Obsidian's The Outer Worlds has been announced for the Nintendo Switch

Obsidian Entertainment's latest RPG, a sci-fi adventure called The Outer Worlds, will be coming to the Nintendo Switch. Originally announced for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, this game will be brought to the Switch, courtesy of Virtuos, who was previously credited with porting L.A. Noire to the Switch, as well as being the team behind the Final Fantasy X and X-2 remaster. While The Outer Worlds launches on the Epic Games Store, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 later this year on October 25th, the Nintendo Switch version will release sometime after.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The E3 trailer made this game look like a wannabe Borderlands or Fortnite. Overly color-saturated FPS games trying to be so hip and goofy. Only reason why this game ever got attention is because of the Fallout community's massive circlejerking over Fallout:New Vegas.
Obsidian is a much better developer than Bethesda in general, and their credits date all the way back to when their founders worked on Planescape: Torment and Fallout 1 and 2 as a part of Black Isle. So it didn't surprise me when their take on a modern Fallout game turned out better than the others.

Hmmm, epic store sellouts, nah I'm gonna skip.
IIRC this is gonna be available for PC on the Microsoft store day one too, or at the very least on Game Pass. If I can't buy it there, I'll stick with the TPB exclusive version until I can transfer my save to the Steam version. This is the game I was most looking forward to this year, so the exclusivity announcement really pissed me off, especially with Obsidian having no say in the matter. Take-Two is the publisher, and they made that decision.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: DCG

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are getting hyperbolic about it because they watch digital foundry or similar type videos that highlight the absolute worst performance. Ive seen people make a huge deal out of games dropping a 3 fps from the target every now and then because they just dont have the proper context.

I get what you mean, but on one of the final boss fights near the end of Bloodstained ROTN, the boss does an attack that, when there's a lot of physics objects on screen, for the PS4 version (doesn't matter if you have the Pro or not, really goes to show how pointless of an upgrade that thing was), the FPS takes hard dip into the teens. Just think, they could have solved that problem if they, for the console ports, did some workarounds to make sure that didn't happen. Make the physics objects pre-rendered sprites (they're literally on screen for a few seconds, no one's gonna notice), occlude areas from being rendered that are not being displayed on screen, lower the texture resolutions for everything, all basic work to make something run on a device that isn't a i7-8700k processin', GTX 1080 graffikin', 16GB-totin' monster of a gaming PC like what yours truly's got!

'MURICA! FUCK YEAH!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
hang on a second, obsidian invented vats back when they made the original fallout games (they were known as Black Isle Studios). Bethesda fallout games are way behind Obsidian, even new vegas is several times better than fallout 3.
V.A.T.S was introduced in Fallout 3, Fallout 1 and 2 were based on normal turn-based principles. The closest thing to V.A.T.S would be the way Fallout Tactics worked, but that too was a bit different. I've been a fan since the first instalment, but you gotta give credit where credit is due. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L system as a whole, the groundwork for the series was a hastily put together replacement for G.U.R.P.S.

People are getting hyperbolic about it because they watch digital foundry or similar type videos that highlight the absolute worst performance. Ive seen people make a huge deal out of games dropping a 3 fps from the target every now and then because they just dont have the proper context.
A well-developed game shouldn't miss its target framerate by that high of a margin in any circumstances - if it does, you have to cut corners in that particular area.

I get what you mean, but on one of the final boss fights near the end of Bloodstained ROTN, the boss does an attack that, when there's a lot of physics objects on screen, for the PS4 version (doesn't matter if you have the Pro or not, really goes to show how pointless of an upgrade that thing was), the FPS takes hard dip into the teens. Just think, they could have solved that problem if they, for the console ports, did some workarounds to make sure that didn't happen. Make the physics objects pre-rendered sprites (they're literally on screen for a few seconds, no one's gonna notice), occlude areas from being rendered that are not being displayed on screen, lower the texture resolutions for everything, all basic work to make something run on a device that isn't a i7-8700k processin', GTX 1080 graffikin', 16GB-totin' monster of a gaming PC like what yours truly's got!

'MURICA! FUCK YEAH!
The PS4 Pro performs significantly better than the OG PS4 across the board, the fact that some developers don't optimise their games to take advantage of the extra horsepower is irrelevant.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hang on a second, obsidian invented vats back when they made the original fallout games (they were known as Black Isle Studios). Bethesda fallout games are way behind Obsidian, even new vegas is several times better than fallout 3.
Nice to see someone knows their stuff in relation to classics! :D

...but I still gotta correct you a bit. The original fallout games were straight up turn based. Yes, you could aim for specific body parts (usually at the expense of percentage chance to make the actual hit). But I first heard of the term "VATS" in fallout 3. And that was (and I presume still is) a hybrid between a shooter and turn based gameplay (read: time was seriously slowed down, but you couldn't just take half an hour to perform higher math to manually calculate your best shot).

So the origin of VATS can best be described as an evolution of the earlier system. IMHO, it's fair to say that both bethesda and black isle studios (the then to-be obsidian crew) contributed to the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game