or working with archives. It's mostly a clean-up of the last build along with some fixes and the multiple select feature displayed above. Also I noticed a fork going around of the old NX-Shell, for the record that is built with a broken set archive bit feature. The new beta release will have that fixed.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Joel16 thanks for the heads-up, btw I have a feature request here and it is argvs launching, like run a .Z64 rom file through Mupen64Plus Next (the way it is done with nxlink), providing a JSON file or smth for custom argvs would be neat too! It makes sense as conventional file managers allows opening files with...

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The next update which should hopefully come in soon most likely won't include text editing, or working with archives.
Hmm, this is unfortunate, at least as far as extracting ZIP archives is concerned. In my opinion this was one of the best features of the old NX-Shell version. Among other things, you could extract releases of all kinds directly on the switch and move them to the appropriate layers.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, this is unfortunate, at least as far as extracting ZIP archives is concerned. In my opinion this was one of the best features of the old NX-Shell version. Among other things, you could extract releases of all kinds directly on the switch and move them to the appropriate layers.

There's not a lot going on right now so updates may be coming more frequently. I wouldn't count that off for too long.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU