NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

HellsBoyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
A forwarder is an app to be installed that loads an NRO from a specified location and launches the tool or HB menu in high memory mode. This is similar to the "Title Override" which is done by starting any installed title while holding down the R button. I have attached a HB-menu forwarder which accesses the hbmenu.nro in the SD-card root when it is installed. All HB applications started over it will be executed in high memory mode.
Thanks. Just put the extracted files into root of SD card or I need to do something else?

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just put the extracted files into root of SD card or I need to do something else?
You have to install the HomebrewMenu.nsp file via an NSP installer to be able to start the forwarder from the home menu. Also, the hbmenu.nro must be present in the SD card root.
The HomebrewMenu.nsp file can also be deleted after installation.

Last edited by Muxi,
Reactions: HellsBoyz

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After almost a 2 year break and hundreds of crashes later, you can expect an update on NX-Shell soon. This is going to be a much needed update, with a lot of user friendly changes and under the hood changes as well. This will probably will be the last major update because I didn't want to leave this project dead as it is. (You can expect the occasional bugfixes/hotfixes if necessary) Here are some screenshots:

2022080419241300-A282CE99633B844E0497DB963451D670.jpg

2022080419235500-A282CE99633B844E0497DB963451D670.jpg

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After almost a 2 year break and hundreds of crashes later, you can expect an update on NX-Shell soon. This is going to be a much needed update, with a lot of user friendly changes and under the hood changes as well. This will probably will be the last major update because I didn't want to leave this project dead as it is. (You can expect the occasional bugfixes/hotfixes if necessary) Here are some screenshots:

Welcome back man!

I see your name on my Switch, 3DS and PSV…just wanted to say thank you!

Reactions: Dutt and Joel16

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Welcome back to the party, savior!

Reactions: Joel16

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome your back and picking the project back up. Keep it up. Just quick question. Are you gonna implement some way to be able to manage files on an external hdd/flashdrive?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

:hrth:
:wub:

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So happy to hear NX-Shell is not done for, it’s pretty much appreciated, at the same time it being the last major update leaves out the chances of including a text editor :c

NX-Shell v4.00

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺. Can this make the front page 👀?

2022080611265300-A282CE99633B844E0497DB963451D670.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

Download

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I’m testing it and I like the smaller font, it allows to check files quickly in less scrolls.
I’m having problems with the B button though, I’m so used to use it to go to previous folder, now I need to scrolling up until “..”, it could be possible set the ZR (or R) to change the focus to select Device or Settings? And leave B to go to the previous folder?

Reactions: Bricked and Medel87

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m testing it and I like the smaller font, it allows to check files quickly in less scrolls.
I’m having problems with the B button though, I’m so used to use it to go to previous folder, now I need to scrolling up until “..”, it could be possible set the ZR (or R) to change the focus to select Device or Settings? And leave B to go to the previous folder?
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that was removed, because pressing "B" will take you out of the filebrowser tab, and I don't want to mess too much with imGui code. That's why ".." will be the only way to go back up.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Joel16 , my friend. I'm not a member of the switch scene, but I saw your name, and I just had to respond. It's nice to see you're still developing. How have you been?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Toxic pills are best
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Toxic pills are best